• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Flea's M923A2

Flea

Years ago, I bought a M35A2. It was rough around the edges, but it was mine, and it was a strong runner with air assist steering. I sold it to a Vietnam veteran here local to me when I grew bored with it and wanted to do something else for a while. I regretted it since watching my truck drive off.

So, I kept my ears open and eyes on classified ads. Finally, I found a decent 5 ton! I scored a 1991 M923A2 from a gentleman in Georgia at the end of August. A good buddy and I loaded up in my CRD Jeep Liberty and drove the 350 miles to go get it. The truck fired on the first crank, and drive home without a hiccup. We maintained a solid 60-65 on the way home.

I have a leaking o-ring in one wheel and a fuel lift pump losing prime. Not to bad considering what I paid for the truck! It drives so much nicer than the deuce ever did! This thing has the POWER for sure.

Anyways, I though I would start a new build log. I am going to clean off the fading 3-color and paint it a solid 383 green. I have the pump and some ICC lights en-route this week to start off the modding.

EDIT: well, I tried to add photos, but my phone is not cooperating with the image uploaded right now. Pictures to come.

Attachments

Last edited:

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Flea that is a fine looking 939 series, I can really appreciate you comment when you compared driving this one to your Deuce and you are right, I love me Deuce for a lot of reasons but driving long distances is not one of its attributes, the 5 ton 939 series trucks are like stepping into a brand new truck compared to my Deuce!
Good luck with the new girl it looks like a very solid start!
Karl

Flea

Getting some paint on. I have a 24v to 12v converter to install when I find the time. Also, a short in the turn signal somewhere. Fried two civvy flashers so far. :evil:

Attachments

Flea

Did some electrical work. Wired in a 24-12v DC converter, good for 20 amps. Should handle the cell phone charger and a couple odds & ends no problem. Lights in the toolbox... The wires will get some split loom. I plan to add lights in the other toolbox as well. Also added some reverse lights, and been painting a little.

Attachments

Last edited:

Flea

Just a quick update with some more recent photos. I am doing a "quasi" mil-themed paint scheme. The truck is going to be modeled after one in that would be found in the Black Mesa Research Facility from the video game Half-Life. I am taking some creative liberties, but it will be Black Mesa Research Logistics, assigned to Lamda Complex, Anomalous Materials handling. Those who have played the game will instantly recognize the reference. The vehicle number is going to be 1806, after my first assigned patrol vehicle.

I've added a receiver hitch from a Dodge Ram 3500, which I had to reverse the flanges in order to get the correct frame width. The heaviest trailer I will be towing is my 16 ft. flatbed, a whopping 1800 lbs empty. But, sometimes the low-load height would be nice!

For anyone wondering, my voltage converter is working like a charm! So much so, in fact, that I have ordered a second one that is 24v to 13.8v. I am going to test out if I can use it as a sort of "digital alternator" to charge a single 12v battery. It has a maximum output of 25 amps, so it should be enough to keep a 12v battery charged and keep up with a radio and perhaps some trailer lights. Once that arrives, I have a cheapo touch screen head unit with a backup camera that will be going in an overhead console. Also have a 400 watt 24v inverter that will live with it. On down the road, I will probably look at replacing the mil-spec 60 amp generator with a civvy 22SI 100 amp alternator. The truck is likely never going to see any water, and certainly never high enough to reach the alternator.

Attachments

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I installed a 24 to 13.8 convert or in my 934. I used two 30 amp diodes on the output so I can charge the on board 12 volt battery and the battery on my trailer. I built a relay panel that passes 12 volt lights to the trailer as well. The 13.8 volt convert or is rated 30 amp. I'm not sure if it's true. I will be adding one soon to handle just the trailer. That way I can remove the isolation diodes. The diodes cause about one volt drop. I much prefer charging the 12 volt batteries at the correct 13.8 volts.
BTW, your truck looks great!

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sweet ride! Keep the pictures coming! I really enjoy seeing the different mods folks do to their vehicles.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks