• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce purchase issue in California

SP5

Moderators, if this is in the wrong forum, feel free to move/delete.
Just in the last couple of days, a good/long term friend of mine, (who is a good mechanic), found what seems to be a nice M35A2.
The problem, is that I'am in Oregon, and the truck is in Calif., and I don't have the CDL that Calif. requires to drive the vehicle.
The truck has a clean title, but no plates or currant regestration.
It seems that my only plan might be as follows;
1, Fly down, with an Oregon VIN inspection form.
2, Pay the money, get the signed-off title.
3, Get a local LEO to sign-off on the VIN inspection, Oregon allows this.
4, Fly back up here, and take the paperwork to my DMV office, they will then give me plates and tags
5, fly back to Ca, put Oregon plates on, and head home.
Does this sound ok, I sure don't need any problems in Ca.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just have the owner download the Oregon VIN form, have it signed and mail it to you. No reason to fly for that.

DeucesWild11

Can't find any in Oregon? Sounds like allot of work/cost unless it's really really cheap. I just checked Craigslist and there are some here and there in Oregon..

If it were me, I would wait for something closer.. Even if you got there and all looks good, there is still the drive back, and that could be "interesting". You never know what can happen on a recovery drive home especially a long one.

SP5

Just have the owner download the Oregon VIN form, have it signed and mail it to you. No reason to fly for that.
Yeah, but I would have to pay for a truck before inspecting it myself, and hope the title didn't get "lost". All it would save me is the price of one two-way plane fare.

SP5

If it were me, I would wait for something closer.. Even if you got there and all looks good, there is still the drive back, and that could be "interesting". You never know what can happen on a recovery drive home especially a long one.
That is wise advise, you're right, a disaster in the middle of nowhere would ruin the whole thing real fast.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How far?

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If he is willing to travel 850 miles then it shouldn't be that hard if he is patient. Deuces aren't exactly rare.
I've driven 70 miles to get a cheeseburger out here. It's not like in GA/MS/LA and deuces are everywhere.

goodguyzy

I wouldn't worry about a CDL. I've driven a deuce in California and even talked to the CHP and was told that no CDL required. I know ill get ppl that will say you do. I would drive down pay the money, get a bill of sale and title. Assuming you have the insurance covered, drive it home. I had no plate or temp even visible and had a CHP come up and talk to me about the truck, never said a word. Yes I know some ppl are going to say im wrong........... been there and done this before.
PS if you want to be a saint, take the truck after purchase to the CA DMV and get a trip permit. I just despise the state so much I wouldn't do it.

Last edited:

dezert ratt

Bottom line, California clearly states any vehicle with 3 or more axles over I think 6,000 lbs is minimum class b license required. There's no grey area, no ways around it, it's what is required. Now as far as enforcing that law...... You can take a chance driving with a regular class c license and you may or may not get pulled over.

Last edited:

Rusty nuts

Not positive, but you could call Oregon DMV, but since there are no plates on the truck I would think that with the VIN you should be able to get an Oregon trip permit and drive it home.

M35s are not as plentiful in Oregon as in other states. Some show up on CL one in a while but I have been searching for a friend of a friend and we were not finding much.

SP5

This is a soul-searching issue. I think I need to explore shipping costs, and pencil-out the costs of travel/fuel/some tools/some spare parts/lodgeing for two>three days, etc.
It's easy to get excited about what might be a good deal, and jump-in without knowing how deep the water is. I'am also waiting to hear-back from my friend, for more in-depth info,,(like brakes).

rustystud

Not positive, but you could call Oregon DMV, but since there are no plates on the truck I would think that with the VIN you should be able to get an Oregon trip permit and drive it home.

M35s are not as plentiful in Oregon as in other states. Some show up on CL one in a while but I have been searching for a friend of a friend and we were not finding much.
Your right Rusty nuts, Deuces are rare in "these here parts" !!! You guys in the east don't know how lucky you really are ! I get so mad when I see someone say "oh just get a new transmission or transfer case, there cheap !!! Parts are cheap back there! I hear someone say " oh I'll just drive over to so and so and pick up a couple of this and that's and I'm like " REALLY !!" Just recently at the GL auction, one of those M105 trailer boxes (fiberglass I believe) came up for sell. The stupid thing went for $1500.00 !!! So when you here someone from the Northwest talking about going 800 to 1200 miles to get a rig, that's normal here. Now that concludes my daily rant.

welldigger

Have you tried idaho motorpool? They can't be any further than California. Though their prices may be rediculous. May not be. Can't hurt to check them out.

wb1895

Contact your DMV and the CA DMV and inquire about a temporary trip permit. I would also contact your insurance company and see if they will cover you for the trip. Here in NC, my insurance will cover me for 72 hours after the purchase of a new vehicle. After the 72 hours I will no longer be covered without setting up a new policy for that vehicle.

wb1895

25.010 One Trip Permit (CVC §4003)

A One Trip Permit (REG 402) is available from the department and may be used in lieu of California registration for movement of any vehicle except a crane.

• The permit must be posted on the windshield or other prominent place and must identify the vehicle being moved.
  • The permit must be obtained prior to any movement of the vehicle that would require it to be registered.
  • The permit is valid for movement of an unladen vehicle for one continuous trip from a place:
    • within California to another place within or outside of California.
    • outside of California to a place within California.

It appears that the cost for a permit is $19.00

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks