• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Converting Grote LED lighting to 12v setup

OH58D

Right now I have a fully functioning M101a3 with brand new 24v wiring harness, Grote 82212 tan bucket LED lights, and an adapter to plug the harness into a 12v system (bought on eBay).

The two rear lights are fine, but the wiring system is limiting for adding any side marker lights and rear license plate light. I really like the Grote LED rear lights, but have no idea how I would connect such lights to a standard 12 system. The lights have 4 numbered wires plus the ground. Is there are harness set up to connect these lights into a standard 12v wiring set up?

Thanks,
OH58D

OH58D

I was referring to a 12v civilian wiring harness, instead of the military harness. These Grote lights use 4 wires plus ground for each light.

OH58D

2 wires should be for the blackout lights.
Since I am using a Ford F250 Super Duty to pull it, I never get to see the blackout feature, unless I cross the wires; plugging # 21 into #25 if I am correct. I am hoping someone has experimented with this; wiring these lights into a civilian system.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm a little foggy on what you are trying to do here. Are you trying to make the black out lights operational from your F250 or are you looking to add side marker lights and a license plate light. There are ways to tee into the mil harness. As to the title of this thread, absolutley nothing needs to be done to the Grote lights for 12V operation. Maybe this thread will help a bit.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/trailers/83237-m101a3-dot-lighting.html

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Its very simple, on the "A" frame of your trailer, one of the arms(driver side I think) has a sheet metal box on it. That covers the wireharness. Thake that off and you will see where you can remove the "stock" military wire plug and install a "civy" trailer plug. When you swap the plugs, you can install the wires for side marker lights at that time.

OH58D

I'll try to be a little more clear. The 1998 trailer had the old bulb lights and a wiring harness that looked a little frayed. Put on brand new Grote LED lights and a replacement military wiring harness. All was plug and play and work fine. Installed an adapter (from eBay) that allows me to connect to my truck. So I am running 12v through the wiring. The rear lights are fine, and bright since they will operate on 12v.+

What I would like to do is add additional lighting on the trailer; i.e. side marker lights, license plate bracket with light, etc. The problem is that this military wiring harness only goes to the rear lights. I want to keep the Grotes but need addtional lighting. My thinking was to replace that military harness and install a normal civilian 12v wiring setup, but I don't know if that would work with the Grotes, since they are a 4 wire lamp + ground.

OH58D

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
it will work fine, just don't connect the black out running and black out brake wires.

Wire #23 and #24, just don't connect them to anything.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How about this.

Buy some led sidemarkers and a led tag light, a "Y" connector and some wire.

At the plugins on the tongue, split the #21 wire, insert the "Y" and the run all the new lights off of the "Y".

That way the trailer will stay some what stock and will work with 24v or 12v.

Attachments

Last edited:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look at Maccus's M101A3 build thread. He did everything you are thinking of doing. (guess I was 30 sec too late!)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pretty popular thread Gene. There are 3 links to it just in this thread alone! BTW, I got a sack of the rubber cord hooks, thanks. I'm guessing I will need to add some lights to my A3 now!

OH58D

Warthog,

That is the detailed information I need. I can keep the heavy duty military wiring harness but modify it for the extra lights.

Thanks to everyone!!!
OH58D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks