• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Horn

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm tring to get the horn working to pass a saftey inspection. I have power to the steering wheel and i replaced the horn relay. If i run a hot wire to the horn itself it works. I tried a search and found warthogs pics on the relays and diodes. If i remove the diode in the harness in the pics would i have any problems? Can i test is with a multimeter? If i need this diode, where could i find one? I also removed the diode mounted right next to the horn it's self. Or mabye its a noise filter for the radios? Thanks,

dependable

Horn button on steering wheel activates relay by grounding out. If the horn button parts are messed up, you can ground simple push button to wheel and connect to wire, for quick fix for inspection. Horn button parts are still available or strip from any similar chevy. Horn relay should make clicking sound even if horn not hooked up. Had one that was stuck on once. I cut the diode attached to the horn relay plug, and solved the problem.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the reply, I believe the horn button is working ok. I tried running a wire down into the socket and then grounding it to the steering shaft. Nothing. Then i swapped the horn button from my civi truck that is known to work. And still nothing. I have power at the relay. Mabye i'll jump it there and see if works?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The diode is not really necessary. It is used to cutdown on the "electrical noise" for the Military Radios.

I tried a search and found warthogs pics on the relays and diodes. If i remove the diode in the harness in the pics would i have any problems? Can i test is with a multimeter?
The diode can be checked with a multimeter. You will have Zero ohms with the leads connected one way and an open circuit with the leads reversed.

Also the Suppressor/capacitor at the horn is also used to reduce noise for the Military Radios.

The horn circuit is very simple.

12v is fed to the Horn Relay via the Orange wire.

The Horn button grounds the circuit to energize the relay via the Black wire.

When energized the relay closes and sends 12v to the horn via the Dark Green wire. This wire passes thru the firewall at the Main Terminal Block next to the steering column.

Things to check:

Voltage from the fuse box to the relay. You should have 12v with the key on. Make sure the fuse is good.

I have power at the relay. Mabye i'll jump it there and see if works?
You can remove the relay and jumper between the orange wire and the green wire. That will send the 12v directly to the horn.

Black wire from the horn button to the relay. Disconnect the relay and check the ohms when you press the button. The problem could be the horn button or the steering column connection.

Green wire. Check the ohms between the Horn Relay and the connector at the horn "before" the suppressor/capasitor. The only connectos are the firewall connection block and at the suppressor.

Check the suppressor at the horn. They do age and go bad. They are used on the wipers, heater motor, alternators and the horn. You might need to remove it.

Attachments

Last edited:

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
ken you may replace the horn it self these old cucv horn did not last that long at all my worked ok and then died the inside of them rust out the metal strip.
I bought new one from LMC Truck.
Now work just fine.

dave wells

ok i no this sounds dumb but i just bought a m1008 cucv and i dont even no how to turn on the horn i no it has one i found the horn but cant figure out the switch please help

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks