• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce as daily driver?

biodeucel

Would you use a deuce as a daily driver?
(Assume you will be driving in the country, no city driving only occasional driving in congested traffic).
Could you do it in a 6x6 or would you want it bobbed?
What are some ways to get a 6x6 deuce up to interstate speed? (65+)

I have searched through the archives but will ask anyway,
anyone have some good pics of a deuce with supe singles or large duals?

Thanks!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Never... and I say that as a guy who loves his deuce and has taken it on plenty of long trips (725 miles in one day last year).

Even bobbed and with a muffled rear exhaust, you will never be able to go through a drive through window with it. It will always be difficult to park, you'll never be able to go anywhere fast.... unless you have tall tires and Tom's overdrive and at that point you will be outdriving your brakes....... plus lack of a/c, music, etc.

Not to mention the short lifespan of the multi, which you could improve with a pre-luber and better filters..........

How about having to sit for 5 minutes and let the turbo spool down before you can shut it off? After a day of running errands, you will be ready to shut it off at once and let the turbo burn.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
If you can live without a/c, an M1009 or an M38A1 with add-on overdrive and a hardtop.

Barrman

I used my M715 as a DD for almost 3 years. Hot in the summer, cold in the winter. I also stopped enjoying the drive. Now that I just drive it or the M35 to stuff like practice, Boy Scouts, trips to the store, etc... Basically, anything besides work every now and then, I enjoy driving them a lot more.

But a multifuel is a different story. If you get your cost down below $.10/mile by mixing your fuel, you can endure a lot of heat or cold and still be very happy. However, the more it is driven, the more maintenance will need to be done to it. Do what makes you happy and go on.

Drive It!

I used my M35 non turbo as a daily drive for 3 months during college break a few years back. I live in a small town (20,000) but I'd still go through about 20-30 gallons a week so I was putting on a few miles. Other than having to install a new generator I had no issues. If I could afford the fuel I would drive mine to work and back everyday which is 45 miles round trip. I typically don't go through drive through fast food places so thats a non issue and I don't have troubles finding parking for an M35 in any parking lot I've been to. The people beside your parking job might not appreciate your truck but what are they going to do- give you a door ding?

Andy

alphadeltaromeo

RE: Drive It!

Got the money and wanna spend it...do it. Would it be challenging, yes...so what if you really wanna though. Perhaps after years of driving it as a daily...we could see some actual performance numbers. I'd def change the tires for road tires though. Additionally...how long is the commute?

dc3coyote

RE: Drive It!

one word...Pinzgauer, I used mine as a daily driver for several months. Its a 712 meaning 6x6, the only thing I added is a radio, I removed the ambulance box, I put tool boxes in the sides, one has a gel cell with a solargizer to recharge it, thats the only thing that runs from the 12 volt system. So far no prob

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Next to the M880, M561 and M715, the M151 is probably the next least popular military vehicle (maybe, we should start a poll on that!). I don't know why. They are GREAT trucks. In my opinion, an M151A2, driven responsibly, could be an every day driver. It will easily do 55 mph all day long. Plus, the beauty of the M151A2 is that it is still a tactical vehicle, unlike an M880 or CUCV. I am in the final stages of negotiations with a reputable dealer to buy his frame-up resto M151A2...I'll keep everyone posted. It will soon join my stable. I've had an M151A2 before and I regret selling it. Now, I am correcting that by buying an even better MUTT.

biodeucel

How often must maintainence be performed, what needs to be done, what are some common "breakdown" scenarios, and what tools do you need if you own a deuce?

jimm1009

I agree..it is your truck and if you can afford it, drive it.
I have an M35A2C too but I have been driving my M1009 CUCV since Nov 1995 EVERY day and I have even driven it to see my parents a few times that are 950 miles away from me.
No A/C which really su$k$ but I have survived without it for 13 years now. No my wife won't ride in it unless we are going to get more flowers, compost, potting soil, etc, or we are dropping her car off for service!

Jim

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I drove my deuce tractor for a few months. Wasn't bad but did take alot of the fun out of it.

chuck500cc

I drove mine as a daily driver through a VERY affluent area every day and got the "thumb's up" from the folks in the high class automobiles every day. "DON'T MAKE SCRATCH MY ANVILE A$$HAT" . Shinny car, Shinny car, Shinny car M35. Make a hole, comming through!

Chuck XD Fan

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks