• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Want to buy an M35A2 at GL

69firebirdconv

I'm new here and new to the military vehicle thing.

Up to this point, I'm an avid gun owner and always been into all things military. What got my interest was a member on another site I frequent, he was discussing how he just bought one at GL and I checked out the site. Decided I have to have one!!

So what do I need to know about buying from GL? What should I be prepared to fix, refurb, etc. once I get it? What does it cost to title one? Etc.

I already have a diesel mechanic friend that fixes tractor trailers for a living as a mobile mechanic, if that helps.

papercu

Welcome! Might be better to search the posts, then if you find something not covered or don't understand, then ask. Lots of good trucks on this site for sale. Good luck. Wayne

roscoe

Everything you need to know is here. Its a process (GL) with a lot of hoops to hop through. Take your time and learn about the trucks so you know what to look for and what you want. Welcome and good luck.

poppop

Welcome aboard!!! As the others have said most of what you need to know has already been discussed. You can find it with the search function if you ask the right questions. Basicly inspect the trucks if you can. You need to read up here to find out things you need to check. Some trucks can be driven home with a complete check of fluids and most important brakes. Some have parts missing and some have bad engines or transmissions. These will have to be hauled or towed. Some bases will not allow you to drive them off base. If you can't inspect don't bid high. If you win one then you have to apply for an end use certificate from the Government before you can pick up the truck. I believe GL nows charges your card before the euc clears so you may pay for the truck before you know if they will let you actually pick it up. Then you have the hassle of trying to get your money back. Do your research and then have a go. Good luck.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard, I don't have a lot to add to the discussion other than read, read and read some more. I'm picking up my first one from GL on Monday the 22nd. I can honestly say I knew nothing about the deuce before I started reading on this site. They are a great bunch of guys on here, very helpful and very knowledgeable! Once you get the addiction in your veins you'll never be the same. Good luck.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi and welcome.

I'll add that if you buy via auction, you will not enjoy immediate satisfaction of the purchase! Navigating through the auction process is a lot of waiting punctuated by submitting documents and problem solving.

The entire process may take from 1 to 3 months to get your truck, after winning the auction. However, your reward is (hopefully) a truck bought at the greatest value.

I recommend that in addition to studying the above listed links regarding the trucks and this forums collective experiences, delve into the Government Liquidators website and read all the fine print, instructions, documents and process descriptions till you are fluent in their language! They also have customer service operators on chat and the good ole telephone to answer your questions.

Best wishes and happy bidding,

Rick

10mm fan

Welcome
I am new here also. It sounds like you read the same post that I read on another web forum.
Now I must have one also. I decided I will buy from a private party rather than deal with GL.
good luck

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site.
As has been said before in other threads you may be better off getting your first truck from one of the many members that sell trucks. You have a better chance of getting a truck that has been looked over and made road ready.

Of course that is guarantee that you will buy a good one.

I got my first one by mistake playing on the GL site and while mine went okay and I drove it home the brakes failed shortly after getting it home. There were several trucks sitting there that had no brakes.

So do your homework PRIOR to bidding and listen to the guys here that know a lot more than me.

(Pretty much everyone...)

;-)

sw

Mt Doom Field Owner

I, too, and a brand new member of this forum and a new deuce owner picking my first one up this afternoon in Huntsville, AL. I started doing a little research on the GL auction path and very quickly found it would be way over my head. I don't have the mechanical knowledge to inspect the truck or know what to look for and another thing I don't have is the free time to drive to the military base and look the vehicle over prior to making the bid. As luck would have it, just as I was about to buy a pretty well worn deuce from a used carlot near my hometown (and for a pretty steep price) - I got involved with this forum and overnight met a member with 3 deuces for sale. Because the member needed to sell them and sell them quick I almost missed out on the whole deal. The truck I wanted had the winch and I thought it might be handy for my needs but I also found that stowing the winch and using the winch was a pretty difficult job.... anyway that truck got sold while I was twiddling my thumbs so I jumped on the other one. I picked it up today and boy am I happy. It was great to have known that the truck I bought had already been driven and checked by a man who buys these things regularly and knows what to look for. My new baby has only about 400 hours on it , very little rust anywhere, most every light and switch and gage works perfectly and what all needs fixing shouldn't cost me more than a couple hundred dollars if that much. Cover is like new, tire on front still have the "hair" ... rubber stubble from the mold sticking out. It cranked right up and ran like a top. Now I am learning to drive a BIG old truck with no power steering and a giant turning radius that makes so much noise my dogs run for cover when I crank it. But if you could see the smile on my face! Good luck in your search... hope you find a winner like I did but bear in mind, I believe Lady Luck may have for once been sitting in my lap!:-D

69firebirdconv

Went and checked one out and was OK with it. They all seemed to be similar in condition.

The one in particular has a winch, bows, starts/runs, hardtop (not sure I like it, and it was all dented), troop seats, etc.

Problem was it was hotter than hell, and I was not too fond of driving the bastard home in the heat for 3-4 yrs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks