• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Correct Tires for M923A2

brasco

Does anyone know what the "correct" tires are for M923A2 trucks? I have seen at least 3 different types, sometimes on the same truck!

Which ones are standard and which ones are the best?

Picture shows different ones on the front of this truck. What are the Pros and Cons of each type??

M923A2 Tires.jpg

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
There is no "correct" brand/tread of tires for them. The size is the key. On a M939 series truck. A straight (A0) truck would have 11.00R20's on it stock. A A1 or A2 variant would have 14.00R20's.

Now as to the tread type. That one on the left is a Michelin XL. It's a directional tread. The one on the right is a XZL. Which is non-directional. The directional tread tens to have a slight advantage in the mud pulling in its path. But if you reverse it, the tread isn't able to clean itself as easily. The other common type of tire is a Goodyear tire. It's a non-directional as well.

I personally have a mix match on my SEMTT project. The fronts are XZL's. The rears XLs. When they wear out, I'm thinking I'll go with goodyears or XZLs all the way around.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The one on the right side of the truck is the oldest of the tires used on M939's (Michelin XL's
The one on the lift side of the truck is the newest Michelin XZL's and in the middle is the Goodyear.
All three were used on the M939's.

capnkirk

Id say you will be hard pressed to notice much of a difference in ride quality. Those words never crossed the minds of the engineers responsible for these trucks!

davo727

The XL tire may blow out at any time without warning.

edit: So if you run some XL tires its better to have them on the rear only and use goodyears or XZL on the front.

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
So...which is better? The Goodyear A2s or the XZLs...? Hmmm... I have read several threads but no real strong opinions (or data) that I can see.
I personally have had good service from:

XML's
XL's
XZL's

I haven't had a chance to run any goodyear tires yet. But the key IMO is to be sure to have a tire that hasn't sat flat for who knows how long. As well as a tire that's not oxidized and two decades old.

I'd suspect a XZL or A2 would fail just as fast as a XL if it sat for a year or two flat with a truck bearing down on it with oxidization. If that's what the davo was getting at. Chances are a XL has been in service longer than a XZL or A2 by nature. So the odds of sitting flat are greater.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
IIRC, that was a common occurrence with the XLs used on the M35A3s, mainly because they had a habit of sitting flat for too long and damaging the sidewall. Never heard of that with the M939A1s that the big XLs came on.
It was more of a rhetorical question. ;)

The 14.00 series tires also can suffer the same fate if subjected to the same circumstances.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter

5tonman1971

I honestly think any Michelin tire is the best tire to run. I have the xzls on all my trucks except for my wrecker which will have the Goodyear g177s which is a 11.00r20 tire.

The michelins seem to get the best wear and miles on them and have a really nice smooth ride and don't really seem to get flat spots on them if they sit for awhile opposed to the Goodyear 14.00s. You see a lot more blow outs with the good years and the xmls opposed to the michilen xzls or xls

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Add this to the mix. The government buys tires in quantity based on the lowest bidder for a certain contract. The tires are then warehoused and sent out through the distribution system. If you order a 1400x20 tire you are going to get what they have in stock regardless of what you want or need (at least this was the case when I was in an active duty unit). Since my last 15 years were in an admin unit that did not have anything larger than a HUMVEE I'm not sure if tires could be local purchased by National Guard and Reserve units. I've seen surplus trucks that had three of four different types of tires on them.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Didn't read too much of that post huh?

TIRES: 14.00 Michelin tires are rated for 55mphs. Now two of my tires were brand new. Another two were clean just older and the last is good on tread of has cracking on the sidewall. That was my spare. 300miles into my 950 miles trip I had a blowout on my front driver tire. One of the older clean tires. Up to that point I was pushing the truck to 60-65mphs and making good time. The coolant I used inside the tires was steaming out and the rubber was very hot. I was lucky I only lost one tire and that the tire started to thump before it went so I could slow down before she finally went.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks