• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Found Frame VIN

houdel

I've seen a number of postings describing the location of the frame VIN but never a picture of the location. I needed to find mine, so I took a putty knife to the frame, scraped off the rustproofing material from the shock mount forward to the bumper bracket. Still couldn't locate the number, so I started spraying the remaining rustproofing with carb & choke cleaner and scrubbing with a stiff brush to get the rest of the gunk off. Eventually I saw a number "1" show up and I knew I had found the right location!

Some more scrubbing and I had all five numbers exposed. They are pretty faint, so I tried sandpaper to highlight the numbers better. The numbers, at least on my frame, were not stamped very deeply, some numbers are not even completely stamped, but at least you can make out what they are. I had to highlight the numbers with crayon so they would show up in the photo. BTW, they DO match the last five numbers of my data plate.

As you can see from the photo, my numbers are on the side of the frame, about 1" up from the bottom flange, and roughly centered between the front axle u-bolt and first spring keeper. If you need to find YOUR frame number, this is probably as good a place as any to start.

Now for the hard question. After I get my Deuce inspected, what should I use to re-rustproof my frame? The stuff that was on there was a black, wax like substance (not like tar or rubber), 1/8" or more thick, and real tough to get off the frame. I suspect it was a hot, spray applied wax of some sort. I'm not overly impressed with the typical rubbery spray-on undercoatings I've seen (unless they have improved them in the past several years). Should I try some of the roll-on bedliner coating or hope I can find a decent spray-on undercoating? Are there any specific products anyone out there found to be satisfactory?

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks