• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

10 Ton M123 and M15A1 Trailer

DanMartin

P.S. Like my tank?
HAHA! Not exactly what I had in mind...

I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that I am watching this thread closely for updates. These trucks have a high "cool" factor and it's just so great to see them being restored with such care and attention to detail.

I wish I had the resources you do....what great fun!

I can't wait to see it done....

jeli

It must have been still in service in the early 90's. The primer brown bracket was a fix to get the winch cable higher to use with the M870 trailers. Someone ended up blowing the winch on mine trying to lift a full trailer.

5.0fox

Man I love those trucks.......do you have a duece that you could park next to to it to take some pictures with? I saw the pictures when you had the M125 next to the 5 ton, but I would love to see some comparison shots of a duece next to that monster:-D

5.0fox

:shock::shock:

That is awesome.......I hope I get a chance to see one of these in person one day. I cannot get over how small it makes a deuce look. I stop by Memphis equipment every once in a while on the way to my brothers and I believe they have two of the back-ends off of ten ton tractors( the fifth wheel setup but it is cut off just in front of the forward axle). They are huge.......but I would love to see the whole truck.

Dirt71

I had a DOT man stop in today to answer some questions about how wide the trailer is. I also asked about the antique tag that I was told you were exempt from all regulations. He said I was exempt on everything accept the width being 12' 10" wide. He gave me the phone number to the permit office in Tallahasee, saying that they might issue a blanket permit for the year, but not likely. But it not being a comercial vehicle, he said its worth the phone call. He also told me that in his 10 years of being a DOT officer he or anybody he knows has ever stopped a military vehicle. He said paint it up nice with all the markings and drive it. I wish the clutch wasn't still stuck I might have just shown up at the rally!!! Maybe next year!!

Attachments

OSO

That DOT guy, give him a ride !!!Looks like he likes your collection. Nice to know that there are some state workers . That have some involement in some kind of hobby. Great Pics:not worthy:

Gordon_M

Trailer technical question

Many of those trailers were made as M15A1s, but a lot of the original M15 trailers were converted to A1 spec by having side reinforcements added.

Has your trailer got a date on it? Was it made as an M15A1, or is is a WW2 M15 with the A1 conversion?

There are quite a few M26, M26A1, and M26A2 Dragon Wagons left (of the 1342 made) but I've never seen anyone with an original M15 trailer - they are all M15A1.

If I can post an image or a link, here is Michael's M26 with M15A1 trailer at Beltring some time back;

Last edited:

Dirt71

Decided to make time to fix the clutch in this one today. I've been putting it off because its going to be a big job. It took almost all day just to get it ready to come out. Also, while I got the engine out I will be installing a new exhaust brake. This truck did not have one in it yet. the exhaust brake makes it much easier to shift the non syc. trans.

Attachments

Dirt71

Well I got the engine out today and as I thought the clutch was rusted up pretty bad. These trucks have a dual disc clutch set up in them. It is so rusted that up to this point all I could get apart was the pressure plate and the first disc. Tomorrow I'm going to apply the hot wrench to it to get the center plate and other disc apart.

P.S. This truck will be for sale when I'm done.

Attachments

Dirt71

Did I say stuck and rusted?? Man I mean stuck and rusted!!! I guess because this truck sat for 9 years before I came along this is what can happen.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks