• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Speedometer Adapter Leaking Gear Oil

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any updates on this thread? I think the speedometer adapter on my truck is leaking and I would like to get a seal for it. I was wondering if this seal worked or not. It is always nice hearing a success story! :grin:

Ford Mechanic

I've not got around to it yet.....One of those things, my labor's cheap and plentiful, parts cost $ and I need quite a few. Right now I'm finishing up rear axle seals and rear brake check, remote vent lines for the rear.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I need remote vent lines for my truck too. I put in another take-out speedometer adapter and i think it fixed the problem. I found one where th seal felt good like it fit tight around the shaft.... better than the one i took out of mine. It still continued to drip some, but I think it is just the little bit left in the speedometer cable and speedometer adapter gears. I am keeping my eye on it though.

onegmjack

Hello the seal I used is not leaking.Have tried to get maker and part number from trans shop, but they say that the seals have been there a long time and don't know who they got them from.Should be able to knock old seal out and take it to NAPA or other parts store and find something.

bonedoc

Hello guys, not trying to just resurrect an old thread. My speedocable is leaking, haven't replaced it yet but I bought a new cable. Anyone know if they come with the seal you guys were talking about?

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ordered the one from NAPA and it seems to be ok so far. Its not the exact seal for the job, but it works. I don't think anybody could get these trucks not to leak a drop if they tried. We only can get them to drip less. Haha!

Flyingvan911

I'm sure that my speedo adapter is leaking. Slings oil all over the bottom of the truck. I thought it was the front output shaft seal at first but I noticed lots of oil on the bottom of the speedo adapter like it has been dripping. I need a seal but also an adapter for 11.00x20 tires. I'm upgrading to radials.

SteveKuhn

I'd like to know the Chevy or NAPA part number. I had a thread on this and Gringeltaub posted dimensions. I ended up special ordering a dozen odd-balls to get the size.

Steve

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
NO! Something must be severely worn out for that to happen. No matter if your seal is only 4mm in height and and all the way in, even if the lip is flush at the rear (inner side) it "normally" won't be able to reach the notches.

I would suggest to pull that sleeve & shaft out and check for wear.
I made a little drawing so you can see actual dimensions and compare with yours.
Hope it helps.

G.
I thought I traced my oil leak back to the speedometer cable adapter on the transfer case. At first I thought the speedometer cable end had just worked itself loose and all I needed to do was re-tighten it, but from what I've read here and the other thread linked earlier by gringeltaube, oil coming out the adaptor is no good, as it should be grease instead of oil.

Well, I'm scratching my head as my parts do not look the same. When I pulled out the little input shaft (that the speedometer cable inserts into) I thought there was a mangled o-ring, but it was just thick grease.

I'm not sure what I need to replace here or if something is missing. The shaft shows some wear in the center of the gear teeth and is stamped with the number "417523".

I replaced the speedometer cable 2-3 years ago (about 300 miles ago) (previous one was broken off in the in-dash speedometer gauge).

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402351538.057894.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1402351549.242387.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1402351559.121813.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1402351566.796563.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1402351573.501305.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1402351579.319026.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1402351584.451124.jpg

Last edited:

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought I traced my oil leak back to the speedometer cable adapter on the transfer case. At first I thought the speedometer cable end had just worked itself loose and all I needed to do was re-tighten it, but from what I've read here and the other thread linked earlier by gringeltaube, oil coming out the adaptor is no good, as it should be grease instead of oil.

Well, I'm scratching my head as my parts do not look the same. When I pulled out the little input shaft (that the speedometer cable inserts into) I thought there was a mangled o-ring, but it was just thick grease.

I'm not sure what I need to replace here or if something is missing. The shaft shows some wear in the center of the gear teeth and is stamped with the number "417523".

I replaced the speedometer cable 2-3 years ago (about 300 miles ago) (previous one was broken off in the in-dash speedometer gauge).

View attachment 497814View attachment 497815View attachment 497816View attachment 497817View attachment 497818View attachment 497819View attachment 497820
So it took me a day thinking about this to realize what my confusion was. It didn't seem right that the oil seal would be so close to the speedometer cable, because that wouldn't keep the oil out of the rest of speedometer adapter... I realized that these figures referred to the end of the adapter attached to the transfer case. Durrrr...

Yeah, now that looks more like it.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402449511.332714.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1402449517.958085.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1402449524.906384.jpg

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad you found by yourself where the leak originates. Now, to replace that small seal... and don't forget to post results.

G.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad you found by yourself where the leak originates. Now, to replace that small seal... and don't forget to post results.

G.
Thanks for all your help too. I will post results as soon... If I can ever get a seal to replace it. Going to try the NAPA and TTO part numbers listed earlier.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello guys, not trying to just resurrect an old thread. My speedocable is leaking, haven't replaced it yet but I bought a new cable. Anyone know if they come with the seal you guys were talking about?
No, a new speedometer CABLE will not come with the seal and will not fix the leak. The speedometer cable attaches to a worm gear "speedometer adapter" and the oil seal is located on the end of the adapter that attaches to the transfer case.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I tried my local NAPA store and they did not find anything with the part numbers listed in this thread (8X14X4TCM, TTO A409), and could not find any oil seals that small in their catalog but did recommend to me that I try Motion Industries.

Using their website I came up with the following, which looks correct, or at least will work?

Search filter criteria:
https://www.motionindustries.com/motion3/jsp/mii/productCatalogSearch.jsp?category=Seals%2C%20Gaskets%20%26%20Accessories%3ESeals%2C%20Rings%2C%20Washers%20%26%20Seal%20Accessories%3EOil%20Seals&f_0=Shaft_or_Inside_Diameter_Range_t%3A000003125|5%2F16%22&f_1=Shaft_or_Inside_Diameter_Range_t%3A000003150|8%20mm&f_2=Bore_or_Outside_Diameter_t%3A000005511|14%20mm&numItems=10

Resulted in finding the following 2:
International Seal
International Seal 8 X 14 X 4 Metric Oil Seal
Motion Item No.: 00602729
Manufacturer Part Number: 8 X 14 X 4
Manufacturer Description: 8 X 14 X 4 MM A-NBR SEAL
https://www.motionindustries.com/mo...,+Rings,+Washers+&+Seal+Accessories>Oil+Seals

SKF Sealing Solutions
SKF Sealing Solutions 3036 8x14x4 R Oil Seal - Metric SKF# 3036
Motion Item No.: 00602728
Manufacturer Part Number: 3036
Manufacturer Description: 8X14X4 HMS1 R NITRILE SEAL
https://www.motionindustries.com/mo...,+Rings,+Washers+&+Seal+Accessories>Oil+Seals

-----
Judging by other information posted in this thread, to me, the latter one (SKF) seems the most correct (that "3036" number popped up again) and on the website its "Typical Application" isn't just "General" but "Engines, Axles, Transmissions, Pumps, Motors, Speed Reducers, Many Other Industrial Uses".

I hope to be visiting a Motion Industries location today. If I am able to, I will report back their recommendation(s).

Last edited:

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I spoke to a Customer Service Rep. at a local Motion Industries location, e-mailed him the pictures and measurements from gringeltaube, and the fellow recommended the following:

1: The latter one from my search above (8x14x4 HMS1 R Nitrile Seal)
Item Number: 00602728
$3.25 each
https://www.motionindustries.com/motion3/jsp/mii/productCatalogSearch.jsp?q=00602728
UPDATE NOTE:
After placing my order the awesome customer service rep changed this item to the following (exact interchange) to get them both from the same place to save me on shipping (also noticed it was a bit cheaper too)
"8X14X4SC"
Item Number: 05583748
$0.74 each
https://www.motionindustries.com/motion3/jsp/mii/productCatalogSearch.jsp?q=05583748

2: A possibly slightly better match that I did not find in my online search (8x14x5VTC Double Lip Viton Oil Seal - he said this was metal with a rubber center - I'm thinking similar to one onegmjack got from his transmission shop, see here on page 1)
Item Number: 04545182
$4.29 each
https://www.motionindustries.com/motion3/jsp/mii/productCatalogSearch.jsp?q=04545182

As you can see, he was able to quote me better prices than the above online links. So I ordered two of each and they're coming from around Michigan (or did he say Missouri?) and Tennessee.

I'll report back the fit hopefully by next weekend.

Last edited:

texas30cal

I spent many years in a maintenance machine shop and ordered maintenance parts and supplies for the whole plant and I can say from personal experience that the Viton seal is MUCH better and will last a LOT longer when dealing with oil. It is more pliable and stays that way for a long time, I am watching this bc I should be picking my two deuces up in the next few weeks. Good information here this is great.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I spent many years in a maintenance machine shop and ordered maintenance parts and supplies for the whole plant and I can say from personal experience that the Viton seal is MUCH better and will last a LOT longer when dealing with oil. It is more pliable and stays that way for a long time, I am watching this bc I should be picking my two deuces up in the next few weeks. Good information here this is great.
Last night I received my order of 2 pairs of oil seals (as discussed above). Now that I am able to inspect them in person, I am greatly inclined to agree with texas30cal that the Viton seal is superior - and it has a double lip as indicated when ordering it. But now that I can compare what a "double lip" looks like or means in comparison to a single lip (there are two lips on the center where the shaft will spin, one at either end of the seal), I am in much favor of the double lip.

In the pictures below the Viton seal is the brown one on the right (5 mm thick) with the other seal ( black, 4mm thick) on the left, and the original take out seal bottom center. Both new seals have an interior spring to improve the inner lip seal.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403194600.838244.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1403194616.364209.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1403194624.005430.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1403194631.205104.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1403194637.977691.jpg

I should be able to reinstall the speedometer adapter tonight and drive the deuce and report on leakage or lack thereof, though it'll probably only be a short drive. Judging on the nice and tight seal during my dry fitting, I will be surprised (and greatly perplexed) with anything less than 100% success.

I assume I don't need any "special" type of grease for the speedometer cable/transfer adapter? I planned on using just the same type of grease already in my gun that I used when greasing my civilian truck... Yeah, I don't remember exactly what's in the gun, it's red, and it's grease - :lol:.

Last edited:

bonedoc

So which part number was the Viton? I just cleaned my underside good so I need to see if this is my culprit. If so I'll order it. Do I need to drain the transfer case at when removing this? Or does it just come right out with no issue?

Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks