• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

For anyone wanting more speed for your deuce

It's a little pricey but my buddy Russ at Gearhart Engineering makes a lower numerically gear ratio for the 2.5 ton topload. It's a 5.41:1 ratio. Plus he makes many other cool stuff for the Rockwell axles also. You can checkout his stuff at Gearhart Engineering These are high quality gearsets and he has several sets in use on the western coast in a few deuces. So enjoy/drool or what ever. Lol:-D:-D

jatonka

I am happy to see that gearsets are made but I can't handle $6600 for one Deuce, maybe we could all contact this guy and he might get cheaper? JT out

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm with jatonka, I would love to have more speed out of my deuce with stock 900 20's, but I could buy my slow deuce 4 times over for what a set of the gears would cost. As nice as they are, it's just too much money.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Joe Young once said...if you want more speed out of your deuce, remove the radiator cap and back the truck out. Drive a Peterbuilt in and re-install the radiator cap. These trucks are not made for speed. Guys who paid $1500-3500 for their trucks and can mount monster truck tires on them to get higher road speeds are not going to pay big money to accomplish the same thing. It is called market research.

Last edited:

loosewrenchcowboy

who needs highway gears?

instead of bobbing my M135, i just dropped out a rear axle, centered it in the wheelwell, used F600 springs and hangers, and built a dropped frame section to mount it all up. stock springs and hangers in the front, but built dropped mounts for the hangers. swapped in rockwells, and 16.00x20's. now i'm afraid to top her out-I've done 70mph-no problem. kinda scary though. :shock:

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If one was doing a frame-off total rebuild and customization, the 6600 would be nothing. For others, replacing the engine and transmission with one that turns a little faster, or putting larger tires on, would be enough. 65 and over is very fast in a deuce. The suspension is not made to behave well at high speeds.

GoHot229

Your friend no doubt makes quality stuff. Like some of the others, I wouldnt pay 6K for gears. Whats the point? You are bakwards engeneering here, its a dirtbike of trucks, not a road racer.... But mabe someone will bite.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I give you friend lots of credit and even admiration for being able to produce the gears but I just can't see a need or the expense personally.

As a couple folks have already stated..and I agree...the brake systems, steering and suspension and just the overall design of the deuce makes 55-60 MPH plenty fast for me.
(Maybe 30 years ago I would have thought differently);-)

If I want to get somewhere quickly I sure ain't gonna drive an MV:-D

Attachments

joec

4.90:1 Gear Set
[1602] $1,200.00
That's right boys and girls. For the first time in its history, there is now a choice of ratios for the Rockwell 2.5 Ton Axle. Pinion gears are crafted from 9310 alloy with the "ring" gear made from 8620 alloy. Both pieces are shot peened for added strength. The 4.90:1 set includes a new aircraft grade 4340 input shaft. Gears are spiral cut and lapped for a perfect matching fit.

This is from Ouverson! You can use the stock bull gear.

but its better @ $3600 for 3 axle's still alot but but 4:90 gear set is pretty good...my2cents

Attachments

Last edited:

joeypushjr1

plus you gotta think you throw that gear in there . now you going to lose prescious off road power and pulling power by installing a higher gear just to get 10mph more out of your truck to me it aint worth it . ill stick to tire upgrades.

stumps

plus you gotta think you throw that gear in there . now you going to lose prescious off road power and pulling power by installing a higher gear just to get 10mph more out of your truck to me it aint worth it . ill stick to tire upgrades.
Do you imagine that using larger tires doesn't cause you to lose "prescious" off road power and pulling power?

-Chuck

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks