• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Suggested 6.2 oil, fuel additives, and cleaners products and frequency

Grantshire

I know most of this information can be found in different threads but I have not found it as a combine document. This information would a Godsend to those of us that are not diesel experts and probably darn handy for others so here we go...

Today's diesel fuel is different from what our engines were designed to use and that can result in lack of proper lubrication and several issues. There are some great synthetic engine oils available that reduce friction and help engines last longer. Also, there are quite a few products promoted as fuel injector cleaners and lubricants. How about posting up your favorite products, frequency of use, and perceived benefit using the following format:

Engine Oil:

Product (include weight) Oil Change frequency Any additional additives

Fuel System:

Diesel fuel additive frequency reason for use

Fuel system cleaner/lubricant frequency reason for use

Transmission/Transfer Case:

Fluid used change frequency Any additional additives

Differential lube:

Fluid used change frequency Any additional additives

Any other products used at why:

My plan is to develop a chart with this information and put in the glove compartment of my daughter's M1009 so she knows when and what needs to done to the vehicle to keep it in top operating condition (and to prevent some idiot from putting the wrong stuff in it).

91W350

In my 6.2 L powered M998 I use Rotella T 15W-40 and change it and filter every 3000 mi.
I use Total Power diesel fuel additive in the winter to boost cetane rating and to prevent
icing/gelling of fuel. In summer I use Lucas diesel fuel additive for additional lubrication.
Note: both additives clean the injectors and combustion chamber as well as provide lubrication to the I.P. Follow mfrs. instructions for amount to add.
I am in the same boat, only I use Power Service fuel treatment when it gets close to zero out. I never had one gel up on Power Service. I run Rotella in all my diesels, the Cummins I changed at 5000 miles. My 2003 held four gallons of oil and my 91 and 93 each had three gallon capacity. We should be able to run 5000 miles on the 6.2 as well, I always thought of it as cheap insurance. I think my first M1008 died at around 92,000 miles, not to engine failure, to an accident. It was still making the 3,000 miles with no oil being added.

12vctd

Engine Oil: Rotella 15w40, 5k miles on my cummins 3k miles on my 6.2, 4k miles on my powerstroke, and 5k on the old 6.9 and 7.3 idi's that we use around here

Product (include weight) Oil Change frequency Any additional additives

Fuel System: Before My bio diesel setup I just used power service in all my diesels besides my cummins. In those i used a power service and marvels mystery oil mix. I still use powerservice in the winter months but not in every tank like i used to due to better lube provided by the b100. With todays ULSD I would never fill up at the pump with out adding atleast some marvels mystery oil or something to help lube the system.

4bogginchevys

is there a reason no one uses delo 400? i've always heard it's good oil and thats what I plan to refill with on first oil change for my 1008.

other wise i use napa tranny fluid/coolant(not 50/50 pre-mix, what a rip off)

valvoline diff fluid 80-90

oh ya, always napa GOLD oil filter

I havent yet had a chance to change fluids in the 1008, but this is what I use on my other 3 trucks....2 of which are full size chevy's

2deuce

I use delo 400. I buy it in the gallon jugs. I've started using 2cycle premix added to the fuel. I used to use Power Service, but changed due to cost and I figure that for the same ammount of product I get more lubrication with the premix oil, I don't need the anti-gelling agent here in Oregon.
I'm curious if the military added anything to their fuel that aided in lubrication and cleaning?

12vctd

I service a few fleets of class 8 trucks and use delo 400 in lots of them per thier requests. its a great oil, but they also stretch thier service intervals well over 25k miles. I have just had great luck with rotella, and I purchase in bulk 55 gal drums. In my opinon any quality oil changed at a regular interval will do just fine. I have freinds who run only walmart brand oil in thier trucks and haul loaded cattle trailers everyday, racking up alot of mileage without any problems. There are pros and cons of all the rands, but most important is regular maintence

Buckmaw

Heres a link to a great article/test on fuel lubricicity additives
I personally use "Stanadyne Jr"

Lubricity Additive Study Results - Diesel Place
So if I read that article correctly, I should carry some biodiesel in my 5gal can
and put 1 gallon in when I fill up for the best results?

edit:

Actually, I need to carry B100 in my jerry can and put 1/2 gallon (60 oz) in with
every fillup...

Last edited:

12vctd

thou your running a low mixture of bio is a extremly great cleaner. Dont be surprised if you have to change a few filters during the first few months. Cause the bio will clean your fuel system very well.

charlietango

I use the shell rotella engine oil as well
In summer I use that Power service with cetane boost.
in the cold (it goes to -35 here) I have been using the Power Service with cetane boost + anti-gel or the Stanadyne with anti-gel. only the stanadyne is in that list but I imagine the Power service with antigel is not too far away from those figures. either way an improvement from pump fuel but not the best. looks like I will see if OPTILUBE XPD is available around here.

I run the 6.2, a 465 hercules multifuel, and a 6.6 duramax all year round.

Grantshire

Thanks everyone for the responses and experiences, great information. I had already printed out the Lube Order but was interested in everyone's take on additives, synthetics, etc., and whether or not you guys do something different than what is listed in the Lube Order. My daughter's Oh-9 is due an oil change and with winter coming on I need to address cold weather operation (cold being relative here in Virginia) and outline a standard routine for her.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
is there a reason no one uses delo 400? i've always heard it's good oil and thats what I plan to refill with on first oil change for my 1008.
One of the reasons we dont use Delo400 down here, you cant find it. It might be more available in other places but the Rotella can be had everywhere down here.

Delo400 is an excellent oil for GM's, used it offshore for many a year. It mysteriously got replaced by Rotella.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks