• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923 Dump Conversion with 8" dual stacks

Bjmca

Hi everyone, I wanted to share some pics of my new 923 that i bought from a member here a few weeks ago. I bought a super clean truck that needed nothing but still managed to make a project out of it. Don't worry I'm not one to start something and not finish.

Heres what I've done so far:

Removed the spare tire rack and davit crane
Added a dump kit from CC Surplus
Shortened the frame 14" to close the gap behind the cab
Installed dual 8" stacks with 24" shorty mufflers at the stack inlets
Reworked the air inlet to rear of cab
Changed the mudflaps to work with the dump
Replaced some gauges

Hope you enjoy the pics, sorry for the dirt in some of them, I just got done testing the new dump! :)

Attachments

Bjmca

For the dump hoist install I removed the 6 rivets per side the hold the crossmember in place installed a 3/8 thick plate in place and replaced the hot rivets with grade 8 hardware. These plates are removable to get to the suspension bolts below, I then welded the hoist to the plates.

Rear frame was chopped 14" to close the gap from the tire rack which would not work with my stacks and 1600-20's. I removed rivets from frame rails, unbolted braces, and slid the whole pintle ahead then reattached and reworked airlines. Welded on hinges and made some side plates. Sounds easy but was quite a project for one guy.

Bjmca

I originally installed dual 6" strait stacks no mufflers, had way too much cackle to them and needed ear plugs to drive it, even around my property:shock:. I got mufflers with a 5" inlet and an 8" outside diameter by 24" long, I welded them to 8" strait pipe, slash cut them and painted high temp black. They sound awesome now but I don't have any audio nor do I now how to put it up anyway.

Truck has 250 cummins, runs great but...... as I can't help myself to modify everything I touch, I will be doing a turbo install next weekend. I have all the major components already, just waiting on some gaskets.

Bolkbich

Nice job. Truck looks great. Looks like you having fun , the turbo and some more fuel is gonna make that truck run alot better. Im glad your happy with it.

Truckoholic

That is freakin awesome! I love to see this kind of stuff! I'm an 8 inch stack fan. I think it's a good size. Had some on one of my logging trucks. That is awesome with the dump bed too!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I like the safety lock for the bed, most dump conversions don't have anything like that (mine included).

flibob

Thanks for the great post with pics. I am waiting on my euc to pic up a 932 with the intention of doing something similar. Gotta love the safety on the bed and the nice welding.

Bjmca

I like the safety lock for the bed, most dump conversions don't have anything like that (mine included).
The safety prop is part of the kit. It was one of the last pieces I installed, but let me tell you, I would not go under that body without the excavator as a safety prop in the mean time. Life's short enough, the thought of being squished under a bed because of a failed line, cylinder, etc. Does not sit well with me:shock:

Bjmca

Nice job. Truck looks great. Looks like you having fun , the turbo and some more fuel is gonna make that truck run alot better. Im glad your happy with it.
I've been having fun even though the wife reminded me I didn't buy a project truck. I enjoy building things and have to be constantly working on at least 10 things, they call this ADD now and have meds for it.

Just incase I can't wake it up enough with the turbo setup, or I destroy it, I couldn't pass up that deal on the cummins big cam 4 complete and running with Jake brakes!

Thanks again :beer:

Neophyte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Awesome job!!! "If it ain't broke, add to the cool factor".....my kind of truck!

When I did the tail lights on my 817, I had the bed up while working on the wiring behind.....and absolutely thought of a line letting go....and getting squished. I had the safety stands up, but laying down , little room to move .....I added a couple cut oak logs between the frame and bed. It might seem silly, but didn't have a gantry crane for back up.

Having fun!!

jrod66

thats a nice truck man, I like the dump, the stacks look good, but what about rain? do you park it inside or have covers for them? keep us updated on progress

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks