• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Insulating the cab

Hammer

Well, I had planned on starting this job earlier, but my plans had got changed.
Funny thing, after waiting so long, I stumble upon some NICE foam to use for insulation.
It comes all glued together in different thickness of layers to fit some missile parts (thanks DAN!!!)
Funny part, they used GREEN glue between the layers of foam. So when I pulled the foam apart, I already had a nice green color to the foam I was going to use.
Oh yeah, the foam was free..... that always helps!

Anyways, I started pulling layers apart, and found two layers so far that will work perfect! One layer fits great for the hard top. It goes in panels and sits behind the little lips like it was made for this exact job.
The larger layer fits perfectly for the rear cab wall. It sits flush with the larger supports, and looks like it will do a great job.

I tried to get a 'press fit' on most pieces so they would stay still and work better.
I haven't finished yet, but I got some good progress done yesterday while I had a little time.
I need to pull the seats out to finish the cab walls, and I need to pull a few more layers of foam apart to finish the cab top.

I have some rubber/aluminum roofing stuff I will use behind the dash, then use this foam over that. But that means pulling the dash apart, and I have to move the truck around a bit, so I can get into that part of the project just yet.

Btw, Dan, I could use some more of this foam!

And I plan on making some canvas covers for the cab, kind of like how they used to do the old semi's, and like the 915 has. Except I am going to use canvas from some tents I have. So I will keep the full military theme going, while trying to tame the noise and mainly tame the temperature swings.

Anyways, here are a few pictures I took with my phone so you could get an idea of just how well this stuff fits in the cab! This would obviously work the same in a deuce as well.

Attachments

stampy

Nice! I am going to use sheet Kflex...the stuff they use for pipes(the soft flexable expensive stuff, not he cheap foam). I lucked out a few years ago and acquired some at a reasonable price in sheet form 3/4 thick self adhesive! I already started on my CUCV!:jumpin:

Hammer

Ha, yeah, he could throw it into his truck from the supply truck!
Btw, I just pulled the foam apart with my hands.
And I cut the foam with a sharp pocket knife (small Kershaw, makes it easy with the small thing!)

If you want it to look perfect, make cardboard templates, and use a razor knife for clean cuts with a straight edge.
I plan on covering mine, so I was only really interested in making it all fit and WORK. I won't bother covering it up if it doesn't do a good enough job. But I think that shouldn't be too hard to quantify. ANYTHING has to be better then stock!

Hammer

There are some fairly thin sheets that are 'almost' the full width of the cab. So you could easily put them above the support ribs for the soft top. But you might be a little hard pressed to make it look good. And the foam is pretty firm, and the movement of the soft top might wear it out kind of fast.

srodocker

ok another project for me :)...

HIJACK! i need a break pressure switch! anyone of you guys have one or a part number?

so where would you put it around the cab?

Hammer

Insulating that will be EASY. Just use the easy spray glue stuff, and you are set and DONE in a few minutes!
Of course you will spend FAR longer pulling apart the foam to get the sheets of the thickness you want....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks