• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Xm886a1

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
XM886A1
Well not really. but that came up recently in conversation.

M886 318-2v, 727 auto, NP203, 4.10 gears open diffs 8000gvw
D44-8f front & D60 rear
XM886A1 360-2v, 727 auto, NP203 w/pto for 12,000 lb winch. 4.88 gears. locker in dually rear
D60 front D70 Rear

XM886A2 same as A1 except as follows: cummins 6bt, 3.73 gears (perhaps a different trans & tcase.

again there was never any such things as XM886A1 or A2

Attachments

Last edited:

Wy-m880

Man that is sweet, i think some one needs to do a crew cab, i wish i had a spare 886 with crappy cab id do it myself, i would never do that to the one i aquired now even though i need to fix roof and one fron pillar on cab

MatthewH

I think that would be pretty sweet. Is that your truck, and if so, are the listed stats real? Tell me more...:drool:
The ambulance does belong to BobH, but it is stock. This came up last summer at our first MIMVPA show, when Bob and I were talking about A1/A2 versions of the M880 series trucks. I was in the process of building a Cummins powered M887, using a '92 drivetrain and a '77 sheetmetal, unfortunatly, the project fell through and I ended up driving the '92.

The A2 I was building was a 12v cummins, 4spd Auto-OD, 205 tcase, and Dana 60 front, Dana 70 rear. Maybe one day I'll be able to finish this project

Danger Ranger

So they made a dually M886? And had a brushguard for it? I have never heard of such a truck, so yes, I am skeptical. Also, it had the 360 and not the 318 (understandable with its weight)? Last, is the winch custom or was it stock? Rereading the original post, was this an experimental or limited production? What was this?
Thanks,
DR

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is not and never was a M886.
The body was made by MARK Body Co, just like the M886's
It is not an "M" series yet it is a 1978 US Air Force contract airfield ambulance.
Only changes are the paint and tires, was Strata Blue and had bias ply tires, I also cut off the rear step, & swapped out the orange front markers for the clear '77 M886 style.

360, 12k winch, brush guard all original.

here is a pic of one in original condition.

Attachments

Last edited:

Danger Ranger

So what is it called? Does it have a name or designation, obviously it wasn't a mass production. Thanks for all your answers. Its just something I hadn't heard of before.:driver:

The PIG Smith

The body was made by MARK Body Co, just like the M886's
It is not an "M" series yet it is a 1978 US Air Force contract airfield ambulance.
The USAF also bought these from Jeep.
A have a few of my FSJ buddies with an ambulance based off a mid 70's Jeep J20, AMC 360 V8, T18 4 speed, Dana20 transfercase with a PTO winch.
Same body as the M886.

The PIG Smith

1976 Jeep J-20 Air Force Ambulance

Pics or they aren't real!!! lol.
J20 ambulance - International Full Size Jeep Association
(you might need to be a member to view, but we are family friendly place and it's free)

Here is it for sale:
1976 Jeep J-20 Air Force Ambulance Des Moines, Iowa New Lower Price - International Full Size Jeep Association
$3500
(this is not my rig and I am NOT trying to sell it...just there is more pics and information on this posting about this 1976 Jeep J-20 Air Force Ambulance)

Oh and BTW, Full Size Jeeps RULE! HAHAHA

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just found your thread from when you first got it. I also thought of another question: what model is the winch?:mrgreen:
Ramsey

The USAF also bought these from Jeep.
A have a few of my FSJ buddies with an ambulance based off a mid 70's Jeep J20, AMC 360 V8, T18 4 speed, Dana20 transfercase with a PTO winch.
Same body as the M886.
I have a friend with one of those.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
If you are serious about wanting one, there is one over on the base on the lemon lot. Outside looks good. I can get the phone number if you're really interested.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks