• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine oil level

dirtyfingernails

Okay, I tried the search thingy--didn't answer my simple question. I must be searching wrong or the search option doesn't work very well. Anyway, I changed my oil today for the first time. Man what a job! I'm sending Jatonka a check tomorrow for the spin on kit. Okay, I added 5.5 gallons like the LO states. I ran the engine, checked for leaks, shut it down, waited a minute (as recommended) and checked the oil. It was low--added two more quarts, still a little low, added two more. Now it's at the "full" line indicated on the dipstick (one minute after shutdown). Is this the correct level? In other words, is it good to go at the full mark one minute after shutdown? Thanks.
Steve

Blood_of_Tyrants

Good to go. Have fun. Save the used motor oil, mix it 50/50 with regular unleaded gasoline, let it sit overnight and then pour all but the last half gallon in your tank. Instant $2 a gallon fuel.

jatonka

Oil Level

DFN, when you put 22 quarts in the engine you were correct. Checking the oil after it's been running and then shut down and waiting one minute as per manual is pure military intelligence. Who knows how long it takes to get the oil back to the pan? How warm was the oil? how level was the truck? How clean are the filters? Get what I mean? Check your oil cold before start up. It will be at the "K" on the word "CHECK" on the dipstick when it is correct. This is true and accurate information. I have the adaptors in stock. John Tennis

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Oil Level

I've found that cold, the oil reads apparently 1-2 quarts high ("K") as stated above, but the 1-minute test gives a close enough to correct "hot" result. I suppose it takes much more time to totally empty the filters.

wdbtchr

Does using John's spin on filter adaptors change the cold level since they don't leak down? I've been thinking of changing to the spin-ons the next time I change oil and wondered.

dirtyfingernails

Emmado,
You were right. I checked it this morning and it was about 2 quarts too high. I drained about two quarts out of the front sump and it reads right on the K as indicated in the PM magazine. Thank you all for the help.
steve

jatonka

The oil level cold will be closer to the full mark with my anti drain back filters on the adaptors. I will repost on this later. JT out

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks