• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pics of M-60 at Ypsilanti Michigan VFW

ida34

Hear are some pics of an M-60 I came across in Ypsilanti Michigan. One of my M1009's can be seen in the background. Incidently, does anyone know how one get a loan of one of these from the government for display like this? I would love to try to get a project together to get one for display at my local American Legion. My son can be seen in one picture taking his own picture. He is huge and only 13 yoa.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hope they take care of that beast - a lot of VFWs and Foreign Legions have been getting visits by the DoD. Seems that a lot of really interesting and historically significant vehicles of all types are missing from the military's collection, and now there's a push by the DoD to go back around to these places to see if the VFWs and FLs are taking care of their loaner vehicles. If they are, they can keep them. If not, they get towed back to Uncle Sam's storage yards and eventually restored. A friend of mine has documented this, where pristine items at VFWs are kept in place, but ones all rusted up and spray painted 14 colors are towed away by the feds.

Our local VFW doesn't have something this cool, just some field piece (haven't gotten a good look to see what it is). 50 miles from me in Culpeper, VA, where I used to live, is an M56 Scorpion, very rare now, and the one there is in really crappy shape. Hope Uncle Sam drives by with a flatbed someday to save it from the drunken vets who run that post.

gmayor

To get these tanks or other items they have a web site. The headquarters is out of Warrne MI. I'll search around for it. I was able to get two M60s about 3 years ago through them for display at St. Robert, MO. We painted one like a Marine Corps tank and one came with a good Army three color pattern. They have a lot of requirements but not too bad. It can be done. Your right they loan them out and every year you have to take pictures and send them in.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
gmayor said:
To get these tanks or other items they have a web site. The headquarters is out of Warrne MI. I'll search around for it. I was able to get two M60s about 3 years ago through them for display at St. Robert, MO. We painted one like a Marine Corps tank and one came with a good Army three color pattern. They have a lot of requirements but not too bad. It can be done. Your right they loan them out and every year you have to take pictures and send them in.
Hey, please make sure you post it here. I'd like to try and get something neat set up for the guys in my town, something better than what they got already. I don't think there are any rules preventing a VFW from having more than one display.

gmayor

I couldn't find it so I called the city who had to sign for it. The POC was Ms Tyler at 586-574-8210, her e-mail was donations@tacom.army.mil If you want to write the address is: Commander, US Army Tank-Automotive and Armaments Command, 6501 East 11 Mile Road ATTN: AMSTA-LC-CID Warren, MI 48397-5000. This should be good about 4 years old. We got one M60 from Fort Wood and one from Fort Drum, NY. We had to pay to transport from both locations from Fort Drum it was over $20,000, but used the same transporter to run onto Fort Wood to get that one. Hope this helps and good luck.

ida34

It does help. As luck may have it I have driven by the Warren plant several times. I could go in person for about 30 minutes driving time. I will post when I have made any forward momentum.

maxim

Yes there are quite a few tanks in Michigan, Shelby, Mancelona, Custer, Manistee, Grand Rapids, just to name a few. M-60's and Shermans. And yes, I know about 15 years ago a group who got a M-60 that was delivered and DROVE off the trailer. They also got a Huey. They were instructed to weld the hatches and breeches as the guns still appeared live in the M-60. The Gov't came to check a few years later, and the task was not done and the equipment was retrieved promptly.

davesgmc

I know of a m60 that Was deliverd also as a complete running tank. I saw it driven off the transposrt, IT now sit on a concrete pad all hatches welded (very slopily) shut, barrel plugged and welded up, I can only imagine the interior is, or probably was all there. complete and all work, but probably full of water by now. Quite a shame. And if one thinks about it, it probably wouldnt take much to resore it back to operating condition. a big plasma cutter to get hatches back open, a grinder to take welds off, and can of fuel,,,,,,start it up and drive it away.......just dreaming, back to real world now.............

67Beast

I have heard that the tank in Shelby ran when parked there and that the Shelby VFW post pulled the motor. They mounted it on a trailer and use to pull it in parades and would run it and rev it up of the crowds. Now I just need to find the barn they keep that in, a little late night wrenching and away we go. :D

houdel

Boy, do I feel old. When I was on AD, M-48s were still in service, the M-60 was just entering service, and now they are collector's items! Interestingly, I got my military driver's license certified for the M-35 about the same year my Deuce was made - 1970!

AJMBLAZER

I'm a little late to the game but the VFW in Caledonia, MI (about 15 minutes south of Grand Rapids on M37) has a M60 sitting right in front of it right off of M37.

It USED to run and they'd drive it around on July 4th and Veterans day. If my memory serves me they got it in the early-mid-90's. I've been away from that area for most of the past 10 years but every time I go home it's in the exact same spot...don't think they drive/can move it anymore.

Anybody been through Grayling, MI lately? The stuff in front of the VFW has been getting pretty ratty. Wonder if they've been visited...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks