• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Seabee markings

M215

Hello SS,
It is time to put the markings on the GMC 2.5 T dump truck, I had planned on doing it as a Seabee truck.

I don't know if the Navy ever used the GMC M215 dump during the 50's or 60's or how they marked their vehicles.

When did the fighting bee logo appear? When viewing some CCKWs from the Korean era they did not appear with the bee logo.

What color (yellow or black) and size were the markings on the door and bumpers?

The Navy's system used a number for different type of vehicles, what would a 2.5 T dump be numbered with?

Hood numbers?

Any help will be appreciated, Karl

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Letters on the doors should be in black and 3" tall. 95-xxxxx would be applicable to a deuce. NAVFAC P-300 is in the TM section and covers this stuff in great detail. Of course I don't know how it relates to your Korean War vet there. Check with CBVET, he was in the 'bees and might have seen some GMCs early in his career.

cbvet

Jeez Kenny, how old do you think I am? I was 6 when the Korean war ended!
Actually, the only trucks I recall in 'Nam were military M 35's (M44?) & the like, and some "civilian" IH dumps & flatbeds. The deuce I drove in '68 was an M35 gas. I think it was built in '57.
Oh, & my "career" was 2 years.
Eric
CBVET

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry Eric, no harm meant. If you were in during '68 I kinda figured some old GMCs were still around. Am I forgiven? Please?

amanco

This a ca 1966 photo I found some where (Maybe here, I have no clue) but this is not a SeaBee truck. The MSTS on the door stands for Military Sea Transportation Service so this was just a straight USN truck, not SeaBee. I think on the far left side of the pic you can see a small white stenciled 3, the last digit of the truck number. I am just going to put modern style USN numbers on my truck and if I find out different, I'll change it. Next time I am in Gulfport, I am going to go to the Seabee museum there on base and look at the old battalion cruse books and see what info I can get on period truck markings.

Attachments

amanco

I have a metal Seabee stencil with the correct logo (Sorry, the oil board stencil currently available is not correct) but it is not the right scale. I can make a high res scan and e-mail it to you and you can use the pattern to make your own stencil. Can you measure your logo and give us the correct outside dimension of the circle?

Attachments

CGarbee

Rick Larsen at http://www.milstencil.com has the Seabee logo listed on his "paintmask" page. I think that he also has it in oilboard stencil as well if you ask (not listed on the website that I could see). His product can be scaled if you don't like his stock size...
Good luck.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chris, should be 8" IIRC. I have a set of the paint mask stencils from Larsen. Look pretty decent and he sends a left and a right. Seems to me that the 'bees only use the one with the Seabee aiming left. Keith, if you don't mind, can you make a scan for me too?

cbvet

Just a note.
The border around the Bee, is actually rope in regular prints. The stencil Keith shows is correct. The ones Rick Larsen sells are very nice, but the shape of the border segments is not the same.
Eric
CBVET

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Son of a gun! Eric, you are so right. I went out and got my ones from Rick and not only is the border different, the face on the fighting bee is different as well. I also scrolled up and compared them to the actual trucks pics above. All are the same as yours Keith. To further confirm, I compared them to pics of the scrapped NMCB74 pipeline truck I had. Check out the pic. I need to befriend a bee and scam me one of those stencils.

Edit: This one from Rick Larsen is way off. Many many differences. I'll try to get my wife to scan it or I'll try to take a pic of it. A few minutes ago when I found out it wasn't correct I figured I'd go out and waste them on the wrecker. Now that I've actually compared them side to side, these will be going away. Bummer!

Attachments

amanco

I just fired off an e-mail the the Seabee Museum in Gulfport to see if they knew of any wat to get my hands on an oil board stencil.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks