• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 right head light

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A friend of mine had an M37 that burned out lights. Grounding was the problem. Remove and clean the grounded wire end and the surface it touches, then replace with grease or anti-seize compound under it to prevent further loss of ground to water and rust contamination. You can trace the ground wire back from the headlight bulb to where it is attached to the body.
Regards Marti

CGarbee

Since the headlight ground is to the fender, you also want to check the tightness of the bolts attaching the fender to the body and ensure that you have a good ground path there since you need a good ground path from fender to frame.
You may also want to check for excessive vibration of the headlight assembly (make sure that the four shoulder bolts holding the mounting arm to the fender are tight and that the rubber gromments aren't rocks...). John Bizal at Midwest Miliatary has the rubber bushings and fresh ones really help keep the lights from bouncing around excesssivly (more a problem on my diesel than on a stock gasser, but you never know...).
Good luck.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
CGarbee makes good points about this problem. It has been probably 25 years since I dealt with the problem, so I could not remember exactly where the ground went to. I think I actually ran a wire from the headlight bucket to the frame of the vehicle to be sure of a good ground at all times. Bad grounding has caused me more problems than any thing else in wiring.
Regards Marti

acetomatoco

Ground....and don't forget on the later ones with composite lights... There are two grounds for each housing...aCE

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks