• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fort Sill M105A2 Recovery

Happyland1410

Well, I recovered my M105A2 Trailer from Fort Sill, Oklahoma today :jumpin:
I bought my deuce from another SS member last year and purchased a parts deuce from GSA but this was my first GL purchase and recovery.

I submitted the EUC on 7/15/2010 and received my paid in full notification on 10/8/2010.

Thanks to all the great posts on this site about working with GL and on trailer recoveries, everything went smoothly. You can see in one of the pictures that I brought a lot of tools and supplies but thankfully little was needed. I had planned on attempting to flip the lunette ring, but after seeing that it wasn't nosed down too bad I decided to just leave that for another day.

The trailer pulled great behind my F350. You couldn't hardly tell it was back there. I kept it at 60 mph or below for the 130 mile trip home.

Attachments

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now that you have your first GL purchase out of the way, what else are you going to buy........... M818?......M915A1?........CUCV?.........:lol:

Great looking trailer and congrats on the successful recovery.

92RT-TT

I just made my first trailer purchase too.

Good looking trailer btw! Hopefully I can get mine looking like that once I pick it up

Last edited:

nofearnohope

I just did a trailer recovery from Ft Sill as well, with the help of Warthog, just a few weeks ago. It was very easy and quite painless. They have some really good looking trailers coming out of there.

wikallen

Looks great, did your tailgate clear the hitch? I have the same hitch set up on my F250, and the handle of the tailgate just cleared the hitch. The hitch point was just at 30" or so high then.

I notice you have fairly new tires on your truck? I am do for new ones (90,000+ miles on my goodyears) and I need to get some before the snow flys. I just can not make up my mind. What tire are you running and what do you have to say about their handling?

scranch18121

Nice trailer. Iv'e never taken that many tools and stuff for a recovery of a trailer. But maybe I should.

Wikallen. I run BFG All terrain on my F350 4x4 They are a great tire but wont last 90k. Maybe 45-50K

Happyland1410

Looks great, did your tailgate clear the hitch? I have the same hitch set up on my F250, and the handle of the tailgate just cleared the hitch. The hitch point was just at 30" or so high then.

I notice you have fairly new tires on your truck? I am do for new ones (90,000+ miles on my goodyears) and I need to get some before the snow flys. I just can not make up my mind. What tire are you running and what do you have to say about their handling?
Yes, the tailgate just clears the hitch.

The tires on my truck are BFGoodrich All-Terrain LT295/75R16. I put these on just a few weeks after I bought the truck new in 2003. They have just over 60,000 miles on them. They are getting close to the end of their life. The outer edges of the ones currently on the front are fairly worn. I have been very pleased with them and I can't believe they have lasted this long on this heavy of a truck. They have handled great on the road and in snow and ice. I was used to the relatively few miles I get from the 14/35-16.5 tires on my 1976 F250 4x4.

92RT-TT

For light duty trucks I've used BFG AT's. But for a heavy truck like a Diesel the load range C of the BFG AT's isn't ideal if you plan to do heavy hauling.

Happyland1410

For light duty trucks I've used BFG AT's. But for a heavy truck like a Diesel the load range C of the BFG AT's isn't ideal if you plan to do heavy hauling.
They do have D and E rated BFG AT's as well.

My LT295/75R16 tires are D rated but have a max load of 3415 lbs which is the same max load rating as the E rated original size of LT265/75R16.

You can check out the specs here:

All-Terrain T/A KO | BFGoodrich Tires

92RT-TT

They do have D and E rated BFG AT's as well.

My LT295/75R16 tires are D rated but have a max load of 3415 lbs which is the same max load rating as the E rated original size of LT265/75R16.

You can check out the specs here:

All-Terrain T/A KO | BFGoodrich Tires

Ah I stand corrected, I've only had the C load range and I thought I remembered when I ordered my size that they didnt have a heavier range. Thanks for the info!

92RT-TT

Just got an email saying I needed to white out individual and put "personal" in a spot and then sign some other letter and then email that in too... well its progress I guess lol

Happyland1410

Now that you have your first GL purchase out of the way, what else are you going to buy........... M818?......M915A1?........CUCV?.........:lol:

Great looking trailer and congrats on the successful recovery.
I think that better be it for a while :roll: My wife has been very understanding, even though she doesn't understand :cookoo: my OD obsession, so I don't want to push it. Anyway, I need to work on what I've already got. The neighbors might already be thinking that the National Guard is opening a new base in my yard. :shock:

wikallen

Thanks for you tire opinions. Didn't mean to change the thread subject, I just need to decide on what tire to run next.

Do you pull any heavy trailers with your D tires? With tools and parts I need for my work, I am over 8400 lbs with a my CCSB. I also pull trailers up to about 10k. My current tire is a Goodyear Wrangler AT/S I believe. Sams club buy. I have never liked the tire. Wanders all over the place, and tracks horrible with a loaded trailer. I have tested more pressure, less pressure, and nothing made the difference. Once they started to get wore down, they finally tracked better to a point I could put up with them. I have run nothing but E rated tires on my truck. Its just ironic that the worst handling tire has been able to last over 90k miles. I tried to rotate them last year, but the vibrations got worse, so I put them back the way they were.

I do not plan to put another 90k miles on the next set, **** by then I might actually get a different truck, since I am at 330k miles on this one now. I just need an A/T tire that will not wander or vibrate down the highway. I have thought about the BFG A/T, so I might need to take a closer look at them again.

Happyland1410

Thanks for you tire opinions. Didn't mean to change the thread subject, I just need to decide on what tire to run next.

Do you pull any heavy trailers with your D tires? With tools and parts I need for my work, I am over 8400 lbs with a my CCSB. I also pull trailers up to about 10k. My current tire is a Goodyear Wrangler AT/S I believe. Sams club buy. I have never liked the tire. Wanders all over the place, and tracks horrible with a loaded trailer. I have tested more pressure, less pressure, and nothing made the difference. Once they started to get wore down, they finally tracked better to a point I could put up with them. I have run nothing but E rated tires on my truck. Its just ironic that the worst handling tire has been able to last over 90k miles. I tried to rotate them last year, but the vibrations got worse, so I put them back the way they were.

I do not plan to put another 90k miles on the next set, **** by then I might actually get a different truck, since I am at 330k miles on this one now. I just need an A/T tire that will not wander or vibrate down the highway. I have thought about the BFG A/T, so I might need to take a closer look at them again.
I have pulled a car trailer at about 7K locally and my 24 foot travel trailer at around 5K for thousands of miles. I have never noticed any wandering with these tires. I just checked tonight and they still have 7/32" of tread left at 60,000 miles. I have been waiting for these to wear out so I can go to a larger 315 tire which will also require new wider rims. Unfortunately the 315/75 R16 in the BFG A/T is only rated for a max load of 3195 lbs instead of the 265 or 295 sizes which have a load rating of 3415 lbs which matches the factory tire rating. I have been looking at the Toyo Open Country M/T which has an E rated 315 with a max load of 3860 lbs or the new Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac which has the same 3860 lbs rating.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks