• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear Disc Brakes

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I received my M1028 the rear brakes were grabbing bad, so I pulled the rear drums to inspect. The drums and shoes looked like the surface of the moon, and my mechanic determined that the drums were too severly de-faced to be turned. The cost of new drums, shoes, and the other items was over $700, so I began thinking about replacing those drums with Disc Brakes. I found exactly what I needed at TSM Manufacturing in Castle Rock, CO. TSM MFG. CO., INC. Special brackets, rotors, brake lines, and rebuilt calipers from a 1977 Cadillac El Dorado with emergency brakes. The whole outfit came in a little south of $700 and fit like a glove. Now, the truck will stop on a dime going forward or backward, even after being underwater. The TSM kit includes everything necessary including flexible SS lines to compensate for the caliper movement. Have a look -

Attachments

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was really surprising how easy it installed. The only hitch was the tabs that hold the SS flexible lines had to be welded to the rear of the perch. Other than that, it was simply bolt-on. The braking power is now stronger and consistent, with a full, firm pedal.

JamesM

That's awesome!

I had the rear drums on an older truck that I had a while ago fail on me and had to replace everything (at the expense of staying original)..but that is a nice mod..especially if you plan on going under water at all. LOL

kapnklug

On mine the drums and the bearing hub seem to be one big cast piece. Did you have to separate the drums from the hub or did the new rotors come with the hub?

Cucvnut

read what he can do for you on the link to pirate 4x4's he can make the kit work with other axles but the brackets need to be welded on.

burbn10

When I received my M1028 the rear brakes were grabbing bad, so I pulled the rear drums to inspect. The drums and shoes looked like the surface of the moon, and my mechanic determined that the drums were too severly de-faced to be turned. The cost of new drums, shoes, and the other items was over $700, so I began thinking about replacing those drums with Disc Brakes. I found exactly what I needed at TSM Manufacturing in Castle Rock, CO. TSM MFG. CO., INC. Special brackets, rotors, brake lines, and rebuilt calipers from a 1977 Cadillac El Dorado with emergency brakes. The whole outfit came in a little south of $700 and fit like a glove. Now, the truck will stop on a dime going forward or backward, even after being underwater. The TSM kit includes everything necessary including flexible SS lines to compensate for the caliper movement. Have a look -
Did you have any issues getting adjusting the front/rear brake power ratio? Did you have to install an adjustable proportioning valve? Also, do you have that GM factory load adjusting brake valve still on your truck? (Not sure if M1028 had them) I am in the same boat as you were with the rear brakes. Just wondering how easy it was to set up. I don't want tire drag in the snow, so that's why I am asking about the brake pressure balancing. Thanks

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The kit on Pirate has calipers without emergency brakes. The calipers from TSM are rebuilt '77 Eldorado Cadillac with emergency brakes. Also, the Pirate kit uses rubber hoses, and the TSM kit provides flexible Stainless Steel lines with mounting tabs.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M1028 does indeed have the factory load-proportioning valve. I didn't touch it and everything works perfect. The only time this would need to be modified is if the truck was lifted.

burbn10

My M1028 does indeed have the factory load-proportioning valve. I didn't touch it and everything works perfect. The only time this would need to be modified is if the truck was lifted.
Thanks a lot. I am definitely going to do the disc brake swap then. My drums aren't making me happy right now.

burbn10

Well I did the TSM disc brake conversion (with e-brake) this weekend. It was super easy to get installed, but then came the emergency brake cables.... Getting that spring guard off the end of the e-cable is a PITA.... Other than that I had the brakes installed in about 25 minutes per side. Overall I love this truck mod. Works great with the factory proportioning valve / load adjusting valve. Very happy with TSM's quality and ease of installation.

Last edited:

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have had my TSM rear brake conversion installed for several months and am still amazed at the braking power. Even backing downhill, the rear brakes do not grab the way the drum brakes did. Without a doubt, one of the best modifications available for the M pickups.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks