• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Dump Truck Conversion

DeuceSiek

I am in the process of installing a lift hoist in my 1972 M35A2. I will try to include as many details as I can so it will be informative for other members attempting to do a similar conversion.

I purchased a Harsh RL-D40 hoist kit with a 24V power pack. Total price was $2300.00. This lift will have the ability to dump over 10 tons to a 55 degree angle.

DSC_0252.jpg

Started off by removing the sides.
DSC_0255.jpg

Then disconnecting all of the lights, and removing all of the bolts securing the bed to the frame.
DSC_0269.jpgDSC_0280.jpg
DSC_0276.jpgDSC_0279.jpg

Harsh D40 hoist. I was very impressed with the quality and craftsmanship of this assembly.
DSC_0271.jpgDSC_0273.jpg

DeuceSiek

The frame should be shortened to move the hinge point closer to the center trunnion. This allows for increased dumping capacity and better load stabilization.
DSC_0286.jpgDSC_0287.jpgDSC_0294.jpgDSC_0295.jpgDSC_0296.jpg

DeuceSiek

Sorry it took me so long to get back to everyone, I am using a 24V electric over hydraulic power pack. I will post pictures when I get to that stage of the conversion. The hinge will be welded to the frame and boxed in.

DeuceSiek

Hopefully next weekend I can get the dump body sub frame complete using 4x2 steel tubing. The sub frame serves 2 functions. It makes the body changeable. And provides the spacing required for the hoist without cutting the bed x-members.

Mud Hugger

So the bed will be 4" higher than stock off he truck? Should beef it up also....I don't think the stock bed rails are stong enough by themselves continued use as a dump bed, I'm putting 2x5 tube inside the stock rails for added strength. Maybe I should do what your doing. Hmmmm.....thanks for the pics and info. Helps me out and makes me think.

DeuceSiek

I agree with you, I think the added strength is important. And yes, the bed will be 4" higher than on the stock truck. I want to be able to change out the bed if needed. My current bed has the drop sides, and I plan on doing a lot of dirt work/ excavation projects with this truck. Including moving many large stumps and boulders. I hope the bed I have will hold up to some abuse, but most important, is I want to be able to change it out easily if this one gets damaged.

Mud Hugger

I've seen electric over hydraulic 12v pumps used on 1 ton and was not impressed with them. I thick a mechanical pump is the route I am taking.

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen electric over hydraulic 12v pumps used on 1 ton and was not impressed with them. I thick a mechanical pump is the route I am taking.
Electric pumps will dump fine but they're slow.

I ran a pump off a t-case PTO for mine.

DeuceSiek

The sub frame is coming along well. Here are a couple pics.
image (11).jpgimage (2).jpgimage (3).jpgimage (5).jpg
Next weekend I should be able to get the hinge welded in place and the hoist secured properly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks