• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

air ride seat shock part# if you need one

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been looking for this shock to replace the bad one in my truck. Does anyone know where I can buy a new one? TIA Just hung up with Memphis and they said they have tried to get these but Gabriel does not reconize the 615116 part number.(NIIN 00-489-7104) None at Saturn either.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
parts unlimited shock for the ski on snowmobiles is a perfect fit, but you have to clamp the inner sleeve of each end bushing in a fixture and enlarge the bolt hole very slightly. the part # is 04-237, on the shock is the brand name FORSA it is made in taiwan. i think this is for 2002 polaris and oem # is 7041027 / 43 / 45 / 53 / 57 / 58, 7041104 / 42 as i recall they were about $23

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Tom!
Eric

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
How do you test if the shock is bad or not? I have only the one truck, so can't compare.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How do you test if the shock is bad or not? I have only the one truck, so can't compare.
My floor has oil on it, I power-washed it 400 miles ago. It is pretty easy to compare one truck from the other(obviously). I had the seat(with bad shock) set where it supports me well but, when I hit a mild bump it will still bottom out(ouch). The other truck with a good shock, will comfortably float me over the same size bump. An easy way to check would be to unbolt the bottom shock bolt and compress and extend it and see if there is an even resistance as it is compressed (my bad one will just go in and out with no resistance at all).

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
just bounce on the seat, if the shock is ok it will not be just a spring action and it will not bottom out. most 30 year old shocks probably are weak.??

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
do a google for 'parts unlimited 04-237' you will get quite a few hits where you can buy this shock. you will need to clamp the metel sleeve that is in the center of each bushing, between two metal plates and drill it out to the correct size. (you need to hold it from turning and the heat of drilling will release it from the bushing and it will spin) if there was enough interest i could make i jig to hold them and maybe buying in quantity would save some $$

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I seem to remember Boyce Equipment having a few on Ebay a while back pretty cheap.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I ordered the Parts Unlimited 04-237 shock at my local sled shop and it came in today. I took it out of the box as they rung me up and I exercised the shock a few times and noticed it did not dampen everytime I compressed it (it did dampen everytime I extended it). I asked if they could look up the specifications(wondering if it should only dampen one way or both) and they said "Hey, It's made in China". It is what it is. I Don't know if it(new shock) should dampen in both directions (but I would think it would be consistent). I need a shock that dampens in the compression mode(every time). So, I said No Thanks send it back. I still need to replace my shock and I can't find one.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just hung up with Boyce(tried yesterday with no answer) and they have original seat shocks in stock! I guess I'll be ordering one from them. Thanks C.

Update. I just ordered(from Boyce) two seat shocks and few other small items on my never-ending wish-list.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
just compared the parts unlimited shock with a mil one. could hardly tell any difference, but it did take about 10 strokes for the oil to get where it wanted to be. if they have been stored on the side they may take a while to start working both ways. i have one in a seat i put it in about 8 years ago at least and it still gives a very good ride. goes down a little easier than up but so does the other seat i have with a working mil shock. boyce still has about 25 so get them if you need one, good price.

Aswayze

Just updating this for everyone who comes seeking info later:

I ordered a Parts Unlimited 04-237 shock online from www.alssnowmobile.com

Cost was $23.95 plus shipping. Shipped out the same day I ordered. Shipping costs were fairly excessive at $15.95 but at least these guys could actually be bothered to ship my parts unlike the 2 other snow mobile mail order companies who just sat on my orders till I finally cancelled.

I received a KIMPEX branded shock that showed 04-237 as the OEM number and 298754 as the KIMPEX part number. If for some reason the Parts Unlimited number fails us in the future, that KIMPEX number may come in handy.

As stated by others using snow mobile shocks I had to open up the bolt holes a bit. Original holes were .390 so I opened them up to just shy of 7/16ths then finished them with a hand reamer (because I am meticulous as a raccoon about metal working) In all reality, it could have just been drilled. All I did to get hold of the center bit was use a pair of vise grips pushed down into the rubber with my arbor press in order to allow it to get enough area to grip. Again, I used the press because I have it, a person could just as easily use a vise to squish the vise grips into place. The metal was fairly soft and drilled easily so this was a piece of cake mod.

Everything installed nicely and the seat is 100% better than before. My old shock was pretty ragged out. I am pretty sure that it had just enough oil in it to lubricate the piston and help it move easier so that I could get banged to death driving it down the freeway. With the new shock installed it is a MASSIVE improvement. I cannot suggest this enough to those of you who are suffering along with worn out spring ride seat shocks.

jasonjc

Just an update to this thread. The parts unlimited is running about $40 and the KIMPEX 298754 is running about $25 online.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks