• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Has anyone swapped a light duty truck cab onto a Deuce chasis?

While looking for fiberglass tops for my truck (since the hard top on there is a little worse for wear) i see i can get them for around $700 or so. For that price i can get an entire crew cab cab from a silverado. There doesnt seem to be a whole lot of things what would need to be relocated and from what i have hear the frame railes are a standard 34" or so. I imagine the hood is much higher and would require a cab lift possibly but the factory cab is so tiny i would love to have more room, is this possible?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It all depends on what you want in the end, An historic MV or something else.

Oh i bought the deuce for its versatility, not any historic aspects. It would be nice to have it crew cab with power windows and a nice heating system and more room to make it the ultimate vehicle. you can buy 80s crew cab trucks all day for $1500 running im sure i can get one for $1000 not running or a nicer 90s truck and just scrap everything else.

Thats a pretty neat CUCV. I doubt id ever get around to changing the cab but seeing my crew cab silverado parked next to it, it has me wondering. The cab may not even need to be raised because the silverado frame rails bend upward where the engien is mounted and the Duramax/allison isnt a very small engine combo.

I just cant justify spending $700 for a fiberglass top or $500 for a steel, $250 for a heater kit that sucks anywaym gonna need all new door seals, no locking doors etc when i can just buy an entire modern cab for that price and probably install it in the same time it would take me to replace all of those things. I may take some measurements just for ****s and giggles and see how much of a pain it would be. The hardest parts i see are where the steering column falls and where the shifter falls. Gauges and wiring etc dont seem too important, transmission tunnel can be modified easily enough being id be running captain chairs up front instead of bench.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could probably get a 6x6 line truck for a few grand from a power company auction with everything you want.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, they all came with modern engines that are common and reliable.

I think it would be less work to swap a Multi fuel into a modern truck chassis (F600 or whatever)

I was actually eying up the international crew cabs but they are hard to find. reasons i wanted to use a deuce platform and not something else

Deuce transmission, trasnfercase, axles and frame a very solid and parts are readily available just about everywhere.

The reasons i want to use a silverado cab is for very similar reasons. they can be had cheaply, blower box and heater core as well as all window glass windo regulators etc are widely produced, the interiors are very nice and roomy I dont think it would look too horrible on a deuce. Side by side the trucks are the same size, the silverado cab is actually taller when measured from the frame

Kohburn

do it!

I actually have been mulling the idea of a cabover conversion - but I bought a deuce to make an RV

How much do you think the 12ft deuce bed weighs? im curious if im gonna be able to remove the bed with our forklit. it's a double reach truck so it will lift 3,000lb extended 6ft out or so.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have seen International S Series trucks, usually 4x4 with a dump bed and snow plow reasonable on auctions. For comfort that's the way to go. By the time you get done spending the money to make the deuce or 5 ton something it's not, it is cheaper to just get a good used truck already setup that way.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks