• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best place to buy new winch cable?

DanMartin

Hey all,

Where can I get 200' of milspec 6x19 fiber core wire rope for my Gar Wood winch? I've looked around online and not seen too many places that will sell 200' of cable for a decent price...if at all.

Also, where can I get the inner crimp-on end for securing the start of the cable to the drum when rolling it up?

Any help appreciated...

CanadaDeuce

winch cable

Hi Dan

Well I dont know about the Mil spec stuff but I got a price on 200' of normal 1/1" 6/26 wire steel cable the other day up here in BC Canada, I know you prolly dont need to know our prices but thoughts it would be interested.

IWRC domestic manufacture( US or CDN ) ? ..... $ 2.50 per foot ........ $ 500

IWRC Import ( prolly China or India ) ? ............. $ 1.14 per foot ........ $ 228

Aperently they have had no issues with the import cable, I dont think its fibre core but heck like your gonna snap 1/2 cable especially new stuff, I know its not US made BUT for $ 228 CDN Ill throw it on my winch when I get one installed in the Deuce Im getting

OH also they say 1 alumalok pressed on the end will do the job for way beyond what the cable can take as I cnanot find the proper OEM connector as of yet.

CanadaDeuce

Look around ......... If you find a conector from the chain lead which I found thanks to a SS member pls let me know by PM .

BEASTMASTER

RE: winch cable

i went to a crane place and asked if they had any old cable around., they have to replace the cables on the cranes after so many hours of use.the guy took me out to the old stuff and said take you're pick.good looking stuff and i took two spools. about 500 feet. :driver:

MilitaryRestoration

Dan dan dan... :) I usually get our cable from local/or out of town elevator companies...let me explain... due to the strict laws and regulations on elevators now days, the cables in elevators have to be changed out every so often, then what they usually do with that 'old' cable (think about it a few people and and elevator car, in a controlled indoor environment used on straight up and down pulling, aka unharmed) is they send it to the scrap yards usually... so find one there by you and see if they have any or give them ur name and number so they can call you once they do so... just my 2cents :) hope it helps or gives you and option...

CanadaDeuce

Dan

thanks for the link to the connector, I had no idea they were available.

thanks and if you find a great deal on cable pls let me know.

CanadaDeuce

sermis

I have one roll of 220' left. $175+ ride
It was NOS but the wood reel rotted and I have it rolled up.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor

I drove my truck down to the local crane and rigging place and bought new, which they installed. Don't remember the price, but it didn't seem unreasonable to me (especially given that just prior to this I'd watched the used wire rope that was on the 20000 lb front winch snap under load and go whipping through the air).

Regards,
David

DanMartin

I was seriously considering it....that stuff is costly though, and you need to spend the money on the cable with the UV protection added (turns it brown), and even then it's recommended to keep it covered up. There are some other concerns about sharp edges and high angle winching to watch out for, but for the most part the synthetic stuff is stronger and more forgiving than wire rope....but since it's new tech, you pay for it.

I'll stick with steel for now...maybe in the future I'll go with the plastic fantastic. :)

area52

Re: RE: winch cable

DanMartin said:
Thanks CanadaDeuce. I'll be trying to source this inside the U.S. for sure...but the prices will probably be in-line with what you've shown above.

FYI: Here is the OEM cable end: http://www.esmet.com/clevisindustrial.html Part number PD-150-N (or X). Apparently they are expensive, but this is exactly what is on the old winch cable end on mine now.
Just an update on this thread,

I called the esmet company in the link above. they don't sell direct so they gave me a number for a distributor:
http://www.allwayinc.com/catalog.html - these people

I called them and got a price of $72 and change plus shipping for one piece ( PD-150-x) The PD-150-n is no longer made.

Just thought I would let you know.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bought mine local and must be import was $1.25 and it was galvanized. I went with 200' but for the price should have gone to 240-250'.
There was no end clamp on mine just the tunnel in drum and allen head screw to secure it to said.
Was looking at TM's and FM 9-43-2 implies 266' will spool on 5 ton.

jasonjc

Not all 1/2" wire rope is the same. There is a lot of diferent types of steel used. Most if not all have a working load limt of less than 10,000lbs. The breaking strength verys by the type of the steel and type of the rope. Getting the cheppest thing you can may get some one hurt or killed. Make shure you know what you are getting. When useing a winch keep in mined that the guy before you chould have put some of the cheppest stuff on or got some use stuff that was over loaded, and ready to fail at any time. There is a good reason those crane companys replace the cable so offten. There have been a lot of pepole kill by stuff the looks the same or look good enugh. Chep wire rope + grade 8 bolt=RIP

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most of the used crane or elevator cable will be fine for winch use. I would check it out good for flat spots and broken strands but other than that it should be good to go. I'm in the rigging business and can tell you there's a big difference in new cable as far as breaking strength goes as to how it's made and what it's made of. I don't have the chart in front of me but different cable of the same size will vary several thousand pounds in strength. Any overhead lifting cable (as in crane or elevator cable) will be of the highest grade though.

You can useually get good used crane or elevator cable cheap. The scrap yards don't want it unless it's cut up. Imagine a big pile of cable that you're trying to move with a magnet into a rail car and you'll understand why. You'll have cable all over the scrap yard with very little in the rail car :shock: .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks