• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Search Tutorial?

prairie

Could someone give advice on doing searches? I can seldom ever find what I want using the search feature of this site, or any other site for that matter. Then the site "nannies" have a good time telling me to use the search feature when I ask a question on something that has been covered many times.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, when you search, it helps a lot to search in the applicable forums to narrow down your results. Of course, this is useless when members post in the wrong forums. ;-)

Give me an example of what you might want to search for, and I'll tell you how I would search for it.

prairie

Need to replace the shocks on my M1008. It has a 1" lift and the front axle moved forward 1" via an ORD ZeroRate.
Was wondering what the standard shocks were, and if I needed a shock with a little more travel range. I am running 35" tires on steel rims
The part numbers I cam up with from the Tech. Manuals were, front #3187843 & rear # 3187846
I have had very little luck using part numbers from the technical manuals. The guys at the auto parts stores look at you like you want parts for an alien space vehicle. For most parts it is usually best to just tell them that it is for a 1984 Chevy K30 diesel.
Was just wanting suggestions as to brands and size that have worked best in similar set ups.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First off, those are GM part numbers, specifically AC Delco part numbers. They work at a dealer.

If your parts house can't cross reference, you may want to try another supplier.

So, your interested to know what shocks others have used with your setup?

I don't recall anyone ever posting that they did a 1" lift.

I would do an advanced search in the cucv, and cucv modifications forums for shock length & lift or axle forward & shock length, or longer shock & axle forward...

Off the top of my head, I'd say you simply need a shock that's 2" longer stroke than stock. My local NAPA guy can tell me what I would need, or any off road suspension supplier (online).

cpf240

On the search question, I like to use google or DuckDuckGo, something like this: CUCV m1008 shocks site:steelsoldiers.com

I put CUCV to try and limit the results to the specific forum, though it doesn't always work.

On the shock question, when I replaced them on my M1009, I used RS5000's that were listed as fitting a stock Blazer. The Rancho application guide said they were good for up to a 2" lift as well.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
While I do agree the newest site search is less efficient that the old one, You must realize that most topics have been covered and there by there will be many many threads on them. That does require more time to find what you need, but persistence usually pays off.

If you want to help this problem, use descriptive titles, search before posting, spell correctly, and add on to existing threads that pertain to your topic or you own trucks.

Just today I noticed a new guy has 4 threads(2 in the wrong forums) all about the truck he just received today. In this case, why not maintain a thread on your own truck, and continue it as you progress?

Golden eagle has done this and it is not only a great read, it covers everything from purchase to now. And he continues it as he goes.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
One more thing on the search issue, one reason it is hard to find a fix answer, there is a LARGE number of "What is wrong with my truck, how can I fix it" threads, but very few of these threads have the END FIX included, so the thread is about worthless in looking for a fix to the problem.

Drews thread about his non-running deuce is what a "what is wrong" thread should look like,
1 - it had the problum,
2 - the testing to find out what was wrong,
3 - the fix,
4 - and the cause

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I really think if people would take the time to schroll the mouse over the thread and read the whole title instead just the first few words that shows it the list of searched threads . And then read some of the threads that even remotely have information what your searching for ,you might find what your looking for . If nothing else you learn something you can use later. But think the biggest problem is people expecting instant answers with very little to no effort on their part. Which doesn't do them a bit of good when they break down and their is no wi-fi or cellular service where they are at.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Also, I prefer "search Nazi" to "site nanny".

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This was said today, and I liked it so much it is part of my sig line now.

Some are so self-consumed that they never even recognize the offerd help for what it is.

It truly applies to this topic and the OPs site nannie comment.

I have been accused of many many descriptive things, when in fact I was only offering help.

As long as the smiles overwhelm the frowns at the end of the day, I'll keep trying.

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This thread

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...h-SS-(Better-Search-Results)&highlight=search

is where I posted this:

To update the Google FU for everyone............

Common Google Hacking Searches using Google's interface

Say you want every thread with tires in it:
intitle:tires site:steelsoldiers.com

Say you know that what you are looking for is a PDF file on the site:
filetype:pdf site:steelsoldiers.com

But you only want PDF files with M939 in them:
filetype:pdf site:steelsoldiers.com m939

Say you want specific text inside the thread:
allintext:duece site:steelsoldiers.com

The last one returns every thread that has Deuce in (spelled correctly) and maybe you want to narrow it down a little:
allintext:deuce brake lines site:steelsoldiers.com

I have the two Google hacking books sitting right in front of me if there are any questions. Some searches combine well and others not so much.

This is also the kind of stuff you use in doing recon on a website and you can search for password files on the Internet (yes, some people have them up) and even spreadsheets that have Social Security numbers in them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks