• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1009 will not start, melted fusible link

homegrown

The truck is actually a m1008, not sure why i put 1009 in title.
Went out to start my truck and go to work, but no start. the truck had power, but by the time the glow plugs shut off the batteries acted like they were dead and the starter just clicked, i figured i had a dead battery. unhookedt the batteries and charged them, then the starter would not even try to turn over. Started looking around it looks like the smaller wire coming off of the negative post of barrety 2 is burnt at the fusible link before the thermo. What size wire is the fusible link and any idea what is causing this..

i did a search and could not locate anything, not saying it is not already on here, but i could not find it.. thnaks for any help

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking at the diagram that I have posted many times and colored the wires, the wire size is 3. If you look at the first few pages of the troubke shooting section of Technical Manual TM 9-2320-289-20, it has the wire sizes.

From that chart the #3 wire size is a 12 guage fusablelink.

You do have the Tech Manuals don't you?

If not visit www.jatonkasm35s.com and down load the manuals for the CUCV.

Something caused the fuse to melt and save you truck from burning up. More than likely the starter relay. Search for the Dodhead Relay update.

homegrown

Thanks warthog.. This is my first MV (but it's not gonna be the last) and at the time i didn't know what a TM was.. Now i am alot more familiar with it and alot better at reading electrical diagrams and using a voltage meter.. Thanks for taking some time to help a newbie.. [thumbzup]

milke09

i was wondering if anyone know what voltage the wires that go to the starter relay are that power the starter i already replaced the starter relay with the solinoid and the other day i had a problem starting it but i was able to jump the wires on the doghead solenoid. the solenoid isnt getting power to it to power it and i was thinking since jumping the wires at the doghead solenoid worked i could install a push button and bypass the solenoid but i need to know what amp and volt to get the button so i dont fry anything else. also when i would try and start it there was a fusable link that melted that i was able to get working once b4 i tried jumping the wires on the doghead solenoid. idk if it makes sense but i could use the help. and note all this happened on a trail ride

MarcusOReallyus

You are more likely to get help for your problem if you:

1. Post in sentences & paragraphs, not long strings of words with no punctuation. Your post is very difficult to read.
  2. Start a new thread instead of resurrecting one that's been dead for three years.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks