• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Saracen

jake-cutter

Any Saracen owners? I am considering purchasing one and wanted to know of any pros and cons? I am currently looking at importing one from the UK, since it seems difficult to find running ones in the US at decent prices.

Thanks,
Jake

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
6-wheeled British Armored PC. Rolls Royce 8cyl engine. Carried 8 men and a .30 cal on top. Pretty sweet. Ryan Gill will prolly chime in here as he is one of our resident British Armor guys.

Attachments

Jimmy

Jake,

I own a Mk-6 Saracen. The only problem I have had so far is the carb and the ignition system, no offense to the British but their electrical systems are junk, I am currently changing it over to an electronic ign system.

Good Luck,
Jimmy

davemccoull

A friend of mine over here in U.K. has three Alvis Stalwarts which use all same running gear as Saracen. He runs his on L.P.G. as they only do about 3 mpg. He has had no trouble with ignition, but the system is basically a civilian one which is sealed and sheilded for radio operation. I wouldn,t swap one for my Deuce!.
Importing one into U.S. will be a lot easier than us trying to import stuff into U.K. Our goverment depts seem more laxed than in the States!

davesgmc

My ferrets elect system seems to be pretty sound, I have had no unusual probelms with it,,,,yet. I ahve gone through and re-done quite a bit of it to make it a bit more durable, But I plan on doing the same with the m211 eventually too. I would love to ahvea Saracen, almost bought one locally here, but lost out on bidding because of time, oh well there are always plenty more out there,,,someday.

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
No experience with them but I think they'll be very hard to find parts for in USA. Difficult to find majors in UK, expensive to get anything shipped over.Hard to work on driveline.Run flats odd size, prob very expensive.Drivetrain windup(pavement) hard on bevel boxes, tracta joints and tyres.Hubs can be unlocked by removing the sun wheels or driveshafts pulled for street use(d.s. easier to pull than Stalwart's?).Lucas electrics.B series engine sturdy but an F head.

Probably worth all the hassles.
Probably better to find the best one possible
Joe G was trying to sell his MK6 in Buffalo.25K in Dec.PM me if you need his #.

JimK

jake-cutter

Actually, Khaki Corp has lots of parts and stocks the Saracen from time to time. Joe sold his Saracen. I am still looking, but haven't come across anything yet. I am also looking for a Ferret Mk2, with limited success.

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
I just googled Khaki Corp and didn't get it.Can you provide a location or contact #.

They may have parts but Murphy [law] says not always the one you need.

JimK

p.s.the transfer case has slightly higher ratio gears to get the same road speed with the smaller 12" tyers [as Stalwart 14x20's]

rmgill

The FV series vehicles from the 50s are all pretty complex and Very capable for their size and weight. If they're taken care of they're quite reliable. Leave the servicing off or abuse them badly and they show it all over the place. I've had nary a problem with my wiring on my ferret. If you have problems with the wiring or the ignition system, look for damage or failed condensers respectively. Ferrets can suffer from needed new condensers and i'd expect that Saracens would too.

A Saracen is a beast going down the road though and a deuce has nothing on one of them. I still ponder having a saracen in my collection but I just have no physical room for one.

jake-cutter

I have found a few leads on Saracens and a couple more on Ferrets. Still nothing concrete. I know of a couple of Saracens that are going to be imported in a few months, but no idea on condition. I would still like to find something here ready to go and drive home in.

datadawg

I think when you get one you will like it. It is diferent than anything I have ever driven before, many hours of fun.
I can confirm Saracen is a beast to drive. It makes my 5 ton feel like a Ferrari, though I'm sure with more experience behind the wheel, things get easier. When you are driving in town and have someone sitting up in the turret, people are pulling over to whip out their phones for videos. Guys in pickup trucks sit there with jaws on their laps and everyone is waiving to you. I have driven mine twice now, and got it to 32 miles an hour, I was scared sh**tless to go faster. It's got 4 wheel steer, so it tends to crab on the road, though I'm told it's a matter of skill and experience to drive it straight. It was exhilarating to drive, you feel like Arnold, Stallone and James Bond all at once.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks