• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

heavy duty tow bar

diverman555

In Memorial
In Memorial
Can anyone send me the specks and exact drawing of the 5 ton tow bar. The one that sells for about $650. I have been told you cant make one for as cheap or as good. My race team builds nascar chassis for me to specks and I have a diving friend that owns a steel shop. I might be wrong but I think we could build some for cheaper and as good. Nascar is pretty tough on us. So I need complete specs and pictures.
Lets see if we can make some and we can all save money that wants them.

The pics are just for fun for you to see different stages/ The blue car was one of my older bodies and we rebuilt body parts then it gets painted, then lettered, then lets go racing boys. Sorry not MV related but is the only thing other than my hot wife that really gets me going.

Attachments

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice pics.

Does it have a sprag or air shift?
Are you going to put ZXLs on it?
3-color or 4-color camo paint?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You mean the medium tow bar. You won't need a heavy tow bar unless you own a tank and need to recover one. Mediums take care of everything up to and including 5-ton trucks.

spicergear

I have one one of the non adjustable heavy towbars and like it. Yes it's really heavy but it also gives the pulling truck more leverage on the truck in tow with the longer length of it. Once you figure out how to hook these up in one-soldier fashion, they really rock. Again, they're very heavy. Mike's prolly right that you're looking for the adjustable medium duty one.

diverman555

In Memorial
In Memorial
maddog it would be the medium tow bar then just want to recover up to 5 tons, thank you for clairifying the rate for me.

and thanks for the comp on my pics, those were just to kind of show the steps. Starts way before that with a single piece of round pipe and build from there. Lots of really detailed welding, I leave that part to my guys, when I crash and I will crash I don't want it to just fall apart. lol

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One-man heavy tow bar use? My avatar wouldn't try it......neither would I. A 105 is is bad as I get.

DM, Hopefully all the tracks you run at have the "soft" walls. Good thing for Danica last week.

To keep this MV related Danica's car is green.

;-)

emr

Just sayin, its better to have a mil spec one, in my opinion " And for the cost at rallys it would be worth it to purchase one and copy then, just another opinion :) If I could get 650 for one i would sell the 2 i have :):):)

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
More than likely the only place you can get the "specs" from is the military or the factory.

Here is the tow bar manual

TM 9-4910-593-12&P

Attachments

135gmc

You definitely want the medium towbar - every time we had to move a heavy towbar, we used a forklift. When we had to tow one tank with another tank, we always used a forlkift to support the 'bar since we had to jockey the tow-tank to get the pintle to line up, and the exhaust from the tow-tank would get to you real fast.

The medium towbar is ugly enough to handle, but at least 2-3 guys can hook it up.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting, that drawing shows the hair clip pins, not the Lynch pins. Also has the 2 hole feet(that were supposed to be destroyed/obsoleted).

Maybe the pins were updated later as well?

I would never use the wire clip/hair pins on my tow bar.

indy4x4fab

Banned
Just for sh!ts and giggles I'll post up a couple pictures of the tank tow bar and a heavy duty tow bar, and a medium duty tow bar.

1,2, are of the tank tow bar (the heavy tow bar as its called)
3,4, is of a true heavy tow bar
5,6, are of a medium duty tow bar with m715 feet and two hummv in use

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I could be wrong but pic 5 sure looks like small towbar sitting with the M715 adapters. The tee pins are often a giveaway of its size. I need to drag mine out for pics.

DH, I agree and I think WM would agree too after losing half a towbar because of pins retained by the diaper pins. I thought there would be a more descriptive mil standard on that towbar but none came up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks