• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Key Stuck in Ignition

Bobert

This is not a cucv specific problem, but my Key is stuck all of the sudden in the on position.

I had to unplug the pink wire on th injector pump to get it to turn off.

It was a little sticky for two previous starts, but not It will not budge. It will only go from on to start positions. It is solid.

I don't think it is the cylinder, but I could be wrong. Do I just need to take the column apartor what?

Anybody have this problem before?

Crash_AF

There is a rod that runs down the top of the column to the actual electric switch on the top of the column under the dash. That rod is probably bound up somehow and preventing the lock cylinder from moving.

I'd check there first.

Later,
Joe

OddballJ

any chance this solved the problem? Have the same problem and not crazy about leaving a key in the ignition. How does one access that rod?

boomer431

If I had to guess I would say it is the lock cylinder. We run into this frequently on civi cars and trucks. You can check the rod to the ignition swich by dropping down the column , but you will have to remove the ignition swictch and dimmer switch. To access the cylinder you will have to remove the steering wheel , lock plate and pull back the turn signal switch. To get the lock plate off requires a special tool ( can be borrowed @ some parts houses)

highsiera

agree with Boomer, bad lock cylinder. New one, with a key that can't be bot on ebay is 15-25 bucks at any parts house. pull the steering wheel and change it. 1 hour job. In the interim, bolted to the column, just beneath the dash lip is the switch the rod hooks into, 2 5/16 bolts to remove it.

OddballJ

I'm having a hard time finding the 2 bolts that the rod goes into, but I'm going to stop by advance soon and see if they have a wheel puller.

fstfrdy

there is a plastic gear on the back side of the tumbler set that if it looses any teeth they can get stuck in the remaing teeth and jam the switch, keeping you from turning the key. this is the most likely. if that is what happened its a dealer or junk yard part only. only 13 bucks at dealer

aspann

Just got back from the shop. My key was stuck in the on position. It was the lock cylinder. I bought the cylinder for about $10 and they put it in for $35. One place wanted $90.

boomer431

Odball , eaisiest way to access the 2 bolts that hold the swtch down is to drop the column down. After that remove the dimmer switch and you are there. If you drop the column don't forget to remove the cable going to the PRNDL first.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks