• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Greater Houston-area Events

m715mike

The topic of a new tread for Houston-area events has come-up at our last two "meet and eats." So here it goes...

Please feel free to use this thread as a source for upcoming events (meet and eats, parades, car shows, or anything else going-on) in the greater Houston area.

m715mike

April 2014 Event

The Spring car show hosted by Kingwood Town Center Park will be held on Sunday, April 27, 2014. There will be a military vehicle class at this show! My truck was one of three MVs at the 2013 Fall car show in Kingwood. It would be great to see more MVs at the show in April. Check-out the following link for details:

http://towncenterevents.com/springcarshow.html

OL AG '89

Saturday evening carshow in Atascosita, every Saturday night (In the 24 Hr Fitness parking lot on 1960, just west, couple miles, of Lake Houston Bridge).... Starts around 530 - 6 till last man standing..... bring a lawn chair and hang out..... usually 50 plus cars, trucks, all makes, all models....... good group of GEAR HEADS!!

m715mike

Taylor, I'm looking forward to joining you in Atascosita one of these Saturdays; however, it won't be tonight. My wife and I are headed to Arlington in a couple hours for the PBR event.

m715mike

The Spring car show hosted by Kingwood Town Center Park will be held on Sunday, April 27, 2014. There will be a military vehicle class at this show! My truck was one of three MVs at the 2013 Fall car show in Kingwood. It would be great to see more MVs at the show in April. Check-out the following link for details:

http://towncenterevents.com/springcarshow.html
I submitted an entry form today for the Spring Car show in Kingwood. I'll be in Spot S7.

The following Saturday (May 3), the Conroe Cruisers car club is hosting a car show on the square in downtown Conroe. Assuming I don't have a conflict with my kids' dirt bike race, I plan to attend the show in Conroe too. Here's a link to the Conroe Cruisers website for more details:

http://www.conroecruisers.com

TAMU86

Looks to be fun for the car show. Didn't see where S7 was on the booth map. Are they making general slots for military vehicles behind the stage. Do you have plaques for your truck specs and all for show style info?

m715mike

Looks to be fun for the car show. Didn't see where S7 was on the booth map. Are they making general slots for military vehicles behind the stage. Do you have plaques for your truck specs and all for show style info?
Jeff - Make sure you click the link for the "Car Show Booth Map," which is different from the "Booth Map." Spot S7 is towards the southeast corner of Town Center Park. You are free to request a slot if you preregister. I like S7 because it is easy to access.

The location is great for a car show. There are trees for shade and a number of good restaurants surrounding the park.

I do not have a plaque yet, but a number of the other exhibitors do. This is only my third car show to attend. I am planning more so I have a feeling that a plaque describing my truck is forthcoming.

Let me know if you decide to go and we can convoy to Kingwood if you are interested. I'm planning to get there early (9am ish) to park my truck before it gets crowded.

m715mike

Spring 2014 Kingwood Car Show Memories

The car show in Kingwood this past weekend turned out to be a great event. The weather was agreeable -- no rain and not too hot -- and Town Center Park is an awesome location. I managed to spot a couple of DeTomaso Panteras (one was even the right color to fuel a green addiction). The oldest car at the show was a nicely restored 1909 Ford Model T. Then there were the MVs. There was a CUCV that can pull a 5 Ton out of a muddy bog, and my M35A2 that I'm too chicken to take in the mud.:driver:

The best part for me was enjoying good company, visiting with the older gentlemen that wanted to reminisce and seeing the eyes light-up on each child when I said they could climb in the truck. It was great to hang-out and have lunch with OL AG '89. A number of gentlemen stopped by to tell me about the countless hours they spent in the back of a Deuce. I even had one retiree tap my shoulder to tell me that he spent a 30+ year career in the Army as a mechanic. He had been out for better than two decades and enjoyed a trip down memory lane while looking over my truck. Of course, I told him he was more than welcome to come-over and turn a wrench anytime he wanted!! :lol:

I really got a kick when a young girl (6 or 7) had so much fun behind the wheel that she didn't want to get down when her dad said it was time to go. I started laughing when she said, "But daddy, I want to keep it!" There's a future SS'er in the making!!

Of the stories to share, my heart was truly touched late in the afternoon. Two boys (I'm guessing 6 and 8ish) were playing in the truck with smiles that said they were having a great time. I was talking with the young gentleman that I presumed was their father. In our conversation, he explained that he was their stepdad and in the process of adopting the two boys. Their father lost his life in Afghanistan while serving our country. My heart goes out to those boys and the too many more like them. I do not have the words to express how sorry I am that they lost their father, nor to express how grateful I am for those men and women that honorably serve this nation. This is not a memory I expected to have from a car show, but one that I believe is worth sharing.

Here are a couple of pictures from last Sunday:

SS load 2.jpgSS load 1.jpgSS load 4.jpgSS load 5.jpgSS load 3.jpg

I plan to be at the car show in Conroe this Saturday (May 3) and hope to see some other MVs there.

-Michael

m715mike

Breakfast in Montgomery

It is down right hot these days. So meeting for breakfast seems like a good way to keep our trucks rolling while enjoying good company!

Would anyone like to meet me in Montgomery, Texas for breakfast next Saturday (August 2nd)? I'm thinking the Magnolia Diner at 0800 Saturday morning.

The parking lot is a challenge for a deuce, but the food is great! Good luck if you have something bigger than a deuce. :-D Of course, you are always welcome to come even if it's not in a MV.

Here's a link to the Magnolia Diner's website:
http://www.magnoliadiner.com

Let me know who's coming (and how many are in your group), and I'll give the diner a heads-up so they are ready for us.

m715mike

I have to work or else I'd driver over! That would've been fun.

Brett

I was just typing you a PM when your post hit-up. Sorry we'll miss you on Saturday!

I drove through your neck of the woods yesterday (Plantersville and Navasota) in the deuce. I was keeping an eye out for that new CUCV of yours...

I was just typing you a PM when your post hit-up. Sorry we'll miss you on Saturday!

I drove through your neck of the woods yesterday (Plantersville and Navasota) in the deuce. I was keeping an eye out for that new CUCV of yours...
I was working my side job yesterday. I still stay local dirt roads till I get it inspected and registered. Keep having a recurring horn problem. I'll drive it more often once I get the 37s on and lower the rpms! Next time your out this way give me a hollar. You could take your truck across the creek if you want to see what it can do. Not hard or won't tear anything up but a good chance to use 4lo

brett

PureMayhem

m714ke. I met you in March in College Station but didn't have my MV. I have an M923A2 now but I have moved it to Montana and I am in wk 2 of a 5 wk hitch in Angola so I won't be able to make it this time,

anjay22

Hey rusty, according to Texas law and if you attempt to keep the authenticity of you CUCV, you dont have to get it inspected. Just registered every 5 years.

Hey rusty, according to Texas law and if you attempt to keep the authenticity of you CUCV, you dont have to get it inspected. Just registered every 5 years.
Where in the world did you find that at? I'm going for an authentic lifted wrecker. Military should've have what I building. Wonder if they will buy that?

brett

m715mike

m714ke. I met you in March in College Station but didn't have my MV. I have an M923A2 now but I have moved it to Montana and I am in wk 2 of a 5 wk hitch in Angola so I won't be able to make it this time,
PureMayhen,

I remember meeting you last March. If I recall, I told you we try to get together once a month. Guess I proved myself to be a liar....:whistle:

We'll have to catch-up when you are back in town!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks