• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just got the reg and plate for my M931A2 from the Ca. DMV

BrainP

only took 2 visits to the dmv and one to the CHP, but i got em. title should be here in 2-3 weeks. yay! if you have any questions on what is need and what is possible, i would be happy to share what i learned.

BrainP

i opted for the heavier weight tag, but i had the option of registering it at any weight. for a CGVW of 50k it was $1100. i could have done it for as low as $565 for 26k, but that would only give me 6k of cargo and trailer weight.

BrainP

in Ca. all trucks are registered commercially, even personal pickups. i signed a statement of fact that i wont use it commercially so as long as its older than '98 i dont have to smog it, just like any other personal diesel truck.

Titan2248

I pick up my M931A2 on 2/4. I would love any info you can provide. I am getting it from FTF technologies in San Clemente. I am not hauling, towing, and it is not for hire, just my big weekend toy for the desert. Do you have a class "B", I inquired where I am picking up and they said I dont need a class B, my "C" would be enough, they said they have 2 ways to go around it, a modified vehicle or weight certificate. What was the visit to the CHP for? Thanks for any info you can provide.

quickfarms

I pick up my M931A2 on 2/4. I would love any info you can provide. I am getting it from FTF technologies in San Clemente. I am not hauling, towing, and it is not for hire, just my big weekend toy for the desert. Do you have a class "B", I inquired where I am picking up and they said I dont need a class B, my "C" would be enough, they said they have 2 ways to go around it, a modified vehicle or weight certificate. What was the visit to the CHP for? Thanks for any info you can provide.
Who ever told you a class B I not required for a M931A2 has never read CA VC section 12804.9. Under a class C you are only allowed to drive a three axle vehicle under 6000 lbs.

I do not know what a modified vehicle is. Pleas provide the CA VC citation.

A weight certificate is just an agreed weight for paying the weight fees. If you ever get weighed over the weight you have paid for they usually assess the back fees and fines from they day you bought the truck at the max GVW.

What are you going to do about CARB?

Titan2248

thanks for the info. I am just going to get my class B so I am sure I will be in compliance. As far as the CARB rules, its my understanding if you go Historical Vehicle route you would be exempt from the rules. I also heard/read if you don't use the vehicle for commercial purposes you are also exempt?? I have my appointment with the DMV on Tuesday. so when I get everything figured out I will post any issues/complaints on the site for others to learn.

Reaper651

About the title, Did your truck have one already or did you have to apply for one? I ask because I'm looking at a deuce that was never registered and never had a title. It was bought by a private community and never left. CA DMV told me that I can fill out an application for title, provide a bill of sale and get the VIN Verified and I get my title. They said it didn't matter that it was never titled and The new title would be for the year the truck was made(1971) and Would NOT be registered as a brand new vehicle. Did you have the same experience?

Titan2248

Yes my truck is coming with a clear title and an (SF-97). I pick up the truck tomorrow. I plan on registering it as a RV House car. It has a 12L x 8W x 6 1/2'H enclosed cargo box mounted on the rear. RV house car and Historical Vehicle are the only routes you can go where you are exempt from the CARB requirements that take effect next year. My truck ID # is 111262321900 if you would like to check out the pics on Ebay, where I bid/bought it from. There are over 400 pics so it will take a a minute to load.

Reaper651

Very cool. Should be an awesome truck. I have also heard that you can fill out a statement of fact saying that you will not use the truck commercially, and they will exempt you from CARB laws too. I'm not 100% sure that's true but I have heard it from multiple people. Just a thought. It will be the coolest RV on the road for sure. Best of luck with your new Truck!!

I recently heard a dept head of CHP is clamping down on MV registrations, no more RV titles i think, Im having a **** of a time getting insurance for my M931A2, im wating on several underwriters that want to screw me for commercial rates, and Gulfway has changed policy to no trucks younger than 25 years.

Titan2248

I recently heard a dept head of CHP is clamping down on MV registrations, no more RV titles i think, Im having a **** of a time getting insurance for my M931A2, im wating on several underwritners that want to screw me for commercial rates, and Gulfway has changed policy to no trucks younger than 25 years.

I actually received my title and a refund check for $1000.00 in the mail from the DMV 3 days ago. Its registered as an RV. I had to submit paperwork to the local DMV stating such. It has a portable toilet, sink, sleeping quarters and such. since it has the cargo box on the back it was not hard for me to convince them that I could live back there. might be a lot harder if you just have the normal open truck bed. Next year I'm going historic vehicle and that will save me a ton of money for registration.

quickfarms

How hard is it to get a box like that? looks like its from a deuce
It looks like an S-280 type of shelter. I have one that I purchased for some parts. After they are removed I would consider selling it.

To qualify as a RV, housecar, in California the shelter needs to be modified for human habitation and have a list of required features.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks