• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cummins 6CTA8.3 "Conventional" Alternator Bracket P/N

74M35A2

Unbeknown why, the military uses a widely spaced alternator bracket referred to as a J-180 "long", which traps us into using the somewhat unreliable and outdated $400 24V Prestolite 60 amp alternator.

Since the 8.3L engine is primarily a civilian use engine, I looked at the alternator mount on some civilian eBay engines listed which otherwise have the same belt configuration, and ordered such bracket from my local Cummins dealer based upon the serial number of one such engine.

It arrived, and I was able to confirm that it does in fact fit the much more conventional and readily available J-180 "short" type alternators, which have about 4" of space between the double feet. This bracket is a direct bolt on, and about $80 as new from Cummins. Should be even much less at your local truck salvage yard if available. Distance between ears of this bracket is 3-7/8" outside-to-outside. The alternator you have should have a "slide bushing" in the rear ear which will move and take up any slack as long as it is close. Both ears on this mount are threaded holes. Do not use a single bolt through the alternator to draw it all together, unless your bracket is solid all the way through the bracket ears (this one is not).

Your lower mount is simply a tie rod type bar which should work as is. Additional pic is a civil 8.3L engine with this mount and corresponding alternator in place.

Attachments

Last edited:

74M35A2

I'm also working on the factory Cummins bracket which mounts an A/C compressor nicely on the belt also, given the prices of the A/C compressor bracket kits are going theough the roof, along with my hatred of V belts and manual tensioners. This bracket looks to be about $350, and would require a pad mount alternator (available in 24V), but all in all may still be a better way to go. The thorn here is that this bracket bottom appears to mount to an ear on the front timing cover, which our engines do not have, I think. The tensioner is then transferred to there also. This study is still TBD, but I am really trying to adapt this to work, as I want A/C this summer (ordered a Red Dot R-9777).

Attachments

74M35A2

Same belt, as it mounts the alternator in the exact same location. I use a 24V 90 amp Mitsubishi alternator. They have internal temperature compensation (higher voltage when colder).

I'm considering to offer them both as a kit, but pricing would be $400, so I would not expect many takers.

Tyl012

Same belt, as it mounts the alternator in the exact same location. I use a 24V 90 amp Mitsubishi alternator. They have internal temperature compensation (higher voltage when colder).

I'm considering to offer them both as a kit, but pricing would be $400, so I would not expect many takers.
Thanks to your post I found this bracket in a truck salvage yard. Mounted up nicely with the delco 21si alternator,(24v 70amp). However the original belt was too long, replaced it with one 2" shorter and now motorin! I think if I saw a kit that had all the necessary components, I would've ordered it. It's odd to me how many of these trucks are around, yet no one has made a alternator retrofit kit yet! Might as well be you.

Tornadogt

Thanks to your post I found this bracket in a truck salvage yard. Mounted up nicely with the delco 21si alternator,(24v 70amp). However the original belt was too long, replaced it with one 2" shorter and now motorin! I think if I saw a kit that had all the necessary components, I would've ordered it. It's odd to me how many of these trucks are around, yet no one has made a alternator retrofit kit yet! Might as well be you.
If you Lengthen the OEM Lower Bracket it will allow you to use the Factory Belt and keep the whole fleet on the same belts. Better interchange of parts if you have multiple trucks or travel a lot. It really only helps if you have multiple trucks. I also am a big fan of the 21si Alternators cheep and reliable..

74M35A2

Pic of the Cummins cast iron conventional alternator bracket installed on my 8.3L. This will properly mount any J-180 "short" type alternators onto your engine. I am benchmarking a Genuine Delco Remy 110A rated 24v alternator. The pulley, which is not included, is smaller diameter, so the stock belt length becomes not correct. Also shown in the pic is the A/C compressor bracket kit I offer with a Sanden compressor atop of it. For those that have ordered, your shipments go out this week.

image.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks