• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Soon to be Mog owner

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good Morning folks I wanted to give you the update on my Unimog! I pulled a trailer out to Wash. State a couple weeks ago to pick it up and it was in even BETTER shape than the pictures made it look. I bought it from a very nice guy on Orkas Island off the coast of Wash. the vehicle came with a complete manual set all the original tools, troop seats and all the original electrical which had all been replaced with a Pertronix system, it even had two full sets of tire chains and the original tow bar! After we got it loaded on the trailer and started our LONG trek back to ND, (land of holy crap its cold) I got to spend almost an entire day in the shop washing the Mog off. Mechanically all seems to work perfect, the 4 wheel drive and Diff locks are all in order and the Randy, the guy I bought it from could not have been a nicer fellow, a true pleasure to do business with! My only project to get going on now is there is one spot of rust that needs to be fixed (cutout and new metal welded in) and I need to get the spare tire carrier mounted! All in all this has so far been a very positive experience and I do have a lot to learn but am looking forward to it! I also wanted to say thanks very much to the people who have already helped me with parts and reference sources take care folks and I will keep you posted!
Karl

Good Evening folks, well I am certainly getting out of my normal "M" series military truck comfort zone, next week I will be buying my first Unimog, its a 69 404 gasser, it looks to be in very good straight condition, mechanically all appears to be as it should, tires are 95% or better, it comes with its original spare, tool kit and manual. The body has one small rust spot on the right fender, its about 2 inches long and will need to be repaired. My question is could someone direct me to the best source for information on this vehicle, books, websites or general reference material, this is completely new to me and I know very little BUT need to learn a LOT very fast! I am reasonably mechanically oriented since I do all the mechanical work on all my trucks, I currently own a 10 ton, a 5 ton and two Deuces, so needless to say this is new territory for me, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks very much for your help and I will post pics when I pick the truck up!

DSC00109.JPGDSC00122.JPGDSCF2506.jpgP2010048.jpgP2010046.jpgP2010050.jpgP2010047.jpgP2010051.jpgP2010049.jpgP2010052.jpg

Karl/KK

Last edited:

DieselBob

Well I can't help with knowledge or manuals but congratulations on the MOG. Have thought of getting one myself but already have my hands full as it is.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Congrats Karl. Mogs are great. The 404 is easy to work on and a lot of fun to drive. Just don't get in too big of a hurry :)

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks you guys very much for the info, I have already placed an order into expiditionimports, seemed like very nice folks to deal with. Eddy I certainly appreciate your offer on manuals and it would be terrific to get some GOOD reading/learning material. My email address is karl.kostman@netcenter.net Its looking like the only thing I have left to do is to go and pick up my new Mog, Oh did I tell you guys thats is going to be a 3600 mile recovery! My butt gets stiff just thinking about it! Thanks again you guys and I will have pics that will be posted on Monday!
Karl

1300UnimogDownUnder

Hi Karll/KK. Happy new year all.
Welcome to themog owner ship list. Yes they are differnet but just the same. The Best to drive off road, you will learn a new style. Going over everthing in your path. But always take a buddy in another Mog. Hes the only one how will be able to get to you to help.

Stephen

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Stephen I look forward to getting it at to starting to learn a totally new vehicle, both the driving and the servicing of the vehicle, I have ordered an operators, and service manual for it already, I am also looking for another set of wheels for it, I would like to get a set of Ag V-tread tires for off road use only, we have a lot of snow here and I think it would be fun to try those out! Thanks again Stephen!
Karl

saddamsnightmare

January 23rd, 2012.

Another source for parts and manuals would be either:
Unipaser (United Parts Service)
Palto Alto, Ca.

Attn. michael Smith

or Swiss Army Vehicle
Fayetteville, AR

Attn: Willi Brandt!

Remember that the 404 is set up for a normal running speed of between 60 and 70 KMPH, learn your truck and do preventitive maintenance, and keep it out of the hands of Springfield, illinois Mercedes Mechanics, because they have no clue about Unimogs even with the shop manual in front of them.....

I love mine, but it did much better in Texas with two good old boy mechanics, its the thinking ones that will screw it up, as the truck was designed to be repairable by German farmers.....! Good Luck!:neutral:

goat whisperer

Very nice Mog! Looks like Ex-Swiss Army...
i´m not sure if my english is good enough, bud i´ll try it:
Unimog - wo wir durch kommen, kommen andere nicht mal hin...
Unimog - where we come to get through, others do not even go there

Have fun!

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks much Goat and your English sure sounds fine to me, your from Bremen, cool that is where my Mog came from! and thanks for your nice comments, always appreciated!
KK

goat whisperer

I found one more... a special one :roll:
The "Schwingfeuerheizung"... a beast of a heater.
I dismounted mine, I was afraid of it :???:

5415_0011.jpg

If anyone is interested in these pics please send me a PM or mail...
I´ll send you the pdf files...

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks