• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What to look for when purchasing a fully restored 1969 M35A2

KJ1969

I am new to the Duce world and looking to buy a 1969 fully restored M35A2. What things should I look for to avoid major $$$ mechanical problems later. Here are some of the items listed for the truck: Air Shift Transfer Case- New Military Surplus Air Assist Steering Kit- New 600 Watt Block Heater- New Goodyear MVT Radials on New Wheels- New Crate Hercules Motor, Transmission, Front & Rear Axles- New Arctic Heater Package- New Air Assist Power Steering- New Military Dome Light- New Bed Top- New Winch Cable and Cover- New Military Spec Batteries- Electric Wipers- Pyrometer gauge- All New Gauges- No Oil Leaks.
Thanks for everyone’s help in advance…:beer:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The description reads like one for a very desirable truck. While it is promising and indicates that the truck has been gone over and repaired/upgraded very carefully, there are no guarantees, just probabilities.

It may be somewhat unrealistic to purchase a 40 year old truck, based on ancient technology, and expect that it will not need noticeable upkeep.

It certainly requires more attention (more grease zerks, plenty of fluids, shorter tire life span etc.) than a modern day pickup truck.

You may, however, end up purchasing a truck that is "stable'' - where all mechanical and electrical problems were fixed and it is, again, at the stage where regular maintenance is all that is required for happy motoring.

KJ1969

I know what you mean about old mechanical technology, it requires a little more attention sometimes… Are there any common problems with the compressed air system and or brake components on this year truck?

sandcobra164

The truck description makes it seem like a very desirable deuce. I'd verify all of these components are installed and everything is in good working order. There are quite a few people out there who will try and flip these trucks for profit. Pretty easy to spot. Fresh Paint in an abnormal camo pattern is a dead giveaway, paint where there normally would not be paint due to wear marks, a seller listing that "it only has 500 miles" coupled with a tach that reads 3,000 hours or both speedo and tach being replaced, showing the MWO tag for seatbelt installation and claiming "depot rebuild", etc. Not that the trucks aren't worth something. Some people just try to inflate the value by buying a case of spray paint, a set of gauges and cash in. That's not the point of this hobby in my opinion.

KJ1969

Thanks for all the good info... I am thinking that the compressed air system or braking system needs the most attention. Are there any common problems associated with them?

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for all the good info... I am thinking that the compressed air system or braking system needs the most attention. Are there any common problems associated with them?
Leaks, mis-adjusted brake shoes, master cylinder and air pack in need of overhaul, rusted steel brake lines, old cracked brake flex hoses etc. etc.

There are good threads here on what to check on a Deuce that you consider buying or before you get into that seat and intend to drive off.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
With an ad like that where a seller constantly yells "NEW", I am going to assume they have a price that matches (i.e. high).

I would assume (hope) they can provide some proof that the engine is really a new crate engine, axles are new, etc.

These trucks are about like 1960's or 1970's trucks-very simple and easy to work on, reasonably well engineered but even a freshly rebuilt unit will not be as trouble free as a brand new truck.

You will chase leaks for the rest of your life-just so many places for so many fluids to escape.

KJ1969

I will let everyone know if I become a new Duce owner within the next two weeks. If I do, I will include pictures so you can tell me what you think of the truck & the parts (new and or rebuilt)... Thanks for all your input.

Katahdin

New 66' owner here. +1 on the rusty brake lines. I've replaced 5 of them so far and two rubber hoses. I also have to go into the hub to rebuild at least one leaky wheel cylinder.

militarysteel

How much are you paying for this " brand new truck " the M35A2 model had a long run over many years,
just keep in mind some people buy those trucks for $700 to $1600 in some cases, and on top of that you could end up getting a great truck as well, ( if nobody else is bidding on it ) Just don't pay too much man.. don't get ripped off. no need to pay super money for something with some slapped on tires and flat cammo rustoliem'd paint job. Also be patient.

Skycop

I would second the opinion regarding wheel cylinders. On our 66 model we had to replace quite a few of those. Other than that, had to swap out the brake light actuator that couples to the air system, but just like a car, make sure they are rigged right and preventative maint.

As far as the compressor and governor, I have found they either work or don't :) They aren't that bad to repair/replace either.

A good test is to run the truck, let the air system charge, drive it for a bit, and shut it down...let it sit...and see how long it will hold a charge of air. It at the very least gives indications of seal conditions, line integrity, etc.

Our -A2 will hold a charge for a long time, while the newer -A3 will only hold a good charge for 3-4 hours... and we are slowly replacing air lines on the -A3.

KJ1969

I am told all brake lines, wheel cylinders and other braking components have been checked, replaced or rebuilt. Would any of you recommend upgrading the oil & fuel filter system (or other items on the truck), I was told the 69 Duce I’m looking at has been upgraded with a better filtering system. I worry about getting replacement parts when OEM stock stuff is not on the truck. The seller also told me that he has receipts for all the new, rebuilt & upgraded items that have gone into the truck over the last 2 years or so. He feels I can use them to get the non OEM replacement parts later if needed. This may help you with the recommendation; I plan to drive the Duce as much as possible, maybe 5k miles or more a year 10% light off road driving the rest paved street/highway driving…

Skycop

Well the seller has done alot to this truck. Sounds like he knows what he is talking about. Driving the truck is EXACTLY what you need to do. As long as you keep up with preventative maint. she will run forever.

I can make an analogy to airplanes, and when they sit they require alot of $ to make them fly. But think about your body. If you do some heavy lifting or something to where you don't use a certain muscle group all of the time, and then you use that group, you will probably be sore the next day, or have a good chance of getting hurt.

This is the same with any mechanical piece of equipment. They must be driven/flown/operated. The more you do that, the less trouble you will have. This is why even though we don't use our M35 but maybe 1-2x a year in actual conditions, we drive it every week. Good luck and I can wait to see photos.

KJ1969

I will, if all works out I should have pictures within 3 to 4 weeks. By the way, how much are those of you that have insurance on your Duce paying for it?

wsucougarx

Gees, KJ1969 the truck you are getting sounds great and all but there's one thing. Restoring these trucks is 80% of the fun w/the other 20% being driving them. Good luck to you with whatever decision you make.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks