• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M816 New tread plate fenders.

insanejecke

OK this will be my fender build thread.
OK so when I got my m816 there's a few body parts really needing some love and care. Like my fenders they were in really sorry condition so. I decided to rebuild them one because I'm broke and two I have sources to metal like tread plate and etc..

Sorry I don't have any pic of the fender before I rebuilt it but I have after and ill post some of the driver side when I take it off.

SO first off I had to cut all the bolts from the fender to remove it. I then disassembled it and lightly sandblasted it. Manly just killing all the rust then I primed it all with self etching primer. Then I blasted all the plating after semi fabbing it up. BTW none of this tread plate is scrap its all 3/16 tick and new not sure what grade off hand. I also primed it as well.

Then long story short I welded it all up on the fender. I undercoat the bottom of the finder I did 3 coats and on top I used Dupli-Color Truck Bed Coating http://www.repaintsupply.com/prod_images_blowup/TR250-Truck-Bed-Coating.jpg

After letting it cure for one week I added the marker light. I added led bubs I used no name Chinese make bubs but there awesome and yes there 24v. The one I used for the turn light is a projected and I tested on 12v and it was bright!!!!! After that I added my headlights.

Installing the fender was fun I used stainless steel bolts with anti seize. I had trouble because were the fender slides in front of the battery box housing well I made it to big so I had to cut both the finder and the box but just a little. When I get time ill make a new pieces to go back were I cut it. I re-primed it and painted it after so I wont have to worry about rust.

And that's it for now I will update this as I move on with the other side.

please feel free to comment.

marker lights.jpgfinder4.jpgfinder3.jpgfinder1.jpgfinder2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Scarecrow1

Josh you really did yourself proud. Your hard work and dedication to detail will result in a truck anyone would be proud to drive . Your only fault is your lack of photos to let us see your progress :) You know how everyone love pictures lol. Keep up the great work........

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Neat fender. Looks good. Are the leds the ones you find at the truck stop? I wonder how those things would work out.

RAYZER

There you go! It's nice to be part of a club where other mv's are around, you must be popular around there because of the lifting capability of your Frankenstein wrecker!

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice to see you fixed your "finders", now, what about those "bubs"... ? :p Awesome job by the way!

insanejecke

we have another wrecker that's runs but i should have mine on the road by Aug. and thanks and idk what bubs u got i know the non projected ones are OK but that projected is bright i tested on a 12v and it looked like a amber headlights lol

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks