• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Working the Deuce, Vol. 12,385

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I just couldn't let Mangus580 outdo me with his nifty mulch hauling thread......... Unfortunately mine doesn't have any cool John Deere tractors or kids in baby seats.

First pictures are of me cleaning up the islands and hauling off the yard debris in preparation for the mulch and pinestraw.

Second set of pictures are my Dad and I hauling some mulch to my house and spreading it out this past summer (middle September). We bought 1 truckload of mulch and 20 bales of pinestraw. Brought it home and spread it around.

Third group of pictures are of this past weekend's adventure. My friend David (many of you met him at the '07 SS Ga. Rally) is building a new house and needs to get the yard in shape for the grand unveiling. I left work early on Thursday, got home, grabbed the Deuce and Dave and we headed to town for the first run. Then Saturday I ran 3 more loads. I think it's about 15 miles to town from Dave's house, so I ran about 90 miles. I have no idea how much mulch was in the truck on each run. The mulch place claims the skid steer bucket is heaped to at least 2/3 cubic yard for mulches, and on each run we got 10-12 scoops. So I think I had between 6.5 & 8 cubic yards. I have no idea whatsoever what it weighed, but I could definitely feel the difference.

I hope you guys enjoy the pics.......... and if these aren't enough, here are all 193 pics and a video of coming around a curve at 50 mph at finding an old man on a tractor in the middle of the road:

http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a90/clinto1/My M35A2/Working Deuce/?start=all

See captions above pictures for more info

Attachments

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Second set of pictures (more on the way)

Attachments

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Now on to this weekend's adventure, the Dave mulch running.

Do you wonder if the guy at the mulch place is wondering why there are always guys standing around taking pictures? He must think "man, these jokers love mulch".

Attachments

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
This past Saturday morning.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, looks like you need power steering. The whole dump thing has me thinking since I just bought 2 dropsides.

Manstein

Chaplain Emeritus
I'm going to get another Mountain Dew. I got tired just looking at the pics. Awesome job Clinto and what a way to let the neighbors know your buddy has friends with noisey junk. (just kidding) Did you grab the neighbors poodle and scrub the truck down when you left?
Did your unit come with the dump mod or did you add it?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Looks good man. So now your clearing the space between you and your neighbor? Want to keep an eye on "Buddy" the dog, or the soap opera acrost the street? :)

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Impressive Clinto! Blythwoodjoe installed the dump mechanics, correct? More details, please.
Like Kenny suggested, you need power steering for all that tight manuevering, the only time you really need it. The power steering on the 8x8 made turning it around a very smooth operation.

Armada

Great documentation, Clinto! I love seeing green iron earning it's keep.
Ditto ADR! Hmmmm.... how to build a 'does it all' truck.....

Bill W

2 questions
1: Can you give more info on the cool dump set up
2: how come in all those pictures the only one I see working is your dad!! LOL

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thanks for all the kind comments-

Re: Power steering-only time I wish I had it was when backing up a trailer or trying to get into a tight spot. Rest of the time, it's just another thing to leak or break or fail.

Re: clearing space between my neighbor and I-yes, I need to get it clean before I dig out the moat so the dragon doesn't set the pinestraw on fire.

Re: Out of state delivery/Mule command vehicle-well, typically I wouldn't do out of state delivery, but if I could kill 2 birds with one stone....... 8)

Re: Dad only one working in the pics-I don't know how that worked out that way, but I sure am glad it did!!! :D In all honesty, my Dad's been a great help since I bought this place. I thought he was kidding when he said 2 acres was a lot of work.

Ok, the dump conversion. I bought it that way, from BlythewoodJoe. He did the conversion. It uses a 24V pump, mounted under the passenger seat to power the hydraulic ram. It's plugged into the slave cable socket right now, so I can't jump or be jumped by other military vehicles, but I am gonna fix that this winter. I think I am going to try to relocate the pump to right inside the framerails behind the cab so that I can put another spring ride seat on the passenger side (or a set of HEMTT seats). Nice thing about an electric pump is that I can raise and lower the bed without having to start the engine-so if it rains and the bed fills up with water or the bed canvas catches water in the troughs, I can raise the bed and drain it easily. It is a lot slower going up and down than a PTO-driven pump.

The scissor assy. is mounted pretty far back on the frame-it's a mixed bag. It limits the amount of weight you can put in the bed and lift, but it allows the bed to go almost straight up. I know that chart out there says nothing more than about a 45° is neccessary for a dump bed, but having total access to the rear of the truck is awesome. I put new pinion seals in from the top this spring. :D

There is a steel subframe under the bed to keep the cargo bed from trying to bend as it is raised-keep in mind a Deuce cargo bed wasn't designed to be used as a dump, so it can use the help.

Worst part of a Deuce dumper is the loss of the bumperettes-every Deuce dump conversion I have seen is missing the rear bumperettes to make room for the hinges. Only person who has gotten around this is Gringeltaube. His method can be seen here:

http://steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=3303&start=20

I may try to mimic that in the future once I get a welder.

Pioneer rack is also removed as it would hit the bottom of the cab as the bed raises-still have not decided how to fix that. There are a few ways around that, none of which I am crazy about.

System works great, I am very happy with it. It really is a help around the house. Sure beat the heck out of having to buy 300 50 lb. bags of mulch....
:wink:

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks