• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need help, SBC, 700R4, Divorced 205 Conversion

troop2865

Hey guys, I could use some help from those who have done engine conversions before. When I purchased my truck it had a SBC 350 with stock running gear. The firewall had been hammered in for clearance. I cut the motor mounts off the frame and moved them forward as far as practical. I used the motor mounts that were on the engine when I bought it. I have the engine and transmission in now. The frame sits at 0 degrees and I have the engine/trans at 3 degrees to the rear.

For some reason, the transmission looks higher than I thought it would set. If I weld a mount to the top of the old transmission cross member, it looks like it would be close. I have enclosed some pictures. I would simply set the cab back on and check clearance but it is at a shop being painted over a haff hour away. Can anyone tell me the transmission tunnel clearance to the top of the frame, or give me any advice. I would like to make the transmission and T/C mount, remove the drive train and sandblast and paint the frame before the body is ready. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

bcowanwheels

The t-caase needs to be perfectly linned up with the crankshaft centerline."no exceptions" if not it will kill u-joints and the trans and end up hurting the crankshaft. Done alot of them....

troop2865

Does the transmission on my truck look higher than those you have done? If I had the cab here I would test fit it, but it is a half hour away at the body shop.

Thanks for helping out.

troop2865

I used the motor mounts that were in the truck from the SBC conversion that was mated to the stock transmission. I guess that means I need to lower the motor mounts, or make some new ones.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks