• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M 715 rebuilt carb, now idles rough and then dies

Knottofs

Hey, my 1967, M 715, has been running great, started without ever even touching the gas peddle. But last week the O ring in the carb went out. Cleaned it out and rebuilt the whole card, reset the points, and now I have to press the gas peddle a number of times just to get it started, and as soon as I let off the gas, it dies on me. Any ideas on fixing it would be mighty appreciated. Thanks, Nate

acetomatoco

that little Holley should not be a problem to rebuild... sounds like a vacuum leak or a misplaced part from your rebuild...or you messed up the distributor... ACE

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Another thing is to check timing. The 230 will run fine with some crazy timing degrees and not show up till something like this happens.

Knottofs

Haven’t rebuilt this type of carb before, but have others. If it’s a vacuum leek, when I got it everything was pretty much plugged, and ran fine. If I can get the scamatics for that, ill redo everything. And I can’t see how I could have messed it up with the rebuilt being so simple. I have not checked the timing. Heading out of town until Tuesday next week. I appreciate all the info. Thanks, Nate

Knottofs

Haven’t rebuilt this type of carb before, but have others. If it’s a vacuum leek, when I got it everything was pretty much plugged, and ran fine. If I can get the scamatics for that, ill redo everything. And I can’t see how I could have messed it up with the rebuilt being so simple. I have not checked the timing. Heading out of town until Tuesday next week. I appreciate all the info. Thanks, Nate

Barrman

Look at your needle and seat. Assuming everything is exactly the same as before, I would say you have some dirt at the float or between the float bowl and the nozzles.

My stock engine would run perfect like you described for months. Then it would start running like you described with no warning. I would remove the top of the carb, blow air through everything and put it back together. Be fine for a few more weeks. I had two clear fuel filters between the pump and carb and they would both fill up with crud. I would change them everytime I did the carb blow out. I finally pulled the tank and had a radiator shop boil it clean. Haven't had to changed a filter in almost 3 years now.

Knottofs

Found a tiny little piece of rubber hidden at the needle valve. After I run the tank down im going to take your advice and get the tank steamed cleaned like you suggested. Right now its running good, just a little hesitant shifting in-between 1st and 2ed. But ill recheck everything after I get the take done.
Hey, thanks for the info. Nate

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks