• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 Meltdown

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, it was bound to happen. For the last year or better I have had the updated relay and all the parts to install it in the glove compartment of the truck and failed to install it. Monday I jumped into the truck to go get some pies and it happened, the relay stuck. Knowing exactly what was happening I ran to the garage for wrenches to disco the batteries. Being in such a rush, I screwed up the code and was delayed getting wrenches. I finally got tools and was able to quickly unhook the front battery and the starter stopped but had a more difficult time with the rear battery and burned up some fusible links. Smoke was coming from the starter area as well either due to melting wires or a really hot starter.

Yesterday I was finally able to move it inside but have yet to start working on it. Moving it was a small PITA. Snatched it up from the back with the wrecker and got it close to the garage but needed to use the towbar to push it in. Here is the kicker, I own 3 towbars, one that is in transit to me via the SS Express and 2 mediums. Both mediums were loaned out. One was returned but without feet so I was stuck. After some fussing and kicking dirt I remembered that I had some 3/4" feet and despite the slop, used them to complete the task. I now realize that the need for a towbar doesn't make an appointment so I will have to only loan out one at a time. Hopefully get to start on it soon!

Heed my warning, do the DH Relay mod NOW!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not trying to rub it in, but an ounce of prevention is often worth a pound of cure.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Story of my life Eric. Hopefully I will learn from this and buy 2 new harmonic balancers, one for the Oh-8 and one for the burb. We all know what bad balancers do to 6.2 cranks.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenny I have TM -20 with the wiring pullouts that you asked for. I also have a starter if you need it at the house. I can bring it to you Thursday after work.
Can I borrow both Phil? I'll return them ASAP. If you are going to be over on Gun Club I might could swing by. Kids have Karate from 1630-1930.

Stonepicker1

Yes, I'll have both (TM and Starter) for you Thursday. Give me a call when you can stop by. How is the "hot " wire from the starter to the firewall? I have that cable also.

Borrow...never...no pay back needed. I have three tow-bars if you ever need to use one again, just ask.;-)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will try to check that cable tonight. I know that stuff around the starter got hot and I want to check all of those wires. I moved it and did a prelim check and the only real melted wire was the fusible link on the firewall at the 12V terminal block near the GP relay.

dc3coyote

Sorry to hear about the pile of opportunity you have had. Sounds almost like keeping a gallon of antifreeze in your truck and forgetting to add it before it sat for a entire very cold winter. Guess how I know. In 14 days its block swapping time.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sneakin up on it. Met with Stonepicker1 today and got a reman starter, new starter bolts, main battery cable and a paper -20. I took some of the schematics and had them blown up and laminated http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/70377-wiring-schematics.html#post857610
Also ordered fusible link wire to fix that issue. I already have all of my relay mod stuff including and extra security switch to hide. Might get started on it tomorrow or Saturday.

Was also cruising the U-Pick yard today and absconded with a pair of the factory speaker mounts (4x10) that go in the corners behind the seat. A new set of 4x10 speakers will go in. The mounts and grills cost me a very inflated price of $2.00+ money for the governors theft brigade. All in all, doing well today.

jj

I bought a new GM balancer at the dealer in late '08 or early '09 for my 6.5. Paid $65.ish retail. The box said,"MADE IN USA" I thought it a very reasonable price. Then i asked the man for rubber dampered pulley that bolts to the balancer. The parts guy said, "i always have those in stock. That will be two kidneys and your liver, please." The serpentine belt pulley is VERY expensive, and the damping rubber wears out just like the balancer's. Maybe V-belts aren't so bad after all.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought a new GM balancer at the dealer in late '08 or early '09 for my 6.5. Paid $65.ish retail. The box said,"MADE IN USA" I thought it a very reasonable price. Then i asked the man for rubber dampered pulley that bolts to the balancer. The parts guy said, "i always have those in stock. That will be two kidneys and your liver, please." The serpentine belt pulley is VERY expensive, and the damping rubber wears out just like the balancer's. Maybe V-belts aren't so bad after all.
Amen to that jj. I had to replace one on a 6.5 and it was painful.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Phase 1 repairs complete. Yesterday I was able to pull the faulty relay and install the upgraded relay. While in there I interrupted the purple /white tracer wire and ran it through a well hidden switch to deter folks with CUCV keys from taking a cruise. I would rather do this than go to a non CUCV tumbler. Next will be the starter and I'm waiting on fusible links to finish the repairs. Looking forward to having this thing operational again.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some numbers for folks to digest. I've been learning a little more about fusible link wire. I learned that it is supposed to be 4GA smaller than the load wire. So I ordered some 12GA fusible link wire on line for the 8GA wire along the firewall. My ventures took me to NAPA today to shop for crimp connectors. I wanted non insulated but couldn't find them so I settled for insulated ones. I can always strip off the insulation. NAPA 784275 steps down from 8GA to 12GA which is just perfect for that wire on the firewall. Not knowing if any of the other fusible links are bad, I bought a roll of 16GA fusible link wire PN 785832 and PN 784274 connectors that step down from 16GA to 12GA. They did have the 12GA fusible link wire but since I ordered it already, I didn't buy it. My plan is to replace links and heatshrink them to keep the connection weather tight.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks