• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is turbo mod worth it?

86M10086.2L

I have a 1985 m1009 and previously had a 86 M1008. Both of these trucks as you know have had abizmal grade climbing performance. Especially in higher elevations. I'm not looking for duramax power levels. Or crazy performance. I just want normal vehicle performance. My old 318 dodge van that had a whopping 135hp climbed the same grades with no issue. Neither of my trucks could climb the same hills, unloaded and achieve more than 20mph. Would it be reasonable for me to expect that a turbo kit will allow my truck to perform the way im looking for it to? Is the upgrade even worth it? Before you chime in my truck runs well good IP, good injectors over all good performance. It just hates steep grades and any get out of its own way. Thoughts?

Skinny

Your M1009 probably has poor performance because it has a 3 speed with 3.08 gears. Lower diff gears with a 700r4 would make that run alot better in acceleration and highway driveability.

You do run into the point where gearing is no longer going to get you up a hill faster, you just need more power. I think a turbo would help you out in this situation. I don't know what tire size you have on either truck but your sig shows an awful lot of added weight as well.

Do you have a lot of hills out on Long Island :)
(I'm from NY so I did pronounce that Lawng Eye Land)

86M10086.2L

Even with stock sized tires and the 4.56 on my M1008 it was the same result. Everything is stock on the M1009 as far as the drivetrain is concerned. Including tires. No there are not a lot of hills on LI but I do frequent the Catskills and the Adirondaks. That's the issue. Any other vehicle I've owned underpowered or not was capable of keeping its own on the steep grade. Even loaded. These trucks apparently just don't like it.

Croatan_Kid

Granted, I know this isn't exactly what you're asking, but...

I had considered a turbo on my 6.2. I could only find one around 2000 bucks or so, new. So, I looked for used ones and quickly got frustrated with the half assedness I found. I'd have to find or fab new parts to make it all work.

So, I started considering an engine swap. Gas? Ehhh....no....not for this truck ( M1008 ). So, what diesel? I wanted mechanical, not many electrical items, easy to work on, and maybe even get power out of....stuff like that. Everything that the 6.2 wasn't. I then found a '92 model Cummins engine for sale for 2000 bucks and away I went.

That's just my story. It's not for everyone and it's not exactly cheap, but I'm glad I did it. For your use and needs, from what I can tell, it would probably serve you well to slap a turbo on it. While I've never driven a turbo'd 6.2 (I would love to by the way), everyone says they're a completely different animal and actually tolerable for daily driving afterwards. I'm not sure that Banks still makes a kit for them, but if you have any mechanical ability, you can get most smaller turbos from a Cummins application to work. I've seen a few guys use an HX35/HX40 hybird on them with good results.

You gotta figure with natural aspiration, and what...155 horsepower...it's not exactly a powerhouse. They run out of steam quick, but they run great and get awesome mileage.

nattieleather

For what I've researched. If you want more get up and go. You will need to do a couple of different things. One is change the transmission from the 3 speed to a 4 speed (700r4). Add a turbo to the motor or better yet change from the 6.2 to the 6.5 Turbo. Then add a slighty taller tire to give you more road speed. That is what I've been able to determin from my studdy on the subject.

Oh and it's Lawn Guy land. My wife growed up on Lawn guy land. :)

USAWEAPON777

I know the cucv's are slow but 20mph is abysmal slow and not usual. If i floored my m1008 i could pull at least 40 up most grades. I would think something is wrong with the truck. They really shouldn't pull that slowly. How high in elevation are you? Why don't you turn up the injection pump some? Free mod that's easy to do for some more power. I definitely could feel the difference on mine.

86M10086.2L

I've considered turning up the IP, and doing marine injectors and so forth for a bit more umph. I'd love a Cummins for the truck but I think thats a bit much for a Blazer. and more work than it worth right now. I don't think its really power so much as its high altitude sickness thats the problem. Thats why I'm thinking turbo. I didn't buy this truck for performance. It just kills me that its drives like it does. Pulls my boat great, drive back and forth to work fine. But give it a hill or a freeway on-ramp and it's all over. Most likely I'll just leave the truck be and continue as normal. I'll see how aggravated I get the next time I go Upstate. That'll be the deciding factor.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
I put a Banks system on my 1009 with a 6.2, TH400, and 3.73 gears with 33" Swampers. I used to hate driving it anywhere that required driving up a significant grade, with the turbo, it's a whole new truck to me. If you can afford it, hang a turbo on it, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

ODdave

Im going to do a 4bt / 700r4 in a 1009 if I can ever find a clean tub. It should be a **** near bolt in if you get one from a chip truck.

ODdave

Should be a dam near drop in. The 4bt adapter and mounts where designed to be an almost direct replacement for gm gas and diesels in the p30 chassis trucks.

ProPower

I too had this same problem and have owned at least two dozen 6.2s, WOW what a TERD! . Then about a year ago I bought another one (the FREAK) from Lansing Mi. and holly s*#* this thing will absolutely blow the hides right off it and do donuts all day long! It even chirps the tires into second!! Somebody did something to it. I've drove other trucks with the IP turned up and they didnt run like this one. It has 187,000 on it, sever exhaust leak, no turbo, Tonka Toy and Eat my dust painted on the tailgate, Big Block power and 450hp painted on the intake! Im stumped , and would love to know what was done to this truck because it was obviously somebody's toy !

Croatan_Kid

Not to hi-jack, but the P30s used a fluid dampening motor mount. Most, if not all, of the 4BT to K5/10/20 swaps I've seen were done with self built motor mounts. It's not impossible, but also not a drop in. TN Diesel may make motor mounts for a 4BT.

hodgeb

20mph? Surely you jest. It couldn't be that bad, especially at those lower elevations. Keeping speed (in this case, 35-40mph on a steep grade (15%, maybe a bit more?) hasn't been all that difficult - though, granted, I don't think I could've gotten any more out of her to go much faster. This is at 4500-6200 feet elevation, by the way. I got similar performance out of my G30 while driving from SD to San Francisco (also a TH350) - I never got much under 55mph, with the van fairly well loaded.

M1009 and G30 were/are 'stock'.

I've heard people get the best results out of a transmission upgrade, whether it's an OD or a TH400 or something like that. Three speeds, cut where they are, don't really make things like acceleration all that fun. I'd be doing that long before I put a turbo in, personally: it'd be a bit cheaper and, I'd hope, easier. And I think it'd provide more benefit.

hodgeb

I too had this same problem and have owned at least two dozen 6.2s, WOW what a TERD! . Then about a year ago I bought another one (the FREAK) from Lansing Mi. and holly s*#* this thing will absolutely blow the hides right off it and do donuts all day long! It even chirps the tires into second!! Somebody did something to it. I've drove other trucks with the IP turned up and they didnt run like this one. It has 187,000 on it, sever exhaust leak, no turbo, Tonka Toy and Eat my dust painted on the tailgate, Big Block power and 450hp painted on the intake! Im stumped , and would love to know what was done to this truck because it was obviously somebody's toy !
You must find out how it was done, and tell us!
:grd:

Croatan_Kid

richingalveston: Check my sig :D

The 4L80E is kind of a pain to do with the 6BT. Again, not impossible, but expensive and still not very strong, even after upgrades. I'm probably close to 900 ft/lbs at less than 3000 rpm. That'll usually tear the insides of a GM auto apart, if not, possibly bust the case. The controller can be pricey too. I've kinda thought about swapping in a built 47RH trans and an Atlas to match, but I kinda like the NV4500 and it's already in there. lol!

southdave

I have done the turbo thing on two trucks with the 6.5 stuff. The 1009 was my learner, by the time I did the 1028 I had it down. I live in southwestern Ohio, which is mixure of hills and flat. On the 1009 climbing hills about 300ft the boost climbs alot( 11 13 psi) and temp climbs esp. with the 700r4, it tend to jumps alot between 3 and 4th. I swap in 3.43 axle which help out alot.. the turbo is great on the flat as one could imagine.
Acould of things to remember with the turbo swap
match the injectors with turbo
adjust the fuel delivery for the turbo
use 185 t stat.. add after coolers on oil and trans fluid.
the turbo creates heat
another thing consider, pulling the motor and set the engine up for the turbo ie go though the lower end of it.
600 buck for the machine work including re decking head
250 for ceramic coated pistons
200 300 for the bearing lower kit
150 for gasket kit
head studs if you want..
turbo parts off 6.5 are about 200 300 for turbo and manifolds..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks