• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Info/Pics needed of M8/M8A1/M8E2 tractor

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This was the tractor based on the M41 Walker Bulldog tank chassis that was used to tow the Skysweeper AA cannon back in the 1950s. Most served in Germany or Japan in the post-WWII theatre of ops. Very few survive, and my efforts to find any information on them has since been fruitless, except for what I have listed above, and one or two pics from the Internet. Looking for more info on the tractor, especially pictures. Any help is appreciated.

Here's a sample pic of the tractor to show what it basically looked like:

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, I saw that site too, but the pic of the Sam Winer one is new to me.

rd_a : Got the pics from that site, now you know by searching the web that there is relatively little on this MV. From what I understand, most served overseas during the Cold War, and most never came back. They were simply scrapped OCONUS. So, very few survive in any collections, much fewer than WWII high-speed tractors that were made in much greater numbers, and many never left the USA before the war was over.

rd_anderson20

MadDawg,

There is very little info out there. David Doyle's Standard Catalog of US Military Vehicles (a fantastic resource) states that Allis-Chalmers was given a contract for 480 units in July 1950. Good luck with your info search, I'd love to have some tracked armor.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
I've also done a book specifically on High Speed Tractors that has a lot of photos in it. I should be home this weekend, so I should be to email you a photo (and another fellow his GOER photos too).

If you wanna buy a high speed tractor book - they are available various places on the net, or straight from me for $20.00 including postage to U.S. addresses.

Best wishes,
David Doyle

From the archives

Back in the 60's, Aurora Model Company made many kits of armor and tracked vehicles. I kept the cover of the instruction sheet, even though the model itself got busted. It's 1/48 scale didn't fit in with the 1/35 scale I was getting from other companies, so it hasn't been rebuilt. I may have the pieces in the parts box, hoping to use the platform or the dozer blade on some kitbashed item.

Here are some scans of the instruction sheet cover.

Edit:

Sorry, just realized the information must have been continued on the back of the instruction sheet which disappeared about 40 years ago! :oops:

Attachments

jimtown

M8E2 Spec Sheet

My husband is restoring an M8E2 Tank Retriever. I'd found this spec sheet on eBay a while back. I'm brand new here, and to this type of posting, so I'll try to figure out how to get images uploaded.

Attachments

dittle

I feel sorry for the crew members that had to ride in the back of that tractor. I've been running our M41A2 around over the summer and know how loud/hot that engine gets back there. Can't imagine having to ride on top of that thing. Neat little tractor though, I'm sure it worked pretty good.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anybody want one of these monsters, for real, PM me, there is a secret stash of these here in Texas that I know about. They are basket cases w/o packs, tracks, misc . . .

Gatorman

The engine is in the front of the M8 unlike the M41. I own a running M8E2 High Speed Tractor among M4's and other MV's.
The M41 Tank has always been one of favorites.
Thanks, Dale

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks