• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Patracy's "SEMTT"

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well I pulled the trigger on a cab. Now to get it down here from NY. Like Soni's FEMTT, this one will end up on a 6x6 chassis. But it'll be a M931 or M923, and just a lowly NHC 250 or 8.3. Anyone heading south from NY?

M920

Congratulations on your purchase! I'm sure glad to see, that you went with one of the new Mk48 cabs! It makes the project so much more exciting, to end up with a truck that feels like a brand new vehicle, that just rolled out the factory at Oshkosh, when you go for your first ride in it! :driver:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah I kept going back and forth on it. But you're right, if I start with an old cab, I'm going to end up with a "old" truck. I believe I've located a gearbox to adapt the steering as well. I was considering flipping the steering box and making custom linkage. But you're approach is much simpler after I studied the work that would have been involved.

M920

I thought about flipping the steering box on mine, but as you pointed out there are a lot of modifications involved and by keeping all the stock setup, spares will be readily available if needed!
I can supply the Hub City gear box model and part number if you need it. I went with Hub City, because the other two gear boxes, for the steering in the Mk48 cab, are made by them and I figured Oshkosh did their home work on the quality of that product. (Of course they could have just been the lowest bidder to....lol)

M920

use a steering box out of a cab over. cheap and easy to find.
Oh, I forgot to mention the most important part: you can't just flip the existing box! It will result in the wrong rotation and the vehicle will go left when you turn the wheel to the right!!!! :shock: You have to have a box of a HEMTT or LVS for this to work.

So I don't think the cab over box will work, since it does not have a reversed rotation input....

Scarecrow1

Good find I hope the recovery goes well. I envy those of you with the foresight to take on a project like that. I complain when I have to take the time to trace down a problem like my fuel gauge not working. But I like to see the progress when you guys do the impossible ........

M920

Oh, I forgot to mention the most important part: you can't just flip the existing box! It will result in the wrong rotation and the vehicle will go left when you turn the wheel to the right!!!! :shock: You have to have a box of a HEMTT or LVS for this to work.

So I don't think the cab over box will work, since it does not have a reversed rotation input....
Ok....I guess I'm still waking up....My apologies, my statement above is wrong! I just remembered that YOU COULD FLIP THE BOX as far as the rotation goes. The problem is that the large part of the steering boxes body will interfere with the pitman arm!

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Cool! Any photoshop pics of what this rig will look like?
It will depend on the chassis I get. But it will either end up like Soni's FEMTT, or like the 6x6 HEMTT prototypes. If I find another 931, it'll be more like Soni's. If I find a 923. It will end up like this pic, only with the crane in the middle or a winch.

My project will probably commence much slower than Soni's though.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Actually, I'm about ready to just commit to chopping up my 931 for this project. Need to ask Soni something first though...

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Cool project!! will this be a working truck? as every day or ? Keep the pictures coming as this looks like an interesting project
Honestly it'll be nothing more than a toy like the rest of my trucks. I'm just a 'puter geek that likes big green iron.

goldneagle

It will depend on the chassis I get. But it will either end up like Soni's FEMTT, or like the 6x6 HEMTT prototypes. If I find another 931, it'll be more like Soni's. If I find a 923. It will end up like this pic, only with the crane in the middle or a winch.

My project will probably commence much slower than Soni's though.
I wish I knew sooner about you needing a M931. I have one stuck at my friend's shop for 5 months now trying to get him to repair the rusty cab floor. All he managed to do so far was cut the rusty sections out. That was 4 months ago. No progress since.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Will it make the GA Rally this year?
I guess I should try to, I've got a lot on the plate to get it converted and the M750 made into an RV. I guess I will just focus on converting this and fixing the M750's brakes. The 750 will at least be something I can throw a portable toilet and cots in to camp out of.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I guess I should try to, I've got a lot on the plate to get it converted and the M750 made into an RV. I guess I will just focus on converting this and fixing the M750's brakes. The 750 will at least be something I can throw a portable toilet and cots in to camp out of.
Just cut a hole in the floor

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks