• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939 No air pressure build up

Thomas_G

Have seen several posts on this subject on not building air, I have a M939 that i removed the air discharge line from compressor (brass line) and could feel air pushing out of compressor (rules out bad compressor), installed new air governor and truck will not build air at all. Possible that the air dryer filter is bad?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Grab the line coming off the drivers side frame rail into the dryer. is it vibrating or clicking? means its building air to there if it is. Then just pop the drain ports on the side to see if you have air there? If you got the click into the dryer and no air on the drains then you know. The dryer if you have not changed it before could be stopped up. Just take it apart and clean it. It's not to difficult. The rebuild kits are available from Napa and Truck Pro pretty readily.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Is it a tractor? 939 covers a BUNCH of trucks. I recovered a tractor once that had the valve for the trailer opened. Talk about a "face palm".

Thomas_G

This is a cargo truck, and i am pretty sure the air dryer has not been serviced, i did crack the air bleeds on passenger side, very little air came out, this was just released from service and is now owned by a museum. I found a rebuild kit for under 150.00 and will try that

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is air leaking out the bottom of the air dryer? If so just push up on the center of that is in side and it should stop.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Take the air line going into the dryer off see if air pressure. If so take the air line off the air dryer out see if pressure.

sandcobra164

This is a cargo truck, and i am pretty sure the air dryer has not been serviced, i did crack the air bleeds on passenger side, very little air came out, this was just released from service and is now owned by a museum. I found a rebuild kit for under 150.00 and will try that
If you are considering a rebuild kit, might as well just purchase a brand new one. Member Suprman has some that fit just fine and depending on shipping costs, might be cheaper than the $150 price of the rebuild kit. I have one on my cargo truck now and it works great.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have seen several posts on this subject on not building air, I have a M939 that i removed the air discharge line from compressor (brass line) and could feel air pushing out of compressor (rules out bad compressor), installed new air governor and truck will not build air at all. Possible that the air dryer filter is bad?
Make sure your glad hand valves are closed front and back.

You say you "could feel air pushing out of compressor"... I'm not sure this rules out the compressor, unless you actually put a gauge on it? Moving air doesn't necessarily = pressure.
Be careful if you check this without a tank or relief valve though. Maybe just crank the motor over while someone else watches the gauge...

Csm Davis

Ok has the truck ever had pressure? Have you closed all 3 glad hands? Most likely culprit is valve on bottom of air drier, won't hurt to remove it and clean it, then put it back in.

sent from my decrepit fingers

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Make sure your glad hand valves are closed front and back.

You say you "could feel air pushing out of compressor"... I'm not sure this rules out the compressor, unless you actually put a gauge on it? Moving air doesn't necessarily = pressure.
Be careful if you check this without a tank or relief valve though. Maybe just crank the motor over while someone else watches the gauge...
You can put shop air to the front glad hand to see if the system will hold air. You might even be able to hear where its leaking if not!

Thomas_G

I removed the purge valve and cleaned up the bore, it was pretty tight with very little debris, I resealed and going to put on this weekend, hopefully that may of been the problem. I was told it would air up before, the desiccate filter was like new.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks