• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

California registration experience.

Blendmaster2002

There are a few reasons, most of them I'll get flak for, lol. I'm looking to get away from a CDL, reduce the rolling resistance to increase MPG, drop a little weight, reduce tire wear from scrub, and make it easier to air ride it. I view the M923A2 as a cheap, low mileage AWD medium duty truck to build a motorhome on and could care less about keeping it original. My end use will be driving 2-6 hours on the highway towing a prerunner in a box trailer, and using 4wd only in the last 1/2mile or so to keep if it gets sandy or muddy. Pismo for example is a 3hr drive on the 101 and about 1.5mi on sand. No current class C motorhome could tow 10K and have 4wd.
If you get some flak just brush it off don't take it serious, post your build in modification and hot rodding and have a good time with your truck!8)
You did mention getting away from a CDL and also later mention tow 10,000lbs, keep in mind towing anything (trailer, truck, etc.) at or over 10,000lbs requires a class A CDL in California, unless towing a 5th-wheel travel trailer exceeding 10,000 lbs. but not exceeding 15,000 lbs. GVWR, when towing is not for compensation.

Last edited:

Motiracer38

The build thread will come, or just a planning and musing thread ala JesusGatos.

You're right, I should clarify my homebuilt box trailer will be tagged 9,999lbs GVWR. It's just easier writing 10K than 9.999K

jesusgatos

There are a few reasons, most of them I'll get flak for, lol. I'm looking to get away from a CDL, reduce the rolling resistance to increase MPG, drop a little weight, reduce tire wear from scrub, and make it easier to air ride it. I view the M923A2 as a cheap, low mileage AWD medium duty truck to build a motorhome on and could care less about keeping it original. My end use will be driving 2-6 hours on the highway towing a prerunner in a box trailer, and using 4wd only in the last 1/2mile or so to keep if it gets sandy or muddy. Pismo for example is a 3hr drive on the 101 and about 1.5mi on sand. No current class C motorhome could tow 10K and have 4wd.
Makes perfect sense to me. We've got a bunch of 5-tons and we're turning a couple of them into motorhomes too. No plans to bob any of them right now, but can understand why you might wanna do that. Good luck with your project.

quickfarms

Towing a trailer with a GVW of 10,001 lbs requires a class A

Remember if it is a motor home there is a non commercial class A and B

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks