• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Speedometer Adapter Leaking Gear Oil

onegmjack

Hello I have looked at site,mite have missed anwser.I bought a 1971 it think
M35A2 AM General SF 97 came back 1985.I drove from Red Stone,home about 300 miles.I keep seeing a leak from tranfer ,Timken 136-27 air shift,cleaned up and noticed gear oil leaking out of speedometer adapter.From screw driver
slot plug in end,where do I get the seal that seals the drive in transfer,that adapter screws to?Or do I need to look for other reason that mite cause leak
Do these have vent,that could be pluged up,causing presser to built up.Any help would be greatfull.Thanks Dwight

Westech

CPL
well the thing to do is get a new one.... I got a used one for 10 bucks. Really thats the first time I have hears of one on the deuce. I know the trucks with 11.00 tires had them on there but not the dual 9.00 tires. If you have the 9.00 x 20 tires just take if off.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
emmm..... ALL deuces have (and need) what is called the "speedo adapter".... :)

Actually it's just a little worm and gear reduction unit: trucks with 9.00-20s take the 0.187 ratio unit (input shaft connected to TC sleeve turns 5.35 times for one full turn of the speedo cable), 11.00-20s are 0.200 (5.0:1 ratio).

See this link to better understand why they leak...

I still don't know where you would find that exact replacement seal... maybe someone has found a source????

G.

Last edited:

onegmjack

Hello I want to thank you all for your help.I was a auto mechanic for 28 years,till a Ford T-bird I was working on,and I put wrench on drive shaft flange bolt and shoved it off the jack stand on the myself.
If anyone else have leak at speed o,remove from transfer case and take to transmission shop.I did and am leak free.Thanks again

onegmjack

Hello the OEM was a thicker than anything they had.But they had a metal one,coated with rubber,nyaprem or what they are made off.was a little haed to drive in but seems to do the job.I will get part number and picture and post Thanks Dwight

onegmjack

Sorry for the delay,have alot going on.Here is a picture of metal replacement I installed
I would like to install what was deigned for the speedo adapter,but if not avaiable then you have to improvise,stop the leak,smell, smoke and gear oil on the driveway.Just a small problem,but when on the road with 3 or 4 hundred mile togo,gets on your mind wandering
if you are about to lose a major componant.I am not a speller.Dwight

Attachments

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very good! Looks like at least you found one that has the correct diameters for seat and shaft. Same thickness is not critical here.
Could you please post seal part# and eventually a supplier, for others to know?

Tks

G.

Last edited:

JasonS

I got the seal from my local NAPA. Part number 8X14X4TC. Dimensions are in mm. Nothing else even close in the parts book. However, it still leaks. The shaft can move back and forth far enough for the seal to ride on the squared off part. Is this normal?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got the seal from my local NAPA. Part number 8X14X4TC. Dimensions are in mm. Nothing else even close in the parts book. However, it still leaks. The shaft can move back and forth far enough for the seal to ride on the squared off part. Is this normal?
NO! Something must be severely worn out for that to happen. No matter if your seal is only 4mm in height and all the way in; even if the lip is flush at the rear (inner side) it "normally" won't be able to reach the notches.

I would suggest to pull that sleeve & shaft out and check for wear.
I made a little drawing so you can see actual dimensions and compare with yours.
Hope it helps.

G.

Attachments

Last edited:

onegmjack

Well the place I got the seal from, has changed locations.They are still looking for part number.Sorry for the delay but I will list number when they let me know.Dwight

Ford Mechanic

Hey guys I've got the same issue with the speedo cable leaking oil. Mine has a cut on the outside of the sleeve around the airpack/MC area and it's leaking GL-5, also leaking at the adapter.
The napa # that JasonS gave the closest thing that they found was a 8X14X4TCM and them crossed it to a NOS 3036# which is this NAPA AUTO PARTS

Do you think it will work?
And some one said the cable was packed with grease? Do you dissasemble it to pack it or just grease the zerk good at the adapter?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
.......The napa # that JasonS gave the closest thing that they found was a 8X14X4TCM and them crossed it to a NOS 3036# which is this NAPA AUTO PARTS Do you think it will work?......
YES, a 8x14x4 TCM will work. Also a TTO A409 (=same size)

Not, what appears in the picture of that link! (that is a seal for linear or axial movement...)

G.

Ford Mechanic

My part dept. just crossed the 8x14x4 number by itself and it came up in National Seals. What brand was the TTO A409? I'll try to find that one and I'll order the one that they can have the soonest and report back.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks