• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24V fan installation, w/ pics!

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Starting last month I knew I wanted to put my Deuce in the my town's Independence Day parade - I also knew that I tended to get just way too warm in my truck (engine heat and weather contributing) - especially while needing to man handle the manual steering. Tilting out the windshield would help but there'd be little to no air flow when nearly just idling down the road.

Then I cam across Andy1234's ad for 24V fans!

(not meaning to advertise for him, but hey, I think they're good quality fans at a great price from a trusted seller)

I've never done anything like this before so I sat in the truck with the fans and my VIC1 system (I'll post another thread in several weeks about the VIC1 when I get done) to try and plan where I wanted to put everything - i.e.: what was feasible, reasonable, and reachable - basically to find the the best solution while still working as I wanted. My brother counseled that I not mount the fans to the hard top because I'd still want to use them even if the hard top was removed.

Finally, I settled on placing the fans in the top corners of the windshield, off the center post. There were already two holes in that center beam, and I decided to make use of them. Even after the installation I don't think it reduces my visibility one bit. I certainly do not find them in the way of seeing what I need to see.

I figured I needed a metal plate to mount them to, so I had a local metal fabrication business cut me a 9"x4.5" plate that was 3/16" thick from my paper template. I didn't know what thickness I'd need, the fellow who made the plate suggested the 3/16"thickness once I explained my intentions. When I came back and paid, the plate felt way too thick, but now that I have it mounted the guy was spot on! Props to the knowledgeable and helpful folks out there!

The upper corners are rounded with about a 1/4" radius (I didn't measure, just hand sketched them), while the lower two are about 1.25" radius to match the fan base. All the edges are rounded too of course.

The fans are mounted to the plate at a 45 degree angle, right at the bottom left and right edges. This makes it so you can tilt the fans to blow at your face, down at your chest, or even use them as emergency defrosters - hah! I thought I might need some sort of rubber isolators or feet between the plate and the windshield frame to reduce vibrations, but I think the cork pad that comes with the fans does that admirably. Granted, I do have a hard top so that may add some stability to the window frame. There's only a very slight vibration if you run both fans on high, and I don't think I'll even worry about it.

I used self tapping screws to attach to the window frames, much like the self tapping screws in the dash that hold on the data/information plates. Except that these screws were a bit larger and had hex heads with attached washers.

I painted the plate, wire tie downs, and all screws. simply with Kyrlon OD spray paint, two coats of olive drab after one primer coat. The paint comes off the screw heads a little bit when you run them in, so before I painted the mounting screws I ran them all into the holes I drilled to establish the threads in the metal. All screws, nuts, bolts, washers, and lock washers I purchased from the local Ace Hardware store. I used stainless steel for the bolts to hold the fans to the plate, but they did not have the self tapping screws in stainless, so zinc will have to do.

The mounting screws worked PERFECTLY as grounding points for the fans as well - I got lucky here because I hadn't planned that. 8) The fan wires were smaller than I expected so I stepped up one gauge to 14 and powered both fans from the single wire. This helped to clean up the exposed wire so I would basically only see one wire running down the frame into the dash. I used 3 male and one 'Y' splitter rubber shell connector and about 10 feet of Prestolite wire from Erik's Industrial and Military Surplus

Prestolite Wire For Military Vehicles, 14 AWG, M13486/1-5
Rubber Shell Connectors w/ Ribbed Shell (qty 10) MS27144-3
Rubber Shell "Y" Connector MS27147-1

The rubber shell connectors added an 'authentic' military look, while also giving a versatility/ease of working on the electrical and being water proof (not that I actually plan on removing my hard top any time soon, but the truck isn't exactly water tight as is, and water could still get in from open windshields)

I drilled a 3/8" hole for the rubber grommet through the dash, but it didn't quite turn out as well as I had hoped. I centered it on the window frame post, but after I mounted the wire tie downs, the wire didn't run down the center of the frame... Also, at that point in the dash, two metal plates meet so it's twice as thick - which the rubber grommet has trouble sticking too. It stays in place as long as no one pulls up on the wire, because the 14 gauge Prestolite was a tight fight, but I still like it.

From the dash I piggy-backed the wire through the same hole/lip in the floor that the speedometer cable goes through, I then sat under the truck and fished the wire over the transmission (in front of the shifter) over to the battery box. I zip-tied the wire to a battery cable that was mounted to the frame (at this point I didn't feel like drilling a hole in the frame for another wire mount, and I felt the zip tie was sufficient). I wired the fans directly to the battery so they can be run while the truck is off. Obviously this can present a drain hazard to the batteries if left on. Soon though, I'll add a mastery battery disconnect switch:

Battery Master Disconnect Switch, 1331 / BA2205 / 16-03677

I also left about one foot of excess wire under the dash for any future work/modifications.

Finally, I've added a short video clip here so you can hear the fans and see how awesome they are! :-]

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow when there up on high they sound like they are moving some air
Oh definitely! I find I aim them a little lower on my face as to not dry out my eyes! Feels great though. Once I get the VIC going noise (truck or fan) shouldn't be a problem.

Very nice job and great text Valence! I did something similar a few years back, but the truck threw a rod and the task was never completed.
Thanks! The text write up on these kinds of posts is always what holds me back. I want to be thorough and clear in explanation, but concise as well. I can type decent enough, but I have to go over and over what I write cleaning it up so I don't run on and don't spell obvious things like "coat" as "cote" :razz:

I definitely like how your setup looks - and now I might have to paint my shiny silver fan blades a flat black too! Where is your low/off/high switch on your fans?

They are nice when you are stopped at a stop light,when their is no air flow.
No joke! Is that a CB you have there? I like how accessible it is, neat. That's a future goal for me...

Last edited:

wsucougarx

Valence, I couldn't help but notice the new window seals. Never seen new window seals before...so that's what they're suppose to look like...

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Valence, I couldn't help but notice the new window seals. Never seen new window seals before...so that's what they're suppose to look like...
HAH! My old windows were in sorry shape. They had fogging from sandblast over-spray from whoever CARC'd the truck (the drivers looked like a white fog from the outside, but didn't seem bad at all when sitting in the truck - except I'd hate trying to see through it if the sun was "just so"). They didn't seal at all, and was rusting out the INSIDE of the windshield frame.

The new ones fit very tight - almost more so than I'd like. I'm sure it's because of how much the brand new seal has to flex when you close the window. It'll get better over time - until they have to be replaced again or the truck is a pile of rust. :jumpin:

Valence is that a gun ring hard top.
I was right, someone did notice it in the edge of the pictures :D

Yessir, you are right. They quite litteraly hacked it into the top there, cutting through the support beams and leaving jagged edges. The roof has a bit of a sag now, and some rather rusty edges, but all & all, it's still quite serviceable.

Last edited:

steelandcanvas

I definitely like how your setup looks - and now I might have to paint my shiny silver fan blades a flat black too! Where is your low/off/high switch on your fans?
When cleaning my fans up (they were used and dirty) I accidently dropped one and broke the toggle switch. I tried to replace the switch, but it was like trying to get ten pounds of manure into a two pound box. So, I decided to run the hot, low speed, and high speed from both fans down a piece of 1/2" EMT conduit into the top of the dash. I then planned to use two Mil-Spec switches mounted in the dash to control the fans. I don't have photos that show that, but I didn't want to see a bunch of wires running down the windshield support, one wire is OK like you have done, but not 5 like I had to do. My EGT and Boost tubing also ran down this (painted OD) piece of conduit. Alot of thought went into this project, but when the truck threw a rod, it was a moot point to go any further. I will remove the fans and gauges from the old Deuce (A2) and install them in my A2C. I will use a thicker piece of metal (like you did) for my mounting this time. I used a piece of aluminum which was not sufficient enough to keep things from bouncing when driving on an un-even road. And yes, get those blades painted flat black! Again, great job, great photos, and great text (you even made a parts list!)

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry for the long delay in my response... :oops:

do the fans work good as defrosters to like when you get that inside moisture on the windows?
But to answer your question, honestly I have no idea. I can rotate the fans all the way down until they're blowing air on the windshields so I'm sure they'd be at least a little effective. Though, nothing can beat a proper cab heater and heated defroster in the winter.

I honestly won't drive the truck in the winter in Utah. They HEAVILY salt the roads (for all the drivers who refuse to slow down) and it'd just rust the truck to pieces in no time. Plus, the last thing I want is to be trying to stop 7 tons of fury on slick roads with how impatient and reckless other drivers can be.

great job valence. a very clean, professional look!
I appreciate that, deeply - I do. I did try really hard to "get it right the first time." The only thing I really wish I had done is powder coat the metal plate and wire tie downs. I've sand blasted my metal corner bows for the cargo cover and have left over marine green powder coat (my brother powder coated them, it's a bit thin but they look so much better). So I may pull down the fans and take the plate to my much more talented (and better equipped shop!) brother of mine. :grin:

Last edited:

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After I've made other various small modifications to the truck - particularly an Ibis Tek HMMWV light bar, a truck mounted Battery Tender, and an over head console for a CB - it occurred to me that I never did fuse protect the power line for my fans. The "what if" bothered me (What if the fans short out? What if the cord wears through somewhere that I can't see?). I didn't want to be left "holding the bill" if that happened.

With a recent Amazon order I picked up a second inline fuse just like I put on the overhead console power line. Of course it's super simple to install and I love heat shrink. Maybe I just love the added flex support to the wire, maybe it's the improved water protection, but I think it's just the fun of shrinking it in place! ;)

For reference: what I used:

WirthCo 31820 Battery Doctor In-Line ATO/ATC Fuse Holder with Cover
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DQ5JRUA/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_VlQmub031F732

I'm still using the included 30A fuse, but will eventually put a smaller one in. I like it because it's the same type of fuse used in the 24V Battery Tender battery mounted leads (so 3 out of 4 of my fuses are the same size/type).

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412604341.912110.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1412604358.349532.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks