• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

stuck in full throttle multi

citizensoldier

I fired up a old A2 deuce I have that's been sitting for a year. It went to full throttle and stayed there. I shut it down quick. I first checked return spring and it is fine so I pulled the access on the side of the pump where the shut down cable comes in. I worked the cable back and forth and its kind of sticky. It would not loosen up. I am assuming the governor is stuck? Is there a simple fix to this without pulling the pump? things to check? Ideas?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Nah, Richard knows not what he talks about.

Lane, pull the cover of the shutoff and you will see a lever under it. That needs to move freely. I bet it is stuck. Let me see if I can find a pic.

Last edited:

citizensoldier

I am not sure what a leer is but if you mean a linkage thing of a jig I moved that back and forth and it moves but is slow and sticky. Can you explain how that works with the governor and throttle linkage ? Spring action? I await a blow up of that[thumbzup] Never had a pump off or apart so I am not sure where to start.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That "leer" lever controls the amount of fuel going to the injectors. Stuck open means full throttle. A can of carb cleaner works wonders.

gimpyrobb

These pics are for Tony. You might have to pull the assembly out to clean it so it moves freely. If you do, don't loose the "wedge" that moves the fuel block inside the hydraulic head. It is not held in by anything, so remove it slowly(pic 1). When you go to put it back in, the "wedge" needs to line up with the slot in the fuel block, look in the hole it goes into- to see how to position it(pic2).

Attachments

gimpyrobb

Sorry, I was on the phone with another member. That lever should move with no effort. At rest it should be in the 7 O'clock position. If you push it toward the firewall and let go, it should "spring" back to the 7O'clock position. There is no spring that moves it, it is actually the weight of the fuel block moving up and down.

citizensoldier

You the man Gymp! That takes some of the fear out of pulling that apart and springs and pins falling all over never to be put back right again! Well tomorrow its time for my greasy pillow on the fender for my fat belly! :grin: Oh and unless you play guitar or pick your nose allot:mrgreen: cut them nails! Thanks again for the help.

Keith_J

It is VERY easy. The only thing that can get lost is the pawl on the end of the lever shaft. So put a dab of grease in the hole and shove the pawl back in after cleaning, the grease will keep the pawl in and lined up with the slot in the control collar.

The best solvent for this is Pro Shot Copper Solvent IV, it rapidly cuts the diesel varnish (even though it is a gun cleaning solvent) and rinses clean with water.

Only take the control lever apart if absolutely necessary and note EXACTLY how the splines interface!

citizensoldier

It is VERY easy. The only thing that can get lost is the pawl on the end of the lever shaft. So put a dab of grease in the hole and shove the pawl back in after cleaning, the grease will keep the pawl in and lined up with the slot in the control collar.

The best solvent for this is Pro Shot Copper Solvent IV, it rapidly cuts the diesel varnish (even though it is a gun cleaning solvent) and rinses clean with water.

Only take the control lever apart if absolutely necessary and note EXACTLY how the splines interface!
Is that Pro Shot similar to Hoppies gun cleaner? It sounds and looks fairly easy. This truck ran good with no issues before.She has just been sitting for a while. It definitely got my attention when it fired up and I was so releaved when the shut off worked! I thought maybe she was going to run away on me and air condition the block!

Keith_J

Is that Pro Shot similar to Hoppies gun cleaner? It sounds and looks fairly easy. This truck ran good with no issues before.She has just been sitting for a while. It definitely got my attention when it fired up and I was so releaved when the shut off worked! I thought maybe she was going to run away on me and air condition the block!
Pro Shot Copper Solvent IV is far more effective than Hoppes 9 or other types. Both on firearms and engines/parts. And because it dissolves in water, it is easier to use.

I used it for just your problem a few years ago. Took all of 15 minutes. Had the EXACT same problem on my MEP-002A generator's injection pump, an Ambac model which is a direct descendant of American Bosch (A-B became Ambac in the 1980s). Again, this solvent worked.

I've cleaned diesel pistons with this solvent using nothing more abrasive than a Q-tip. Same with gasket surfaces, Bosch injectors soaked overnight and were perfectly clean.

Just remember, it dissolves copper. So rinse with warm water if it contains copper (brass/bronze) and then oil. It burns on cuts and broken skin plus it will remove all natural oils so wear gloves. And it also works well on firearms. Best solvent for cleaning AR15 bolt carriers.

poppop

Lane, I had one that did that and was told when you shut these diesels down the governor tries to pull the rack wide open to keep running. When they set for a while they stick in the wide open position so run full open when started and the rack is stuck there. Made sence to me but I was told here on SS that was wrong. Still makes since to me though. I freed it all up with PB blaster.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW Lane, a similar incident happened to me tonight as well! Started the truck and ran it for about ten minutes then it just started running away. I just about crapped my pants! Ran over to it and pulled the engine stop and it shut down. Fortunately it was the throttle return spring that broke.
Angel must have been looking out for me!

Attachments

Keith_J

Lane, I had one that did that and was told when you shut these diesels down the governor tries to pull the rack wide open to keep running. When they set for a while they stick in the wide open position so run full open when started and the rack is stuck there. Made sence to me but I was told here on SS that was wrong. Still makes since to me though. I freed it all up with PB blaster.
Yes, the governor DOES pull the fuel control wide open when the engine is stopped. It is important to keep the engine stopped pulled because the engine could start if bumped and in gear. It is POSSIBLE that the transmission can be bumped into gear so keeping it pulled when engine is off is a safety issue.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks