• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hand throttle install, Pics!

llong66

I recently bought a hand throttle kit for a hummer on Ebay, as you can see in the first pic it came with all the brackets, bolts, etc needed for the instal on a hummer. It also came with a really nice set of illustrated directions. Needless to say the install was a little different than on a hummer but the basic idea was the same. I removed the gas peddle and the large bracket that holds it in place, its only 3 bolts and the whole assembly comes out, the throttle cable it held in place with a simple push/lock connector. I installed the yellow bracket that holds the throttle end of the cable on the large plate thats part of the stock throttle assembly. One hole was already in the perfect place so I only had to drill one hole for this. You can see in the 4th pic that there was a small tab bend slightly over, I could see no reason for this and had to bend it back flat so the bracket would fit. To attach the cable to the stock throttle I drilled a hole in the peddle linkage right below the factory hole and attached a small "L". Then I snaked the cable around to the left of the steering collum and simply bolted it in place with 2 bolts. I had to put a cpl of zip ties around the hand throttle cable at the end to take up space as it did not pull in far enough to do anything in its stock length. I dont have a tach yet but I am guessing that when fully engaged it ups my idle to around 1000rpm.

Attachments

llong66

Thats what I was figuring on using it for, cold mornings, jump starts, and a wench when I get one. I want to try and get a little more RPMs out of it at the full position

llong66

1ton, thats a good idea, I never thought of that but I think if I tinker with this a little more I have the potential for a little more RPM outa this than going your way

llong66

Hello all! I thought I would just comment back on this since I installed it and let ya know how it works, In a word..SWEET! It has been great on cold winter mornings to be able to set it and let the truck warm for a bit. My install works really well, no problems with regular throttle operation or anything, releases perfectly when I turn it back CW. I would def. reccomend this if you can find one!

llong66

M1008driver, I would NEVER consider using it that way, like the sticker says, the brake does not disingage it and disingaging it by hand takes WAY to long in an emergency situation. The button in the center is supposed to fully release it when pushed, but in my install it does not. I don't know if they are all this way, or because a hummer has a stronger throttle return spring and the cable is not snaked like it is on mine or what.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Long ago I have a V3500 crew cab with a 4 speed. We used a bicycle shift lever as a hand throttle and attached it to the shifter. You could adjust the tension so that the spring would return it to idle. I used to drive with that more than the go pedal.

Barrman

I know none of us would ever think about using a hand throttle while going down the highway. It has already been pointed out above why that shouldn't be done.

However, if one were to drive a M35A2 with the hand throttle to hold speed. They wold find it works really well on flat and hills. The road speed would stay pretty close to where it started plus or minus 2 mph. In other words, it works great.

I put a hand throttle on my M715 when it had the 396 big block in it. It worked about as good as the M35 for maintaining speed.

I put a M35 hand throttle in a M1009. It will hold speed on flat ground but gain or loose up to 12 mph on any kind of slope up or down. Each click of the throttle can change speed as much as 8 mph. A vernier handle like the one in the kit above or like what Chris sells would probably make it easier to start out close to what speed you want. Otherwise, use it for idle speed control and maybe letting your right leg move around some for a minute or two while traveling.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is one thing I never thought of doing with my 1031...it might be time to try it though. Maybe I'll do that the same time I get around to installing the winch. :shrugs:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks