• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stopped by the NCSHP

Status
Not open for further replies.

wb1895

Well it happened today guys, I got stopped by the NCSHP.

I had just picked up 6,000 lbs of gravel for my house when the SHP stopped me for a weight check. I have my deuce registered as a antique vehicle, and was told by the trooper that a antique vehicle tag only covers 4,000 lbs GVWR. He put my truck on his portable scales and weighed me at 20,500 lbs. So, he was "nice" enough to give me a 500lb grace, and then wrote me a ticket for being 16,000 lbs overweight. I tried explaining that the truck was NOT commercial and that it was primarily used for show and historical significance. He replied that he was also being nice and not writing me a ticket for not having a fuel decal. He told me that in NC if your truck has three or more axles then I must buy a fuel decal. I once again explained that my truck was NOT commercial, but it didnt matter.

So, after receiving a $630.00 ticket and an hour and a half later I was allowed to leave.....:evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:

Anybody want to buy a good 1971 non turbo deuce?!?!?!?!??

Boatcarpenter

wb1895,
So, when you registered your truck did the person that gave you antique tags not know about the weight limit for those tags or did you tell a "little white lie" of about 20k lbs on the Gross Vehicle weight question;)?
BC

jblack6527

Man, that sucks!
It's nice to read though, since I'm in the same boat. I registered mine with an antique tag as well, the DMV lady told me that since I was not commercial, it would be fine. I guess the gravel in the bed sorta compounds that problem.

roscoe

Well it happened today guys, I got stopped by the NCSHP.

I had just picked up 6,000 lbs of gravel for my house when the SHP stopped me for a weight check. I have my deuce registered as a antique vehicle, and was told by the trooper that a antique vehicle tag only covers 4,000 lbs GVWR. He put my truck on his portable scales and weighed me at 20,500 lbs. So, he was "nice" enough to give me a 500lb grace, and then wrote me a ticket for being 16,000 lbs overweight. I tried explaining that the truck was NOT commercial and that it was primarily used for show and historical significance. He replied that he was also being nice and not writing me a ticket for not having a fuel decal. He told me that in NC if your truck has three or more axles then I must buy a fuel decal. I once again explained that my truck was NOT commercial, but it didnt matter.

So, after receiving a $630.00 ticket and an hour and a half later I was allowed to leave.....:evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:

Anybody want to buy a good 1971 non turbo deuce?!?!?!?!??
If your only allowed 4k GVWR then why did they give you an antique plate for a 13.5K truck? Expensive load of gravel.

KsM715

If an antique tag is only good to 4Klbs in NC then theres probably not much you can do. However on the fuel sticker issue, I'd find out if the big 3 axle RV's are required to have a fuel sticker.

63sierra10

If by fuel sticker they mean the IFTA tag then that is federal and that by the federal law is for commercial trucks. Where they might have you is the state laws of weight requiring a CDL. The IFTA tag is only required if you are transporting interstate goods not intrastate goods. You are in the right on the fuel tag then and he knows it that is why he said he was being nice. You were just the lucky Joe for a bored Barney Fife.

wb1895

The load only has to be covered if it is anything that can blow out of the truck. so, no it wasnt covered. The trooper told me that he just looked at my tag and "knew" that the truck weighed more than the tag allowed.

When I got the tag for the truck I told the lady at the DMV that the truck weighed 13.5 K and could haul 10K. She said that I would be fine and not to worry about it. So, I guess that the egg is on my face for not doing my own research.

I am still Pi$$ed as heck!!!!!!!:twisted::twisted::twisted:

Farmun

Not sure about NC, but in TN there are limits to what a vehicle licensed as an antique can haul. That is not much. They did change the law recently about when and where antique vehicles can be driven. This is why I tagged mine as a personal truck.

63sierra10

NC law pertaining to antique vehicles says nothing about GVWR or size.

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/enactedlegislation/statutes/pdf/bysection/chapter_105/gs_105-330.9.pdf

BTW, look on the ticket and find the specific statue that he says you broke. Then look it up on the NC statutes website and see what it says,
Here it is. You can fight this and win if you so desire. It will end up costing you more than the 630 for the ticket but it will be a big step for the rest of the MVers in NC who may run into the same thing. Idle cops are the devils playthings.

Blood_of_Tyrants

The ST was just making up the 4K thing because there is no such thing as a weight limit on an antique vehicle, if there was, half the antique cars would be breaking the law. He was just being a wise a$$ because he just didn't like the fact that you were using your antique vehicle to haul gravel. Besides, the great thing about the deuce is that it is under the 26k commercial vehicle limit.

Get a lawyer and take it to court.

Nonotagain

Not sure about NC, but in TN there are limits to what a vehicle licensed as an antique can haul. That is not much. They did change the law recently about when and where antique vehicles can be driven. This is why I tagged mine as a personal truck.
Most states place limitations on vehicles registered as Antique. Some limit you to less than 5,000 miles per year. Others specify, Saturdays, Sundays, parades or transporting the vehicle to be worked on.

Maryland has you sign an affidavit that the vehicle is not to be used for daily transportation.

There is no penalty for using it as a daily driver and they can't revoke the tag.

I did not read the link for NC laws, but again, most states restrict trucks by not allowing cargo to be carried in the bed or being able to tow a trailer.

wb1895

I am a former LEO (city cop) So, I have looked in the NC motor vehicle handbook,looking for answers. I was not able to locate ANYTHING about private MV's or anything else. I also looked up the antique vehicle law and it said "any vehicle 35 years old or older" So, I believe that this is going to be my argument. Nowhere in the statute does it say anything about weight.

I am still PI$$ED!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks